Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

practicing the mental part of shooting

+3
ronadair
cobbwebb
Jack H
7 posters

Go down

practicing the mental part of shooting Empty practicing the mental part of shooting

Post by Jack H Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:53 am

More from my archived list posts.  adding to this...
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t21294p50-what-are-you-doing-to-improve-and-is-it-working

Sept 2004
Once we get into the basics of bullseye and can actually understand trigger and sights, we can practice what we have learned and forever try to engrain it into our shooting. What I would like to see is a discussion on practicing the mental part of shooting. Jack H

I have noticed that the days when I am shooting best, are the ones when I am actually thinking continuously about doing what I am supposed to do in a perfect shot. I am in constant thought day and night, and before a match I am extremely confident and sort of as I say "Bring my scores to the match" I kind of know what I should be shooting and am going to shoot. It has a lot to do with confidence in my case. I am sure a lot of athletes train by picturing what they are going to do or supposed to do. To me the mental part is very important, as I don't practice a lot and lately none at all. Regards, Faisal

Just got my 2004 Camp Perry Awards Bulletin in the mail, and was flipping through it reminiscing... I shot very well, conditions allowing. The great part about shooting in the adverse conditions at Perry is just that. The handicap comes from the mental part of the game. Everyone must shoot in the same crappy conditions, if you focus on the matter at hand there are less problems. Shrug off that "5" that you shot because of the wind and get back to business. As Faisal said good days come when all is in order and your thoughts are on that shot(s). What is also important is that when you shoot poorly, don't dwell on the bad aspects. I had a horrible Prelim match. Everything that could have gone wrong did, but through experience and persistence I was able to get through it. The rest of the week went well, conditions allowing. But there was plenty of lows, but with confidence I waded through it all and finished well. A lot better then it felt, that's for sure. I learned a lot from Perry this year and will be back strong for next year. I have a few un-finished goals to achieve! Namely beating Faisal and achieving the Pres. 100 to name a couple... One must have goals! I was also proud of a couple local league members that beat me on Wednesday night, and I was shooting well! Congrats! Ok enough rambling... Keep it simple and stay focused, it's easy! Oh...did I say practice? Mentally yours, Brian David

Not so much for practice, but for the mental part of shooting.
How often do you have a good slowfire string running only to blow the last shot? This happened to me often enough that I started to think about the cause. In the shop, when I would have several hundred parts to drill, things would go fine until the last few parts. Then I would make a mistake, like drill the wrong end or break the drill.
My theory is this: When we get near the end of a task, we start thinking about what comes next and stop thinking about what we are doing. Watch for this and you will be surprised how often it happens. Even when driving someplace. You won't be off the exit ramp yet and you will be thinking about McDonalds and...
Regards, Ray

This also has a lot to do with how you deal with crisis and how you teach yourself to deal with crisis. This is mental training also A 5 can be a crisis for some, so can be a malfunction on the line or even an alibi. Some fall apart in such crises; some just smile, deal with it calmly and move on. A small example is: One a shooter is changing targets and is running behind others, everyone is waiting for him to do his thing. Some would run back to the line they are concerned about everyone else waiting and that they are all looking at him. Not good. Others would take their time, calmly do their thing and walk back. I was taught this very early on, Our NJ CIV HM, pointed this out to me as I was running back to the line 'Faisal, BE Shooters don't run back to the line', or something to that effect, but that immediately got ingrained in to my memory, especially when it was coming from Dave. Believe it or not I was honored that Dave noticed it and pointed out to me, It really felt good that I was given advice from a HM and that Dave talked to me SmileSmile In my first year at Perry, which was last year, in the Practice session, I had problems with my .45 and anything you can image went wrong, brass catcher flying, ammo falling over and getting mixed etc. I just learned, fixed things and went to the Preliminary and had a good result. In the .22 I was doing great and last Rapid Fire I had a alibi in the first string, second and malfunction in the alibi string also. I immediately went to Larry Carter, got the mags tuned and was ready for the team match. This year no alibis or problems. Loved the wind SmileSmile When I started, I was attending matches when I did not even have a permit and posting questions on this list. That was all mental training also. I was preparing for everything and knew what I wanted to do. I shoot best when I am calm and not thinking about scores and having a good time. Regards, Faisal

