Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New gun is kickin my but

5 posters

Go down

New gun is kickin my but Empty New gun is kickin my but

Post by Paper-Puncher Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Ive got a hole new repect for you .45 shooters .......The .45 is kickin my but....best Ive got @ 25yd on a slow fire target is a 70......I really think the trigger is given me most of the trouble .......at 5lbs (guess) its twice what I'm used too and its got a small ruf spot in it......Ive put a reduced wolf main spring in and toyed with the sear spring a little which has helped .......45 is a whole different animal than what I'm accutomed to ..........but it has helped teach me trigger control...my .22 slow fire scores are appraoching 90 and timed and rapid are now in the middle 90's.........I need to get the trigger on this 45 done than start workin toward a fiited barrel and bushing.........the endless torment............

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

New gun is kickin my but Empty Re: New gun is kickin my but

Post by Rob Kovach Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:29 pm

Were you able to check the accuracy in a ransom rest, or just bench resting it?

What do other .45 shooters think of the trigger on that gun?

As a .22 shooter you might not know that a 1911 can be dryfired without damage. Dry firing is great practice for trigger control and you can't possibly do too much of it. Before you know it, you will be dialing in more resistance on your air pistol and your .22's, just to give them more feel.New gun is kickin my but 371969370
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:47 am

Rob havent been able to ransom it........But I have been able to off hand hold 1.5 -2.0 at 50ft only to throw one shot why out low & left......and @ 25 yds 7 out of ten shoots stayed in the black. I know its not a tuned gun....but it will be .....but for now I'm gonna clean up the trigger just to smooth things up abit....its got a ruff spot in the pull with some creep ....I'm pickin up the gigs from a buddy house to day ...hammer notch is like .025...should be like .018 sear doesnt have the 45 degree bev's on it.......with the trigger down to where it needs to be I should be able to tighten up my 25yd slow fire targets some......Ive also checked the barrel fit ..the link appears to be the proper lenth but theres been to much metal removed from the barrel lug ....typical production gun ....My only concern right now is to be able to enjoy the gun and shoot some respect able targets at 25yds...then as cash flow allows I will replace all trigger parts withhigher quality stuff....and go to a FITTED kart barrel and bushing....right now slow fire is a struggle at best the trigger is heavy and not smooth at all ....I was able to lift 6lbs of weight from the floor very slowly and the hammer didnt fall....I hope to reduce that to about 3ish and then work on fundimetals ...as right now a timed or rapid fire target isnt even possible.....

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Lang Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:22 am

"only to throw one shot why out low & left" is symptomatic of jerking for a right-handed shooter. Work on dry fire, like Rob suggested, to improve trigger control.

Careful with the stones. I've heard that Kimber uses a lot of MIM parts. You may break through the hardening if you remove too much metal.
Larry (WA)
Larry Lang
Larry Lang

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:39 am

yes larry you are correct.....I'm just taking off burrs not really gonna remove much...like I said its got a ruff spot in it ...once that goes it should be fine......

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:23 am

Was able to get trigger do to 4ish . much cleaner and the break is sooner ..hammer notch was @ .022 now its @ .018 . Also remove some burrs from the trigger itself where it was rubbing the channel in the frame.....feels lighter than 4 but the weights dont lie ,total reduction 2+ lbs.......If I can hold 8 ring @ 25yds slow fire target ..I'll be happy....till I can get a proper fitting barrel and higher quality trigger componets.....to much materail was removed from the barrel lugs so no contact from what I can see......range again tommorow...........

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:51 am

4lbs isn't too bad. Most guys have a 3.5lb trigger. As long as it's smooth and consistant, that is what counts.

Another factor is your ammo. I've been shooting 3.8gr Bullseye powder under 185gr or 200gr SWC lead bullets. At that load, it will not beat you up as much, and help keep you from anticipating recoil.

Let us know how your scores are progressing.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:48 pm

shot the gun rested ......2 1/8 @ 50 ft.....3.2 gr Clays 200 gr semi wad.....starting to think Ive got a tack driver combat gun.....Damn it

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:08 am

Where did you buy it? If it was a chain store, (Cabella's, Gander Mtn, or Bass Pro Shops) you might have a good chance to exchange that gun for another.

We've seen good things from the Springfield RO. For under $900 we've seen bullseye ready performance right out of the box --minus a scope rail and your favorite red dot.

Show the store you got it from that the barrel doesn't lock up and say it's "defective". Tell him you'll take store credit on a Springfield Range Officer instead. I wouldn't mention that you worked on the trigger. Keep that to yourself. Might make the store nervous. See what happens.

With that lockup problem, there just isn't much you can do to get a tight group. It can be fixed, but since you just bought that thing, I'm sure all of the work to fix it wasn't the first thing you wanted to do with it.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:06 pm

I wouldn't think that any store would give you much money for your now used gun in exchange for another new one. They certainly can't give you more than they buy one wholesale for. You might be farther ahead by giving it to a good smith for a new barrel and bushing or if you are mechanically inclined you might buy a Kart EZ fit barrel and bushing and install it yourself.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:04 pm

Well I called kimber and spoke with a technical rep. He assured me that 2 3/4 in groups at 50 ft was not to there standard .....I explained That I bought the gun for Target work ....being that Kimber considers it a target gun it should shoot like one ...thankfully he agree and is sending me a shipping label to return the gun to them......i explained that I would be useing the gun for bullesye and at this point it just wasnt gonna work........fingers crossed kimber fixes it.....

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:11 pm

Sounds like they are trying to do right and stand by their product. Good move on your part.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:43 am

Ya mike I hope they do something for me on it. I'm pretty sick about it at this point. Last resort I'll do a kart barrel and bushing......as long as the directions explain it well I shouldnt have to much truoble....Ive been a fabricator for 20yrs so Ive got the skill set to tackle that my self....I would think....Ive built up both of my mark III's with no trouble ,granted fitting a barrel will be harder but I'm resonably sure if I take my time I can handle it........I had so my plans for that gun....damnit....next time I'm stickin with a springfield.....and go from there.......

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by rbriggs Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Barrels are expensive- if you file off too much it's hard to put it back. Don't ask me how I know this.
rbriggs
rbriggs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum