Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lug cutters/methods

4 posters

Go down

Lug cutters/methods Empty Lug cutters/methods

Post by Jerry Keefer Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:13 pm

In the interest of provoking some discussion, since the forum seems dead today, this subject came up on another forum..
The old rasp style lug cutters leave something to be desired.. Pictured top to bottom, are the Brownells rasp style, Custom grinds by Chambers & Marvel, and the old style used back in the day.. Each provides a different finish, with the old style providing the best.. or a mill or surface grinder being very nice with much better control.

Lug cutters/methods IMG_2781_zps8fiqi5pv
A  few of us grind cutters from 3/16th high helix and cut the lugs in a milling machine..

Lug cutters/methods DSC03332barrelinplace
Lug cutters/methods DSC03334sideviewLug cutters/methods DSC03335openveiw
Lug cutters/methods DSC03736_zpsadeb4d1a
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Lug cutters/methods Empty Re: Lug cutters/methods

Post by Wobbley Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:12 pm

I would think the best finish would be from a spiral fluted cutter followed by lapping to final size.  But the last step might be building the lily.  I suppose the next question is where Spode you want this to wear?  The pin to the lugs.  I would think the lugs, so perhaps an ultra finish on the lugs is a waste of time?
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:25 pm

The rasp style are the worst.( they break pretty easy too). good thing mine is in 185 so I have room to clean it up with the 195 cutter I have from Chambers. final cut with a 5mm end mill for a better finish. then hand fit.

The latest Brownell cutter I've seen are similar to the bottom cutters so hopefully they have dropped the rasp style... no idea how sharp they are.
I can only wish for a surface grinder... retired now so I doubt I'll ever get one..

jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:34 pm

Wobbley wrote: ultra finish on the lugs is a waste of time?
Not at all..I want the best finish/full contact possible..max effort on the lugs is never a waste of time.. Both lower and upper are super important. The surface grinder produces an excellent finish, plus maximum control which minimizes hand fitting.
Lug cutters/methods DSC03736_zpsadeb4d1a
Lug cutters/methods DSC02109
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:49 am

So with of the manual cutter is the best for us guys without the big fancy tools Laughing
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:27 pm

the manual cutters will get you close. Brownells set is .186 and .196 I believe.. that will typically get you within .004 or .003 depending upon you slide stop arm size and how well it fits in the frame holes.

given that most arms are .199 and you can get .200, you can see you still have some room to mill off the lower lugs.

.198 is available from Chambers and that will really get you close as long as you verify exactly where you are after the .195 cut.. I use pin gauges to know exactly what I need left to cut.. I then use my mill to cut the remainder or at least get closer.. then use a manual scraper to finish the cut.. used a bunch of stuff in my learning years to finish the lower lugs(some I'd never mention) but the scrapers allow you to go very slowly and work each leg. Les Baer used to cut the final .001 or so from the slide stop arm.. cheaper part to replace I guess.

all of the above is from a rank amateur doing his own 1911s and his family's for over 30 years... education is very slow and still ongoing at that rate...

jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down