Well, the mental thread question lasted about 2 responses and then we went to magazines, ships, clips and weighing powder charges. Probably best for me, since in a quest for mental success, I'm entering the match seriously under gunned (pardon the pun). However, if I may submit an opinion, the mental aspects of shooting far outweigh the attention most shooters give it. But, do not let these aspects overtake your actual shooting. How do you ride a horse without falling off? Simple, ride the horse as fast as it runs. When do you need mental composure and control? Just while completing the shot of course. Take a break the rest of the time during the match. On the other hand think and work like the dickens for every possibility and contingency you can imagine when you are training. Keep in perspective the Physical, Technical, Mental and Emotional parts of completing a shot and competing in a match. For me, there are at least two parts of the mental side. The first part is dealing with my own performance such as being anxious, getting the shot process flowing, letting the shot go rather than forcing it, bringing expectations to the line, etc. Training on the parts of each shot and then having the mental guts to trust the training and just let the shot process take over is the best I can do for this part. When shooting matches, I try to observe and adjust, not judge. The second part is dealing with external factors such as line distractions, rain, wind, lighting, alibis, bad breaks, etc. The only solution here again that I can find is experience. Don't just train on the sunny days; shoot in the rain, at a different position, fire .45 rapid first, or any number of things to prepare. Again, when challenges arise, leave the expectations behind, but perform to the best of your ability. As noted before, good judgment comes from experience and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment. If you consistently shoot better in "practice" than in matches, then some of these external issues may need to be considered and addressed. If you consistently shoot better in matches than in "practice", you might want to review the possibility of improving your "internal motivation" rather than focusing on external motivation. I would expect a more balanced approach would be helpful. Then again, I may be full of it. Cecil Rhodes

I too believe that the mental aspect is ultimately important. I used positive affirmations to help me become Distinguished. I constantly read (Out Loud) a card that said " I am the best Service Pistol shooter in Oklahoma and Texas " (Result ...won Service Pistol @ Texas and Oklahoma State Shoots in 2000 ...Took Second, First Non Disting / Oklahoma Regional in 2000) Initially your subconscious will talk back to you and explain that your statement is not true and why...... If you continue to make the effort in your physical shooting, the doubts of your subconscious will become less and less. Continue to tell yourself that you are the best at what you want to accomplish......It works !!!!! Take that hardball gun and marry it. Make sure it is the best piece of equipment you can afford. Make sure that it is the part of the equation that is not in any way suspect. You only need to be concentrating on "One" thing ..... Performance ....Your mind has to be confident that Trigger Control, Sight Alignment, and Follow Thru are the only things that matter. Learn your trigger. Create a sight/shooting plan and stick with it. Shoot all of your guns with Iron/Open sights. Shoot your Hardball gun whenever you can. Use it when others have their wadcutter / scoped guns on the line. Average 270 or better and you will be Distinguished while the others are still looking for the magic potion (265 at Perry almost always gets 10 points) To close, do not ever plant a seed of failure..... From this day forward, you used to suck at match shooting. You make/create the positive affirmation that will get you where you want to be. You do not suck at it now and never will again. I would love to hear how you progress. Bruce Lilley

As a struggling Master with many goals still to achieve, the mental game is something I have played with extensively. Here are the things I work on to help my mental game. Positive attitude, no matter what happens. Consistent shot process from start to finish, the same every time. Keep it simple, think of as little as possible, and preferably something like, trigger, keep it going, 10, "X" or something positive. Confidence in your hold, grip, ammo, sights, gun, or any one of the many variables we deal with is very important. I am at the point where if every shot is not a 10 or an X I am very critical on myself, evaluate the error, but make the required adjustment and move on to the next shot/string. Sometimes this is not possible, that is to figure out just what went wrong. Don't dwell on it, move on. I have as many shots that felt "off call" but fall into the 10 ring some how. These shots seem to bother me more then that "on call" 7 at 7 o'clock does. No such thing as "falling apart" If it happened to you it can happen to them. Wind, early/late shots, crossfires, double alibi's or anything the takes those precious points away. The only other thing that comes to mind is to have a sense of humor, be "mello" enjoy your time at the match. It's not a race either. Take your time and enjoy the full program all the way through. OK it is late I must grind out a meager living in the morning to continue to afford bullets, primers and powder. I hope my ramblings help someone achieve greatness. Regards, Brian David

