Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any love for the SW performance Center 1911?

+5
LenV
Jon Eulette
Wobbley
javaduke
L. Boscoe
9 posters

Go down

Any love for the  SW performance Center 1911? Empty Any love for the SW performance Center 1911?

Post by L. Boscoe Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:24 pm

I stumbled across the Smith offering the other day when I was complaining to the Performance Center about the slow service on my new 41.  Looks like it would be a good start, and cheaper than LB, for example.
That added curiosity , as I have never heard one of SW's mentioned here.

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Any love for the  SW performance Center 1911? Empty Re: Any love for the SW performance Center 1911?

Post by javaduke Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:40 pm

SWs are nice guns, but not particularly designed for the bullseye shooting. I don't have much experience with spherical bushings, but I doubt it would be as easy to fit properly as the regular one. And it would probably require a trigger job too.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Any love for the  SW performance Center 1911? Empty Re: Any love for the SW performance Center 1911?

Post by bruce martindale Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:53 pm

From my observations, they seem to lock up tight and have good general fit up and a good trigger. I haven't used one nor seen any in use. I would buy one at the right price.
Not sure what the new price is or if they are still made.
There's a video on how they built them somewhere.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:14 pm

The most common one is a Briley bushing.  I have one on a long slide which shoots well, but I don’t shoot it much.  The theory behind it is that as the slide recoils the ball will pivot to allow the unlocking process.  In a regular bushing the actual contact area is shorter.  A longer “bearing” surface allowed by the ball bushing gives the effect of a tighter fit up.  You pay your money and take your choice.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:19 pm

Longer bearing surface on a barrel bushing does nothing for accuracy. Diameter and play/tolerance affects accuracy.
No custom BE guns come with a Briley/Spherical bushing.
When barrel goes up at the breech/locking lugs, the barrel cams tighter in the bushing. Spherical bushing cannot do that by design.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

hamdenman, ric1911a1 and 10sandxs like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:08 pm

I have a S&W series E 1911 SS The trigger is really good the slide was looser then I would have liked so I had ACC-RAILS installed, The bushing fit wasn't that wonderful , So after buying Briley chokes before, I tried one of their spherical bearings now I measured the barrel diameter several times and I ordered a bushing in that size and one bigger and one smaller, when I got them none of them fit the one I sized would just start on one end of the bushing, SO I going some jewelers rouge mixed it with oil and sat in front of the TV for a few hours, slowly polishing my way through the bearing, IT IS TIGHT, just as tight as a NM bushing and bearing that I have that was done by the builder at the rock island armory in my fathers day right before LOCK UP you can feel the bushing drag on the barrel, THEY are tight! I by no means want to match wits on bullseye with Mr. Eulette, BUT Wobbley is right, as with the barrel getting smaller in diameter as the barrel moves forward through the bushing allowing the chamber to squat to receive the next round, then  slide goes forward to the largest diameter of the barrel and lock up, I can put a 3/8 brass rod down my barrel and I can not move the barrel in any part of the bearing or the bushing holding the bearing, and the fit between Brileys bushing and the slide is very tight! TY to Mr. Jones at ACCU-rail for drilling a hole in my FL guide rod to aid install and removal.
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:34 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:Longer bearing surface on a barrel bushing does nothing for accuracy. Diameter and play/tolerance affects accuracy.
No custom BE guns come with a Briley/Spherical bushing.
When barrel goes up at the breech/locking lugs, the barrel cams tighter in the bushing. Spherical bushing cannot do that by design.
Jon
Maybe not anymore. But the entire 952 series came with spherical bushings. A true dedicated Bullseye pistol. They were discontinued because of price point. Their accuracy was never questioned.
LenV
LenV

Allgoodhits likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:58 am

Are the magazines standard 1911 type?

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:39 am

Still remember a conversion with an old 2650 club and pretty much lifetime All NG team member.  Noticed he was shooting a S&W 1911. Personally not holding S&W 1911s in high esteem,  I asked him about it.  He said that after retirement he and a friend were shooting on a S&W sponsored team.  S&W provided the team with their best 1911s.  He said that the 1911s needed a good going over by a competent bullseye gunsmith but after that made good paper punchers.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by 824tsv Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:05 am

I have one as well as a Colt Gold Cup Trophy. I've found that both shoot the same, accuracy is comparable. When the S&W PC pistol came out it had more features than the Colt which probably made it the better buy at the time but Colt has since revised the Gold Cup Trophy to include some the features of the S&W. I like the pistol a lot. The magazines are standard 1911 8 rounders.

Any love for the  SW performance Center 1911? Img_0911
824tsv
824tsv

shanneba likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:38 pm

bruce martindale wrote:Are the magazines standard 1911 type?
yes
Cmysix
Cmysix

Allan Campbell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down