Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Experience with S&W 422

5 posters

Go down

Experience with S&W 422 Empty Experience with S&W 422

Post by Jacobrm50 1/23/2024, 9:59 pm

Does anyone shoot rimfire with a Smith and Wesson 422? I just inherited one that was bought in the early 90s and never fired and I want to see if anyone uses one or has been able to get one match accurate. I know I need to have the trigger pull lightened but besides that i’m looking for any other advice or experience with this gun.
Jacobrm50
Jacobrm50

Back to top Go down

Experience with S&W 422 Empty Re: Experience with S&W 422

Post by AlEg 1/23/2024, 11:52 pm

I use one as an intermediate gun waiting for my Marvel.

For single handed precision shooting I’m struggling with the (lack of) weight.
Both frame and slide are aluminum and the gun is very light.
I used to shoot a Smith & Wesson Model 41 which I was much more consistent with. 

I prefer a heavier weight gun which I can support and give counter pressure to and makes me have more stability in the arm.

With the 422 there is no weight and the arm has to do it all by itself, which I find a lot harder to do.

For the rest, a super little gun. Has a nice trigger weight which breaks cleanly. Very reliable and accurate in itself. Will take pretty well any ammo without issue. I only had FTLs with RWS ammo and this was repeatable on multiple occasions. No issues with CCI, Eley or SK.

AlEg

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger 1/24/2024, 4:57 am

I had a 622. All steel. Wish I never sold it. Parts are hard to come by. Do not dry fire it without a plug. They are very susceptible to broken firing pins. 

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by rrampe 1/24/2024, 1:30 pm

My first bullseye gun was a 422 with a red dot on it. It has a great trigger and is surprisingly accurate and reliable. A bonus is it uses the same mags as my model 41. Later my daughter shot it when she started shooting bullseye with me and did very well with it. I still have it and it shoots great.

rrampe

Back to top Go down

Post by BerryhillAC 1/25/2024, 8:19 am

I too had a 422 as my very first bullseye gun.  It was reliable with whatever I fed it and the trigger was decent.  However in the end I found it was just too lightweight for my needs.  I graduated to a High Standard Supermatic and saw my score move up very quickly.  The 422 is a fun plinker for a lot of reasons, but I wouldn't recommend one as a bullseye gun.  There are just too many other better options out there.

Andrew

[url=PrecisionTargetPistolGrips.com]Precision Target Pistol Grips[/url]

BerryhillAC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum