Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High Standard Help

+3
NukeMMC
RodJ
CJH2023
7 posters

Go down

High Standard Help Empty High Standard Help

Post by CJH2023 3/22/2024, 4:41 am

Looking for some expertise on what to look for. Went to range last night after competing this past Sunday in a 900 with no issues and didn't have time to clean gun prior to shooting last night. Got through the  slow fire round and timed fire round no issue and on the first string or rapid the second round went click louder than normal like the chamber was empty. But when I pulled the slide back a round was loaded but had not a sign of any firing pin impact. Next magazine fired three then same. Tried other magazines with similar results. The empty brass that has been fired shows solid good firing pin hits. Not sure how it can be doing this and was hoping someone has experienced this before. This first time HS is giving me a few challenges.

Thank you in advance for any help.

CJH2023

Back to top Go down

High Standard Help Empty Re: High Standard Help

Post by RodJ 3/22/2024, 8:19 am

I’m going to venture a guess that your slide is not fully closing on the rounds where you get the loud click. 

When I want to dry fire my Victor, after cleaning or storage, I hold the slide back about 1/64 or so as I pull the trigger.  The sound of the slide smacking closed adds to the sound of the hammer.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC 3/22/2024, 8:54 am

+1^
Depending on what ammo you use (CCI SV and Aguila SE SV are notorious) the crud/wax buildup between boltface and breechface may impede slide travel just enough to release the disconnector but not have the slide fully in battery.  

Brush the faces with a toothbrush and ensure the recessed area in the boltface is clear of crud in the corners.

Also may have buildup in the firing pin hole preventing full travel of the FP (it is an inertia FP)

Clean it with a q-tip
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Multiracer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NYKenn 3/22/2024, 9:02 am

Check to see if the firing pin is broken.

NYKenn

http://www.TheFiringLineOnline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Termite 3/22/2024, 10:06 am

I have a High Standard 106 Olympic. Pretty sure your issue is crud build up between the slide and barrel. I have had that happen to mine and needs to be kept clean. Just the slightest gap will cause that to happen

Termite

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer 3/22/2024, 12:09 pm

No time like the present to figure out dis assembly and cleaning maintenance. That's what it needs to function when called for in rapid fire.

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis 3/22/2024, 1:11 pm

Since you had not cleaned the gun, I would start with that.  Crud in the chamber or the breech face could cause the slide to not go fully forward as several others have mentioned.  A broken or chipped firing pin could also pose a problem but it is a less likely from your description.  One more thing to look for - (and this might not apply to you but may help someone else).  The grip panels are held on with as single screw and there are alignment pins in the frame that match up with a hole on the grip panel.  On my Victor, those alignment holes began to open up.  What this does is allows the grip panel to pivot up at the front slightly.  This caused the grip panel to drag on the slide enough so that my slide would not fully return to battery.  This drove me crazy for a while until I figured it out.  My solution was to drill that hole out bigger, fill it with wood putty (or maybe it was wood filler) and then re-drill the small hole for the pin.  Since I did that repair, it has worked perfectly.  I suspect my problem is a rare one but it is something you can easily check.  If the grip panel pivots up, that hole is probably enlarged.

Good Luck.
John

John Dervis

Gustavo1957 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CJH2023 3/23/2024, 6:20 am

Thank you to all with the information given. This is the first time I didn't disassemble the gun and clean after a match so I am leaning on the side that it is some build up. I just couldn't imagine a total of 120 rounds fired since last cleaning would cause this. But this is the first HS Victor I have owned and as I learn how much I love the gun they do have their own little nuances about them. And finding quality magazines in stock is almost impossible it seems. Thanks again and looks like it's time for another cleaning and inspection.

CJH2023

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis 3/23/2024, 6:47 pm

Your round count isn’t that high under normal circumstances but there might have been some crud missed from the last cleaning or it could be the ammo you are using. Some have more wax build up than others so that is worth examining as well.  A simple bore brush made from a 25 cal bronze brush bent 90 degrees might help between cleanings. 
As for magazines, Alan at interarms makes good ones and he usually has them. That’s where I bought my last set. You will still need to adjust them but once adjusted, they should be good til you drop it.  

Good luck.
John

John Dervis

Multiracer and RodJ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 3/25/2024, 5:22 pm

Ive had very good luck with Interarms magazines. Find or make a lip adjustment tool in case the lips need some adjustment. I followed J Bartas instructions on both lips and adding a shim to a magazine's forward "edge" in order to hold it snug at the perfect angle. Once done, you are Golf Tango Golf for as long as John Dervis ^^^ said.

PS, Ive not had the build up that you may be experiencing. Another thought worth checking is the slight possibility that you have a small frame crack on the starboard side of the frame at the rails. I've only seen photos, never experienced it. If such a crack occurred, it might slow the slide a hair,. Good luck and enjoy your Victor. Love mine.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down