Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRASS CLEANING

+16
Centerline
samtoast
10sandxs
rburk
Steve in Allentown
BE Mike
messenger
joeangi
james r chapman
chiz1180
Sg1911
8eightring
Wobbley
troystaten
fc60
CarpeXRing
20 posters

Go down

BRASS CLEANING Empty BRASS CLEANING

Post by CarpeXRing 11/18/2023, 12:18 pm

Well the old vibratory cleaner has finally bit the dust.  I can't even imagine how many hours it has over the last 20+ years, but it's gotta be a gazillion.  So while I have been very careful about dust exposure (tumbling in the garage, rolling the separator outside with a breeze or using a fan to direct the dust away from me), I'm thinking this is a good time to switch over to wet.

My question for the folks that wet tumble, do you use steal pins and solution?  Also thinking a food dehydrator would work well for drying.

Appreciate any suggestions on your process, equipment, etc.
CarpeXRing
CarpeXRing

Back to top Go down

BRASS CLEANING Empty Re: BRASS CLEANING

Post by fc60 11/18/2023, 12:40 pm

Greetings,

I use the Lortone QT12 tumbler.

For drying, I have an American Harvester Dehydrator.

Watch CraigsList or your local Second Hand store for bargains.

Pins? I use Stainless Steel. 0.255" long by 0.048" diameter. This diameter tends not to stick in the flash holes.

https://www.amazon.com/STM-Stainless-Tumbling-Media-Reloading/dp/B00KO9DF9K/ref=sr_1_5?crid=HU0N3OE468NK&keywords=stainless+steel+pins+tumbling+media&qid=1700332755&sprefix=stainless+steel+pins%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-5

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

chopper and CarpeXRing like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten 11/18/2023, 1:19 pm

I use a RCBS ultra sonic cleaner with Hornady case cleaner. Once they are clean I rinse them in hot water and let them air dry. Seems to work fine I don't polish the brass.

troystaten

CarpeXRing likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 11/18/2023, 1:32 pm

For pistol (and rifle most of the time) I don’t use pins.  My solution is my own concoction : 1 teaspoon LemiShine, 1 tablespoon of Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax per gallon of water.  I tumble for 2 hours.  I use 2 Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumblers to get more through put.   Drying is the sun or a dehydrator.   The wax in the solution keeps the shine a little bit longer.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

301bruce and CarpeXRing like this post

Back to top Go down

BRASS CLEANING Empty Wet tumble

Post by 8eightring 11/18/2023, 3:06 pm

I have both vibratory and wet tumbler. I don't use pins in the wet tumbler but I do sneak in and get my wife's dishwasher pods to put in with the brass. It seems to work great. Just don't over fill the tumbler with brass. There has to be room for brass movement.
8eightring
8eightring

Back to top Go down

Post by Sg1911 11/18/2023, 5:31 pm

I also have both a vibrator and a RCBS wet tumbler.  I pickup range brass as well as my brass so I use the wet tumbler, without pin, a case full of citric acid and a case full of dawn. Depending on the amount and degree of how dirty , I will wet tumble 1 1/2 to 2 hrs.  I will then air dry and bag the brass.  Usually run the clean brass in the vibrator before reloading for a hour or so, then lube and load

Sg1911

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 11/18/2023, 6:05 pm

I have dry and wet tumbler(3) and an ultrasonic cleaner. The later with hot water and a cleaning solution (hornady or rcbs) is my current preferred method. I tend to clean batches of 3-500 at a time. If I clean batches larger than that I use the wet tumblers with pins and dish soap. If you use pins make sure that no pins remain in the brass when you load.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 11/18/2023, 6:35 pm

I use Frankfort arsenal tumbler, ss pins, dawn soup, lemishine, and Johnson’s wax,
Food dehydrator to dry.

Gave the vibrator to my wife.

Last edited by james r chapman on 11/18/2023, 6:37 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Don’t drink the soup)
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

8eightring, chopper, CarpeXRing, RodJ and DK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by joeangi 11/19/2023, 7:06 am

I used to use vibratory cleaning. Prefer the wet cleaning. My process is to deprime first, hot water, ss pins, lemishine (small amount- or brass turns “green”)and meguires wash and wax. I let this run on the Frankfort aresenal tumbler for about 2 1/2 hrs. Drain and hit with a quick re-tumble for 15 mins with clean water and pins. I just let the brass dry on some towels after rolling it around. The sorting screen/ draining system gets most of the pins separated. Brass is probably too clean, and can use a little shot of “one shot” before loading. Just seems to make the press operate much more smoothly

joeangi

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger 11/19/2023, 7:14 am

joeangi wrote:I used to use vibratory cleaning. Prefer the wet cleaning. My process is to deprime first, hot water, ss pins, lemishine (small amount- or brass turns “green”)and meguires wash and wax. I let this run on the Frankfort aresenal tumbler for about 2 1/2 hrs. Drain and hit with a quick re-tumble for 15 mins with clean water and pins. I just let the brass dry on some towels after rolling it around. The sorting screen/ draining system gets most of the pins separated. Brass is probably too clean, and can use a little shot of “one shot” before loading. Just seems to make the press operate much more smoothly

I clean mine exactly the same way but you will find 1.5 hours is more than enough time in the tumbler.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 11/19/2023, 7:51 am

One of the most talked about and least important part of reloading is polishing brass. Having said that, yes I'm anal enough to want my brass to look pretty. I use a Lortone QT 12 rotary tumbler with ground walnut shells and about a teaspoon full of liquid Flitz. If I just wanted it to be clean, I'd skip the Flitz.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve in Allentown 11/19/2023, 9:27 am

The amount of Lemishine to use depends on the hardness of the water.  Testing batches of brass using different amounts of Lemishine will quickly tell you if you're within the right range.