The mental thread is one I really want to continue. I have been working on this response for the last week, but have been too busy (and perhaps thinking about it too much). I like a lot of what Cecil said, however, for me, the mental aspect starts long before the shot. Maybe it is because I am not as experienced, but I need to start preparing myself mentally long before a match. Here are some of my thoughts about the mental side, and particularly those things we can do when we can't actually pick up a gun for dry or live fire. Like most, I spend a lot more time in the car and at work than with a pistol in my hand. Visualization. I often visualize just before taking a shot, but if that is the only time I visualize, it does not work as well. Just as with everything else, the more time spent practicing (or would it be training?) the easier it is to perform when it counts. I have been reading a book about successful Canadian athletes (Psyched by Orlick and Partington) and in every case, they attribute part of their success to visualization. The common thread to all of them is to make it as detailed and accurate as possible. Use all of the senses. The timing of the visualized event should be the same as the actual physical event. Mentally see, feel and hear (maybe even smell) all of the experiences of actually shooting. Keep it positive. In the visualization always have the sights (or dot) line up and the trigger pull smooth. When actually shooting, I use it to reinforce what a good shot looks and feels like and to erase the image after a bad shot. Positive Self Talk. Build up self-confidence and minimize match nerves with positive self talk. I think it was Vince Lombardi who said "It is easy to be confident and disciplined when you are on top. The key is to be confident and disciplined before you are a champion." Always keep it positive. Phrase it as if it is already true "I am a great shooter" "I enjoy competing" "The next shot (or string or match) is my favorite" "I am ready" and "I deserve to be here" (good for Camp Perry). In Slow Fire, I have a tendency to concentrate on the first and last shots, but sometimes slack off on the middle. Saying "every shot is important" or "one good shot" each before each shot helps me. As with everything, it is important to practice. If it is only done on the line, it will take longer and be less effective. Goal Setting and Goal Review. What do you want to accomplish in shooting? What do you want to accomplish this year? What do you want to accomplish tomorrow tonight? This is also mentioned by many top athletes. They have specific goals (usually NOT a score) not just for the match, but for each practice or training session. When you are not shooting you can think about what skills are needed to reach the next level, what you do right and where you lose points (but keep it positive). You can also think back on your goals from last month, season, year etc. (you did write them down didn't you?) and see the progress you made. It is important to see the progress you have made and the goals you have achieved. This helps motivate you to work towards the new goals. I start with a score I want to achieve, but quickly break it down into specific skills I need to reach the score. For example, if the goal is to break 2550, then you need to average 92 SF, 97 TF and 95 RF. What ! do you need to shoot 92 SF? Improved stability in your stance? More strength and endurance to make it through the 2700? Maybe you need to abort the shot when you hold too long to avoid shooting 7's? To shoot 97/95 you need to keep all of you shots inside the 9 ring so you can do some of the training exercises with the 9-ring as your goal. But also look back at the past goal (breaking 2500 for instance). Now that the goal has been achieved, it is easy. Most matches are above 2500. Know that soon 2550 will be just as easy. Contingency Planning. What might go wrong and what can be done to prevent or prepare for it? This is for equipment only. Don't dwell on the negatives of your performance. If you have a plan of action when something goes wrong it will be less disturbing. You can fix whatever it is and go back to shooting. Event Planning. Plan your next match or shooting session. What do you want to accomplish, what do you need to take, what time do you need to wake up and leave, what time do you need to eat etc. Physical Training. This is not really mental, but I'll throw it in anyway. Use a grip strengthener while driving, working, watching TV etc. Brian Zins says he works his trigger finger all the time. He held up his hand in a loose grip and moved his index finger back and forth as if pulling the trigger. When he does it, only the trigger finger moves. When I do it, all of my fingers move. With practice it gets better. Who's got more ideas? Steve Turner
This may seem kind of basic, but I printed out a sticker for my gun box that says it all to me "Every Shot Counts" I read this each time I get ready for a shot in slow fire or a string of TF or RF, if I loose my concentration, repeating this in my head brings me back on focus. David Rodgers sr.

Bullseye list members... Not to toot Cecil's horn (no jokes on that line Cecil), but this guy bears listening to. I'd tell you that he's a multi-time member of the Mayleigh Cup team, that he perpetually makes the NRA-USA Civilian Postal team, that he was top shooter on that Postal team this year, that he was 3rd OVERALL in the President's 100 last year, and many other accomplishments. But...this alone doesn't mean we should listen to him and consider his thoughts. The thing that really tells me this guy is worth listening to (at least when it comes to shooting...heh heh heh) is that he thinks about shooting A LOT! He is very analytical and he strives to use all his mental and physical energy to efficiently improve his already excellent shooting. If he was an up and coming Sharpshooter, his mental acuity would still make his comments a valuable contribution to this list. I believe one of Cecil's biggest messages to us is that, in order to improve, you have to master the mental game. At this point you may be saying "well no sh*t Sherlock". But, if I may, he's saying "Get the physical things down pat and then you're done with them." Find the gun, oil, lube, sights, trigger, load, bullet, reloading press, magazines, and whatever else you need that is right for YOU and then be done with that. Once you have these things, and do not compromise on them, the road to better shooting is all in your head. I have no better equipment than I did when I started. I can't hold the gun any "stiller". I can't physically pull the trigger any smoother. But by thinking about shooting a lot, using my time wisely, and listening to people like Cecil, Ed Hall, Dave Salyer, Brian Zins, and a few others, my scores have gone up significantly. Yours can too, if that's your goal. I for one have an Ed Hall folder, Cecil Rhodes folder, and Dave Salyer folder in my email box. I recommend reading emails from these guys on the shooting topics to all Bullseye shooters. Sorry to share nothing more than an opinion, but hey I only had 2 hours of sleep (TOPS) last night. I expect that even my TYPED words are slurred about this time due to lack of sleep. Now I have to send Cecil a private email apologizing for the publicity. G Palmer

Thanks to Grayson for the post, but the important point is that there is always something more to learn, for everyone. Grayson is also a "thinking" shooter. We've discussed this some and I'll share some of my thoughts with you all as well. We (civilian, working, amateur, whatever) shooters do not have access to unlimited range time, ammo, etc. But so what, we always have available to us is the most importing tool related to shooting (well I assume most of us do). Using all the available mental capacity and time available to us appropriately can reap benefits far beyond weighing bullets and measuring cases. A training plan centered on our goals and available resources can make us competitive with any shooter on the line. It's just that shooting is fun and training is, well, like work. Again, if the training is appropriate and correct, then you don't have to wear yourself out on the line physically or mentally "trying and expecting"; you can just let it happen, perform and have fun. And isn't that the most important thing? In return, in case you all did not know, Grayson Palmer (AKA harryreeves on the list) is one of those shooters that made master in just a couple of years and high master in not much more time. If you want some interesting (and informative) reading, have him send you his opus on reloading and selecting a press and dies. (There, that should pay you back). Lastly Grayson and Lara (the "more" significant other) have been hosts to many, many shooters at matches (just look for the RV with the cats), providing a great location to talk about Bullseye (an anything else you could imagine). As I have said before on the list, they are truly great people that make going to matches fun (as well as challenging). Cecil

Let me tell you what Bonnie Harmon told me at the AMU. "Trust your arc of movement" In other words, the are of movement that you have on a given day cannot be changed! Previous training, diet, age and who knows what affects the arc. Center your arc as always and concentrate on the fundamentals. Do not change your trigger squeeze in an attempt to "shorten" the arc. In my opinion, the sights are never where they appear to be anyway. By the time the bullet leaves the barrel, the line of sight has moved somewhere else on the arc. Center the arc, don't hold it too long waiting for the best spot and let the shot happen. -- LTC (ret.) John C. Heiby [1-05]
Jack H
Jack H

Chase Turner, Thin Man and rsp like this post

Back to top Go down

practicing the mental part of shooting Empty Thanks for that

Post by cobbwebb Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:13 pm

All good stuff!
Thanks for collecting.

cobbwebb

Back to top Go down

practicing the mental part of shooting Empty Re: practicing the mental part of shooting

Post by ronadair Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:52 pm

Hemant V Jadhav | Founder of Foresight Shooting focuses on the mental aspect of shooting.  The Yoga of Air Pistol Shooting.  Yoga combines the mental and physical like shooting.

ronadair

Back to top Go down

practicing the mental part of shooting Empty Re: practicing the mental part of shooting

Post by Chase Turner Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:04 pm

It's gems like this that make study of the old BE list something every shooter should wish to be able to do. That this has been prevented is a travesty. And that some shooters, who benefited from this exchange of ideas, have publicly endorsed this locking up as a reasonable thing is hypocrisy writ large.

