Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trigger weight adjustment

3 posters

Go down

Trigger weight adjustment  Empty Trigger weight adjustment

Post by hengehold 2/1/2024, 3:30 am

The below link is a good tutorial about adjusting the sear spring on a 1911 and I used this to get myself started in adjusting my trigger. 

If I have a trigger that is set with a safe amount of sear pressure (the left finger on the sear spring) and I want to make the overall pull weight of the trigger heavier, do I add all the remaining weight to the trigger pull with the middle finger of the sear spring? 

Seems to me that the middle finger of the spring will add weight to the trigger bow without increasing the pressure to the sear engagement. 

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/fitting-a-1911-sear-spring.1054743/

-Trevor

Last edited by hengehold on 2/1/2024, 6:25 am; edited 1 time in total

hengehold

Back to top Go down

Trigger weight adjustment  Empty Re: Trigger weight adjustment

Post by Froneck 2/1/2024, 5:51 am

I don't see the "below link". Left leaf applies pressure to the sear, center leaf the disconnector (it applies pressure to the trigger bow) and right leaf is for the grip safety. First it is best for target shooting to bend the right leaf so that when the main spring housing is installed the leaf touches the frame then applies pressure to the grip safety when it's inserted. Doing that eliminates any trigger pressure change that is altered by amount of pressure on the grip safety.
 Keep in mind the amount needed applied to the trigger to release the sear from the hammer hooks is a combination of main spring pressure on the hammer, angle of sear to hammer hook engagement, surface finish of sear and hammer hooks, left leaf pressure and center leaf pressure. If the trigger and bow rub it too will increase the needed pressure so all should be done so that there is little pressure required to move the trigger and bow because that pressure will be added to the pressure needed on the trigger. Adjustment to the left and center leaf are done to shooters preference of trigger pressure but enough pressure is required on the sear (left leaf) so that it will safely prevent the hammer from falling. Center leaf pressure must be enough to allow reset after slide closes.
 If all the requirement are met and increase in trigger pressure is desired bending the left leaf will increase the pressure required after take-up. Bending the center leaf will increase take-up pressure, release weight is then a total of the two plus the addition of amount mentioned above.

Froneck

hengehold likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by hengehold 2/1/2024, 6:33 am

Froneck wrote:I don't see the "below link". Left leaf applies pressure to the sear, center leaf the disconnector (it applies pressure to the trigger bow) and right leaf is for the grip safety. First it is best for target shooting to bend the right leaf so that when the main spring housing is installed the leaf touches the frame then applies pressure to the grip safety when it's inserted. Doing that eliminates any trigger pressure change that is altered by amount of pressure on the grip safety.
 Keep in mind the amount needed applied to the trigger to release the sear from the hammer hooks is a combination of main spring pressure on the hammer, angle of sear to hammer hook engagement, surface finish of sear and hammer hooks, left leaf pressure and center leaf pressure. If the trigger and bow rub it too will increase the needed pressure so all should be done so that there is little pressure required to move the trigger and bow because that pressure will be added to the pressure needed on the trigger. Adjustment to the left and center leaf are done to shooters preference of trigger pressure but enough pressure is required on the sear (left leaf) so that it will safely prevent the hammer from falling. Center leaf pressure must be enough to allow reset after slide closes.
 If all the requirement are met and increase in trigger pressure is desired bending the left leaf will increase the pressure required after take-up. Bending the center leaf will increase take-up pressure, release weight is then a total of the two plus the addition of amount mentioned above.

Sorry, I just added the link. 

Thanks for the write up. I am tracking everything you said and it is helpful for moving forward.

hengehold

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve in Allentown 2/1/2024, 8:56 am

Here's a hyper link to make getting to that thread easier and quicker: https://www.1911forum.com/threads/fitting-a-1911-sear-spring.1054743/
Steve in Allentown
Steve in Allentown

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 2/1/2024, 12:47 pm

I might add that Trigger pull is very important to good Bullseye shooting. Pull length, smooth movement and consistent release pressure is necessary. To have the trigger preform as desired takes a bit of knowledge and skill to get the results intended.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down