The stainless steel pins do a good job of cleaning out the primer pockets and removing carbon from inside the cases.  Carbon build up will reduce case capacity and result in external ballistic variations.  As a former benchrest shooter I can tell you that everything matters when it comes to shooting one hole groups.
Steve in Allentown
Steve in Allentown

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 11/19/2023, 2:26 pm

Steve in Allentown wrote:The amount of Lemishine to use depends on the hardness of the water.  Testing batches of brass using different amounts of Lemishine will quickly tell you if you're within the right range.

The stainless steel pins do a good job of cleaning out the primer pockets and removing carbon from inside the cases.  Carbon build up will reduce case capacity and result in external ballistic variations.  As a former benchrest shooter I can tell you that everything matters when it comes to shooting one hole groups.
Of course none of that matters with reloading pistol ammo used for bullseye pistol shooting. It's an entirely different animal.
BE Mike
BE Mike

10sandxs and Steve in Allentown like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rburk 11/19/2023, 11:57 pm

I have been wet tumbling with SS pins, I use the pins to clean the primer pockets.  I am going to try without the pins.  Would definitely save time not having to mess with the pins.

rburk

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs 11/20/2023, 7:15 am

I wet tumble with 4 table spoons of armor all wash and wax (i think) or dawn dish soap. Hot water for both. I don't use steel pins, gave them to rifle shooting brother. I use the tumbler bowel for the collection point of fired brass and when it's full, I process it. For rinsing and drying, I 3d printed some helpers... my process is below...

Rinsing
https://youtu.be/2pUCjzzSMu8?feature=shared 

Drying
https://youtu.be/Qdaqtz-iJLs?feature=shared

In winter the low humidity in my area gets them dry in a day.  in summer, ill put a small fan over them to dry them, but that is it.

Here's a picture after all has been done the timestamp from the video to the picture says it took me about 10 minutes to stand up about 1100 rds of brass
BRASS CLEANING 20231110

10sandxs

samtoast likes this post

Back to top Go down

BRASS CLEANING Empty for sale?

Post by samtoast 11/20/2023, 11:31 am

10sandxs wrote:For rinsing and drying, I 3d printed some helpers...
Thank you for sharing your process. Videos are very helpful.
Are the 3D printed helpers (or the STL files) are for sale?

samtoast

Back to top Go down

Post by Centerline 11/20/2023, 12:02 pm

SS pins 1.5 hrs in a harbor freight tumbler with a little dawn detergent, water, and a pinch of lemi- shine. Air dry on towel in a flat pan. When I didn't plan ahead i use a food dehydrator. I'd like to upgrade my tumbler to a Frankford arsenal type because the harbor freight model is a bit annoying to open/close and will eventually wear out (but hasn't yet over several years!) I use this gizmo I made for processing, sorting, etc. It's pretty slick and saves a lot of time. https://m.youtube.com/@casemanager1276

Centerline

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 11/20/2023, 1:55 pm

I go easy on the Lemishine as I think it causes the brass to tarnish after it's clean and dry. As far as drying to just do it in the oven on 175 for about 20 minutes. My wife is very tolerant.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 11/20/2023, 1:58 pm

Besides keeping all the crap in the garage until the brass is clean, I really like the fact my loading machines now stay a whole lot cleaner as well. Wet takes more time but in my mind it's well worth it.

weber1b

Centerline and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 11/20/2023, 4:00 pm

james r chapman wrote:….

This cannot go unacknowledged as the highest form of selfless “repurposing” I’ve ever witnessed. 

With that out of the way, I switched from dry for health reasons and use wet but hate the pins they get everywhere and hide inside the Framford tumbler stuck to a the walls, inside cases, everywhere. I don’t decap before wet tumbling. 30 min or so is sufficient with a few drops of dawn and a splash of simple green or purple.

RodJ

walt k, james r chapman, Motophotog7 and 14S&W like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DK 11/20/2023, 6:54 pm

I use the Lortone 12# drum in a home built rotary machine and decap prior to tumbling.  Meguiar’s car wash, cold water, and ss chip media (not pins) do the trick after a couple hours.  I haven’t added lemishine so far but may try adding a bit to the mix in the future.  Drying is done in a Lyman Cyclone case dryer and takes about 1-1/2 hours.

DK

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs 11/20/2023, 10:17 pm

samtoast wrote:
10sandxs wrote:For rinsing and drying, I 3d printed some helpers...
Thank you for sharing your process. Videos are very helpful.
Are the 3D printed helpers (or the STL files) are for sale?
Happy to supply stl, step, igs, or native solid works files. It will cost you two boxes of ammo given to a jr program or shooter in your area.

10sandxs

samtoast likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG 11/20/2023, 10:34 pm

RodJ wrote:
james r chapman wrote:….

This cannot go unacknowledged as the highest form of selfless “repurposing” I’ve ever witnessed. 
I was gonna say I've gotten to that age as well.

Wet ... yeah, a mess. But consider the long term effects of breathing the dust ... with or without the lead residue from the primers.

WesG

RodJ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down