Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SW 52 Magazines

5 posters

Go down

SW 52 Magazines Empty SW 52 Magazines

Post by L. Boscoe 1/30/2024, 2:18 pm

I have 5 mags for this pistol, two behave pretty well in loading and presenting a live round to the chamber, etc.
The other three are obstinate in loading rounds, in that they are really tight and require some force to push them
in.  Is there a standard width opening for these mags? I don't want to mess them up, as hard as they are to get.
Wolff is sending springs for them, so that is covered-I notice my hand loads are more difficult than out of the box
new WC to load, if that means anything.  How about lube?
Wisdom greatly appreciated

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

SW 52 Magazines Empty Re: SW 52 Magazines

Post by DA/SA 1/30/2024, 3:51 pm

Please post  an image of one of your hand loads.

It sounds like they may be too long. It doesn't take much excess length to make them difficult to stuff into the magazine.

Or just measure the overall length of a hand load and compare it to a factory round.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by tomd999 1/30/2024, 5:37 pm

Hiya,

As long as you’re seating the bullets close to flush they should be fine. I’m running button nose which do stick out past the case however, the button fits with the radius of the front of the mag. 

I noticed that a couple of my mags developed a “drag” when loading them. (I’ve had some since the early 80’s) What I found was the hollow follower pin was dragging in the slot as the mag body had developed a burr on the inside surface, binding on the step of the pin. A disassemble and deburr with a stone fixed them.

I also have one mag that must have been stepped on at one point as when I bought it, it was visibly pushed in on the rear of the slot on one side that would bind on the pin shoulder when loading. I disassembled it and with just the follower and pin in, I moved it through its travel to find the tight spot, I used a piece of maple to wedge the body out to fix.

tomd999

Back to top Go down

Post by L. Boscoe 1/30/2024, 8:52 pm

this happens with factory WC as well, the loads are essentially flush with the brass, maybe .010 lead showing at most.  The problem is not the bullets being too long, they are dragging inside the mag. I think
Tom999 has the fix.

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

SW 52 Magazines Empty S&W 52 Magazine issues

Post by Amanda4461 1/30/2024, 8:58 pm

I just picked up a 52-1, since I have a 52-2 and I wanted to see if the two would be comparable. The 52-2 has 5 magazines, 3 with metal follower. The 52-1 arrived yesterday, with three mags, 2 with metal followers.
After spending several hours stripping the gun and magazines for a thorough clean and lube, it was range time. I replaced all magazine springs with Wolff springs.
Atlanta Arms 148gr Wadcutters fed and functioned fine out of two mags. One mag would accept one round, then I could force two more rounds in, but the rounds never dropped down. My handloads using virgin Starline brass and Hornady lead wadcutters loaded flush worked perfectly in the two good magazines. They also hung up just like the Atlanta Arms loads in the same faulty mag.
During my range time, I found out that the recoil spring has a defined correct manner in which it must be installed. I copied the position of the coils from an original 52 magazine, and it had my 2 good mags operating flawlessly. The third mag appears to have a clearance problem inside the magazine box internal dimensions, preventing the rounds from dropping with the follower, which drops when depressed, leaving rounds stuck towards the top of the magazine.
Atlanta Arms ammo was loaded on the weak side. I had intermittent failure to feed and failures to eject.
My 2.7gr Bullseye load with either the Hornady swaged lead WC, or the SNS 148gr hardcast BBWC functioned perfectly. The first three SNS hard cast loads cloverleafed inside the X-ring, but the next two were flyers. I was shooting with the sun in my eyes, so I’ll try these again tomorrow before the sun drops down at the range.
I suspect that I will need to expand the inside of the contrary magazine a few thousandth of an inch to get function back to normal. Probably use a piece of hardwood planed down to get the walls expanded. 
Sure would be nice to come across some NOS mags Rolling Eyes
The pistols are quite capable, the sights are fine and the triggers are a dream. The only downside is lack of spare parts. Buying donors for parts is quite expensive.

Last edited by Amanda4461 on 1/30/2024, 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Amanda4461
Amanda4461

L. Boscoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten 2/1/2024, 1:16 am

I have six for my 52-1 I had the same issues. t=Two I bought as NOS still in their shrink wrapped packaging some work better than others.  I measured the lips at the front of the ones that worked and compared them to the ones that had issues and the ones that I had trouble with were just a touch tight so I carefully bent the lips to match the ones that worked and that fixed all but one.  Still working on the one that is giving me some grief.  It helps to number the mags so you can keep track of the offending magazines.

troystaten

L. Boscoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down