Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question on Hammerli 120

3 posters

Go down

Question on Hammerli 120 Empty Question on Hammerli 120

Post by az224 6/11/2023, 10:26 pm

I just picked up a Hammerli 120, while in the gun store I used a snap cap to check the trigger/extraction, when I opened the action after dry firing, I noticed the snap cap was extracted and ended up in front of the bolt in what would normally be called the loading ramp, I didn't think anything about it since I opened the action slowly. Once I got to the local range I noticed that the extraction was pretty dismal with the majority of the empties only 3/4ths of the way out of the chamber. Turns out the gun has beaucoup clearance between the bolt face and the extractor, in  the neighborhood of .055", the other thing that I noticed is that the bolt face is not recessed for the cartridge head. Closing the bolt indicates tight lockup though, and the empties look fine, no swelling of the brass anywhere. Question for any 120 owners who are reading this: does the face of you bolt look like mine?

I haven't removed the extractor to inspect it, I will do that tomorrow after I get a container to catch the plunger/spring in case they come out. At  this point I'm thinking 1. a bad extractor either broken or the wrong one, or 2. a modified extractor. I did multiple searches looking for an extractor and so far it doesn't look good. Nice shooting gun so I'd really like to get it squared away.

az224

Back to top Go down

Question on Hammerli 120 Empty Re: Question on Hammerli 120

Post by rsp 6/11/2023, 11:31 pm

Mine is the same way, no recess in the bolt face. Also same crappy extraction. However, it was very ammo dependent. Mine likes the cheap Norma Tac-22 and can extract it just fine 99% of the time. The SK Pistol Match Special I shoot in most of my other match .22s is terrible to extract in the Hammerli 120.

rsp

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 6/12/2023, 7:41 am

I have owned three 120's in the past. One was close to new (in about 1978), others more recent and well used. All of them could be "iffy" on extraction, often requiring a couple of strokes of the lever to get the used case out and a deft clockwise twist of the wrist to drop the case onto the bench.

Try some Eley (yellow box Target or others).

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Question on Hammerli 120 Empty Extractor clearance

Post by az224 6/12/2023, 8:02 am

RoyDean wrote:I have owned three 120's in the past. One was close to new (in about 1978), others more recent and well used. All of them could be "iffy" on extraction, often requiring a couple of strokes of the lever to get the used case out and a deft clockwise twist of the wrist to drop the case onto the bench.

Try some Eley (yellow box Target or others).
Thank you rsp and RoyDean, I have no idea why Hammerli allowed for so much clearance between the bolt face and the extractor face. I found a welding shop up in Payson, Utah that specializes in micro welding, I am going to ask them how much they'd charge me to build up the extractor face by .010", I did a quick check on the clearance on a Russian hunting rifle and also a Winchester 75 target rifle and there is nowhere near that kind of clearance.

az224

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down