Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CURVED MAINSPRING HOUSING OR STRAIGHT?

+3
SteveT
Larry2520
Cmysix
7 posters

Go down

CURVED MAINSPRING HOUSING OR STRAIGHT? Empty CURVED MAINSPRING HOUSING OR STRAIGHT?

Post by Cmysix 9/12/2023, 4:48 pm

CURVED MAINSPRING HOUSING OR STRAIGHT?  Bullseye shooting, which do you prefer?   WHY?
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

CURVED MAINSPRING HOUSING OR STRAIGHT? Empty Re: CURVED MAINSPRING HOUSING OR STRAIGHT?

Post by Larry2520 9/12/2023, 5:41 pm

My preference is straight because I have a fat hand!

Larry2520

Back to top Go down

CURVED MAINSPRING HOUSING OR STRAIGHT? Empty Re: CURVED MAINSPRING HOUSING OR STRAIGHT?

Post by SteveT 9/12/2023, 7:01 pm

Arched. Because my hands are skinny Smile

IMO it depends as much on your wrist as the meatiness of your hand. MSH's are inexpensive and easy to change so get both and try them. Hold the gun up with a comfortable grip and wrist position. Which one has the sights closer to aligned, or dot closest to the center.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

mbmshooter and Richard Ashmore like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by set462 9/14/2023, 6:26 am

Cmysix wrote:CURVED MAINSPRING HOUSING OR STRAIGHT?  Bullseye shooting, which do you prefer?   WHY?

For me it’s a preference thing. I much prefer an arched mainspring housing over flat but I’m fine with a flat. Used a flat mainspring housing for years and thousands of rounds because they came with my 1911s. Only recently, I’ve changed to the arched because my Springfield Milspec allowed me to try it out some more before committing to changing them.
I have noticed small improvements down range after swapping the mainsprings and faster splits before ammo disappeared.

set462

Back to top Go down

Post by oldrifle 9/14/2023, 8:31 am

My personal choice is arched. because of how little my hands are.

oldrifle

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 9/14/2023, 9:32 am

I’ve always preferred flat but can shoot either. I have large hand with long fingers.
I typically recommend flat MSH to shooters with smaller hands. I think it boils down to your grip during recoil. If you hand is smaller the arched housing may slide in your hand during recoil. Serrated may not work as well as checkered with arched.
99% of all the pistols I build are flat MSH.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 9/14/2023, 10:42 am

Jon I think there's one more MSH to include also, it's Wilson's V-grip. It's basically a flat that is thicker at the bottom and taper down at the top. They say it forces the hand up higher on the pistol, maybe better for smaller hands and shorter fingers. Does anyone have experience with this one also?
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down