Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need a Second 38 Super

5 posters

Go down

Need a Second 38 Super  Empty Need a Second 38 Super

Post by Axehandle 11/3/2014, 6:19 am

Thinking I'm going to talk to KC about building me a 38 Super for Bullseye.  I've got one Dan Norwood built me but you can never have too many!  Looked at what Baer offers and see that what he makes will cost as much as one of KC's full up builds.  Thinking that the big question will be the starting point.  Maybe a Baer slide and frame.  Of course if KC builds the gun we will use the slide and frame he recommends.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Need a Second 38 Super  Empty Re: Need a Second 38 Super

Post by kc.crawford.7 11/3/2014, 9:54 am

Axe, all you have to do is say the word.  I have my slides and receivers available.  Or I have a 38 Super I build many years ago (with a frame mount) that could stand a new home.  All she does is sit in the safe.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 11/3/2014, 1:58 pm

Yeow!  Is that customer service or what?  Guess I'll be calling KC to talk about this soon!  Smile

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 11/3/2014, 3:17 pm

My friend's at ACCU-LOCK build a sub 1'' 38 super, pm me if interested.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 11/4/2014, 7:04 am

Pulled up that Accu-Comp on Travis Strahan's web site.  That is an interesting looking gun.   If I had deeper pockets I'd buy one just to play with!   We old retired guys have to watch our gun fund pretty close.   I'll need those extra bucks to buy more 38 Super brass for the 2015 shooting season!

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 11/4/2014, 7:30 am

It is a very sweet system.  And I know it's worth every penny Travis is asking, but like you said Axe that is a pretty penny for his Accu-Lock guns.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 11/4/2014, 8:33 am

kc.crawford.7 wrote:It is a very sweet system.  And I know it's worth every penny Travis is asking, but like you said Axe that is a pretty penny for his Accu-Lock guns.

Unless something has changed since I last checked..he is making the barrel from Shilen blanks..One reason the cost is high..

Last edited by Jerry Keefer on 11/4/2014, 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 11/4/2014, 8:59 am

I'd like to hold one long enough to take it apart.    I still remember that new Clark gun I had built in the early 80s when he transitioned from fitting the slide and frame to some set screws in the front of the dustcover that locked the front of the slide up when the gun was in battery.  Looked like a short cut to me.  I was not pleased but the gun did shoot decent.  FWIW this Accu-lock DOES NOT look like any sort of short cut.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 11/4/2014, 9:25 am

I think you're right Jerry.  And of course the amount of time to make the cuts on the slide and the barrel weight I can only imagine.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 11/4/2014, 9:33 am

Axehandle wrote:I'd like to hold one long enough to take it apart.    I still remember that new Clark gun I had built in the early 80s when he transitioned from fitting the slide and frame to some set screws in the front of the dustcover that locked the front of the slide up when the gun was in battery.  Looked like a short cut to me.  I was not pleased but the gun did shoot decent.  FWIW this Accu-lock DOES NOT look like any sort of short cut.

John Norris who now handles sales and delivery for Travis keeps them with him at every match and sets up a display each year at camp perry, we both shot with you at Birmingham this season and we will be there next season so you can shoot one if you want, this  invitation is open to anyone. Or ask me and you can shoot mine but its a 45. As to barrels , yes Travis still uses Shilen but has expanded to custom made Karts, Colt national match and I think KKM in the 9mm and 38 supers, all are still tested by ransom rest and out of hand tested by Herschel Anderson.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 11/4/2014, 10:08 am

Sounds like 2015 is going to be a fine shooting year!  Looking forward to seeing the gun!

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 11/4/2014, 7:06 pm

K.C.

I would also like to play with a 38 super this year. When you say you have slides and receivers available does that mean it would be possible to just get an upper from you ready to swap out with the one I have? I would like to be able to put it on my Kimber Gold Match ll.  The Kimber is a 40 so it has a W/N cut. Just curious. I think it would be nice to switch it over.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 11/5/2014, 4:18 am

Len, I'm sorry to say that would not work.  My slides would not work the Kimbers firing pin block.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 11/5/2014, 9:19 am

KC.  Darn I had my fingers crossed.I also have a Kimber Target Match that is a series 70. Would that work? How about a R.O. lower in 9mm or 45? Both Kimbers had trigger jobs but both ROs are basically stock.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 11/5/2014, 9:25 am

Len, it's a possiblity but I'm going to have to see the receivers.  If you have a RO in 9mm, that would work to be converted over to 38 Super all the way.  Just use the RO as the base gun and rebuild it.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 11/5/2014, 10:18 am

Thanks KC,
  I asked these questions in the public forum because I was pretty sure that there were other shooters with the same questions. I knew I could just rebuild the 9mm into a 38 super. But, darn they are ugly. I know pretty guns don't shoot better but they look like they should. Very Happy I am bidding on a SA enhanced 9mm on GB right now and if I win I would convert that pistol. I will give you a PM and pictures of the KTM if I decide to go that route. Thanks for your replies.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 11/7/2014, 4:57 pm

KC,  I'm definitely interested in the 38 Super in the safe.  Tell us more about it.  What slide and frame?  Barrel?  Long trigger?  How did it shoot?  What Load?

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 11/7/2014, 5:02 pm

I'm running a Zero 115 JHP at about 1000 FPS with 231 out of a Kart barreled Colt with a 9 pound recoil spring.  Just now got happy with functioning.  Planning to shoot it at 50 yards soon.  I have high expectations.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 11/8/2014, 10:13 am

Axe, it's a Caspian slide and receiver.  5 inch slide and 6 inch Bar-Sto barrel.  I never finished the checkering on the front strap and it has a flat main spring housing checkered at 20 LPI.  Short trigger, MGW hammer and a nice roll release for the break.

Gun 1.25 x 1.25 at 50 yards with Meister 150SSWC behind 3.1 of WW452AA.  So that is going to have to be adjusted, but on the chrono it ran 710 +-10 fps. 

Great gun, but since I'm not shooting any more would be much better to have in the hands of someone who is going to use her.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 11/8/2014, 5:45 pm

Sounds a lot like one of my all time favorite wadcutter guns.  The old NG MTU gunsmith Joe Chambers (the original) built it for me with a 6 inch Kart barrel.  He said that the barrels shot so good he just hated to cut them to 5.   That gun would get it.  I didn't have a clue about how to run a Ransom Rest but it shot an X ring size groups for me with the first 10 shots I ever shot out of a Ransom Rest.   Joe was NG when I met him but I believe he was originally an active duty Marine Corps armorer.  The man could build a gun that would shoot!  I'll get you on the phone to talk about this 38 Super soon.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down