Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To squeeze or not to squeeze

+2
mspingeld
L. Boscoe
6 posters

Go down

To squeeze or not to squeeze Empty To squeeze or not to squeeze

Post by L. Boscoe 2/15/2024, 7:58 am

working out with my45 yesterday, I was shooting better when I sorta hurried my trigger
pull than when I concentrated on slow and steady. Slow and steady produced a hell of a
lot of wobble for one thing. I was shooting 9s and 10s pretty consistently, and that was
kind of a hurried sort of pull, but straight back and no jerking, except when the evil 6 
ring made its appearance occasionally
Any problem here?

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

To squeeze or not to squeeze Empty Re: To squeeze or not to squeeze

Post by mspingeld 2/15/2024, 8:02 am

I believe the theory here is not "hurry" per se but, (a) start squeezing early and, (b) keep the trigger moving.

mspingeld
Admin

dieselguy624 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 2/15/2024, 12:12 pm

You’ve heard the term “Keep the trigger moving”.  The major problem with “Slow and steady” is that it is truly neither.  When you “hurried” your trigger pull you actually did manipulate the trigger correctly.  So, once you start the trigger don’t stop, accept your hold and continue the process.

Your pistol, or any pistol really, has a specific amount of movement to release the hammer.  Even if it is “crisp” there is at least some movement.  You need to know your trigger.  And that is the best reason to dry fire.  But you don’t need to necessarily be also aiming at anything.  You can lear the trigger in your pistol by dry firing while just holding the pistol in your lap while watching the inanity on television.  Just make sure that it is unloaded AND pointed into YOUR easy chair and away from any living thing.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JHHolliday 2/15/2024, 1:05 pm

I find the same - better results when the shot lets off early in the settle.  If it doesn't (and I don't abort), the longer I hold the worse the wobble - along with increasing temptation to force the shot off (and usually jerk the trigger).
JHHolliday
JHHolliday

Back to top Go down

Post by L. Boscoe 2/15/2024, 1:27 pm

Ashley, you have said exactly what I was doing, i.e. no "chicken finger"
I need to settle down to one pistol. Hopefully that is my other 45, which has an easier trigger than the Lb I was shooting yesterday

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 2/16/2024, 8:00 am

Pull the trigger as fast as you can without disturbing the sights.

I've found that I need to have my mental focus on something other than the trigger. My focus is on the sight alignment or dot / target as much as I can make it. When settled my conscious minds just says "ok pull the trigger" without thinking about exactly how to pull the trigger.

Another trick I sometimes use is to imagine a mechanical linkage pushing back on the trigger, pivoting around the hammer and pushing the bullet forward through target. It's a bit weird but it I think it worked because if I want to push a punch through something, I don't start and stop, I just align it with the spot I want and push it all the way through in one firm action.

When all else fails I fall back on pulling the trigger as I settle into the black, so I start applying pressure about the time I cross the 5 or 6 ring, increase steadily so I am at about 80% trigger pressure as I cross into the black and the gun goes off very soon after. It doesn't score as well as the other processes, but it eliminates most of the wild shots out in the white.

For me, the fun part of bullseye is figuring out these ways to trick the mind into letting good shots happen.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Gustavo1957 and JHHolliday like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 2/16/2024, 9:07 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Fbh-_B9Ek
BE Mike
BE Mike

L. Boscoe, targetbarb and MkFiji like this post

Back to top Go down