I will say this bit to remind others who come after me that there has been a bit of an information schism in this shooting community. Where I'm from, shooters freely exchange information to further themselves and others. It's boorish to keep this sort of information (of whatever quality; re: like the recent bit about the Hickey and Sievers book) from others.

Chase Turner

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:43 am

Chase Turner wrote:I will say this bit to remind others who come after me that there has been a bit of an information schism in this shooting community. Where I'm from, shooters freely exchange information to further themselves and others. It's boorish to keep this sort of information (of whatever quality; re: like the recent bit about the Hickey and Sievers book) from others.
Being newer to the game, I think that a lot of "the information of old" has stopped be shared like it once has because it falls of deaf ears. People tend to listen when they are being told what they want to hear. Very few people in this day in age will actually listen to something that is in any way contrary to their own thoughts.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Jon Eulette and chopper like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:05 pm

The mental game should be a part of the shot process during dry fire training, live fire training and the match. Unfortunately most only try to apply during matches. Matches are few and far between but dry and live practice are majority of the time we spend shooting.
The mental game becomes much easier to apply when practiced regularly. 
Visualization is an important part of the mental game. How often have we heard or seen a lower level classified shooter say they shot nine SF 10's and yanked the last shot? It's because they most likely have never routinely visualized shooting 100's during SF. It's also why we try to replicate our shot process exactly the same for the 10 shots. So why do it for nine shots and forget about it on the last shot? It's why we HM preach focus on one shot at a time.
My battle as a coach is getting shooter to actually apply what's being taught. Several years ago a good friend was getting lots of coaching from me but stuck with the same scores. After each match we'd discuss the performance. And each time he would tell me he was still doing it his way. Finally he shot a huge PB grand aggregate and had a blazing PB 886 CF aggregate. I asked him what he did differently this time? He said he finally listened. I've talked to other HM I know and they share the same observations from people they coach.
You want to do better in this game you have to be willing to break your own mold/ways and have a willingness to try what's being recommended. To really learn BE you have to be willing to do boring drills and methods of training instead of just shooting practice matches and 10 shots on a target for score.
Mental game is every day!
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

jwax, Ed Hall, chopper, lyoke and TonyH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:51 pm

Jon, for me to be focused on each shot and do my best following my process, works. My problem stems from ADD when I was younger, I can get there, but it is very exhausting for my brain. I'm trying my best at matches and I'm tired when I'm done. Probably the best thing for me would be to train (dry fire) longer than 10 minutes at a time.
 I shot an 1800 match yesterday shot SS in the 22 and tanked in the CF, I was tired both mentally and physically when I got home and today.
 There was a meltdown when I shot my 45 in CF. I had sighted-in for 25 yards 3 days before the match and my 1st 5 shots were way left. I thought it was my trigger pull, or moving my wrist while gripping so I finished the next 5, same thing. Then I moved the sights 1 full turn to the right and fired next 3 and had to move it 4 clicks to center it. Anyhow, I was flustered and barely recovered my focus until the TF stages. So I need help.
 Overall though I was pleased with the mid 80s and 90s in the last sustained stages. They were coming down and banging in the black except for some early 6s. 
 My first match since spring and getting over elbow tendonitis, felt great to get back at it.
Thanks for reading, Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Turner Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:13 pm

chiz1180 wrote:Being newer to the game, I think that a lot of "the information of old" has stopped be shared like it once has because it falls of deaf ears. People tend to listen when they are being told what they want to hear. Very few people in this day in age will actually listen to something that is in any way contrary to their own thoughts.

In this particular case, I am discussing access to material that has already been written. Who knows how someone describing something you are interested can impact you? Sometimes, it is just a turn of words that helps to get concepts to click.

I'm not sure that I agree that the information sharing you describe is due to "refusal to listen," so much as we don't seem to rely on authorities on subjects quite like we used to. I would agree that the consumption of thoughts and ideas today has certainly changed, and perhaps that's why you have the view that you do. I don't think there is anything new under the sun: people believe their own narratives, and always have, always will. If anything, what technology has revealed is how poor listeners we've always been- but that's just my view.

Anyway- I wonder how to properly protest the locking up of an archive that would be of use to shooters today. Any ideas on how to get that particular thing reversed? I'd love to read through the missives that started this thread, and I know others would, too.

Chase Turner

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:38 am

I have a lot of old posts.  Butmy file system is marksman level.  THrough the winter I might be able to spend some time sorting it out.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down