Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dismantling.45 acp

+6
STEVE SAMELAK
John Dervis
PhotoEscape
PMcfall
Al
faraim
10 posters

Go down

Dismantling.45 acp Empty Dismantling.45 acp

Post by faraim 1/16/2024, 12:50 pm

I was given a few hundred .45 rounds loaded with H&G 68 bullets. They came with no load info and I don’t know who loaded them. I’d like to use the primed cases but don’t want to spend the next few days hammering away with one of those plastic hammer type bullet pullers. Has anyone used a collet puller on the H&G 68 bullets? If so, did you use a 45 collet?
faraim
faraim

Back to top Go down

Dismantling.45 acp Empty Re: Dismantling.45 acp

Post by Al 1/16/2024, 1:32 pm

Unless the bullets are seated too long to start with, a collet puller just won't get it done.
I'm afraid your going to get more familiar with your inertia puller.
Good for you for not shooting someone else's loads. 
Al

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall 1/16/2024, 1:47 pm

I use my long nose pliers and my single stage press.  Ruins the bullets but WTH.
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 1/16/2024, 4:16 pm

Use RCBS 9.3mm collet for removing H&G #68.  Must tight it quite a bit.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis 1/16/2024, 10:00 pm

I pulled a couple hundred bullets last fall using the inertia type puller and it really wasn’t that bad. A couple of hits per round on my concrete wall and they come right out. If you put some padding in the nose, you’ll be able to reuse the bullets too.

John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 1/17/2024, 5:52 am

A glove on your swinging hand may save some strain on your hand.
You should also think about someone you're annoyed with while you do the whacking.  Dismantling.45 acp 1960973398
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by hengehold 1/17/2024, 6:11 am

Just a word of caution…I have used a plastic inertia hammer for many years to pull apart hundreds of rifle rds. This year while using an inertia hammer a primer detonated in the case. The primer flew out of the case as it was the path of least resistance and hit me in the cheek. Somehow, I was lucky enough that none of the powder ignited. Of course I didn’t have safety glasses on because …why would I? It was about 2” away from damaging my eye.

I won’t be using an impact hammer again for any reason.

hengehold

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 1/17/2024, 8:45 am

hengehold wrote:Just a word of caution…I have used a plastic inertia hammer for many years to pull apart hundreds of rifle rds. This year while using an inertia hammer a primer detonated in the case.  The primer flew out of the case as it was the path of least resistance and hit me in the cheek. Somehow, I was lucky enough that none of the powder ignited. Of course I didn’t have safety glasses on because …why would I? It was about 2” away from damaging my eye.

I'll bet that now you wear safety glasses when doing any reloading operation!
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis 1/17/2024, 12:36 pm

hengehold wrote:Just a word of caution…I have used a plastic inertia hammer for many years to pull apart hundreds of rifle rds. This year while using an inertia hammer a primer detonated in the case.  The primer flew out of the case as it was the path of least resistance and hit me in the cheek. Somehow, I was lucky enough that none of the powder ignited. Of course I didn’t have safety glasses on because …why would I? It was about 2” away from damaging my eye.

Glad you were not injured.  I always wear safety glasses when I reload but I don't remember wearing them during that pulling operation.  I wouldn't have thought of it as high risk but I stand corrected.  I don't pull bullets very often even though I have a collection of misloaded stuff in a bucket waiting to be pulled.  When I have done it, I do prefer to do as many as I possibly can so I don't have to do it for another couple years.
  Not that this has any effect on wearing safety glasses (or any other safety procedures), but my technique that I have found the least strenuous is to stand against my basement wall and swing the hammer down/back.  I let the hammer (inertia) do the work and not my muscles from the swing.  The concrete wall provides a solid stop that is not cushioned like wood could be.  One or two strikes and the bullet usually comes out. Years ago I broke my first hammer and I reasoned it was because I was striking too hard.

John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 1/17/2024, 2:13 pm

Crazy
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 1/18/2024, 2:57 pm

Yikes! Can you share more about the components, age, or other aspects of what was going on?  That is the first I’ve heard of that occurring.  Love my safety glasses

Edit: did you contact the primer manufacturer and inertia hammer manufacturer? Response?

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum