Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

M41 advice

+6
Jack H
Chris Miceli
C.Perkins
Russ OR
cdrt
kjanracing
10 posters

Go down

M41 advice Empty M41 advice

Post by kjanracing Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:35 am

So, I'm thinking of getting a model 41 for BE to replace my Nelson conversion. There are a couple on GB I'm watching. One is a Performance Center model, the other a used 41 with an Aim Point. Anything to watch out for or look for?  Are the PEs worth the $$?  If I do go this route, I'll probably have my Nelson with dot for sale.
Thanks, Kurt
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

M41 advice Empty Re: M41 advice

Post by cdrt Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:50 am

One of the guys here bought a new Performance Center Model 41 and has had nothing but trouble with it.  The trigger pull out of the box was over 5 pounds.  He sent it to the S&W repair center twice to get them to reduce the trigger pull, but no go.  S&W changed the safety somewhere along the line.  He had to put some tape on it, to keep it from engaging on it's own, while firing the timed/rapid stages. One of the gun stores here has two older Model 41's in the box for about the same amount of money.  He would have been better off buying one of those.

And then, one of the other guys bought a slightly used PC Model 41 off GunBroker and it shoots like a dream, go figure.  I will still look for an older one, rather than spend the money on a Performance Center gun.

Last edited by cdrt on Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by Russ OR Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:32 pm

There's a sticker on my range box:   "Friends don't let friends shoot S&W 41s". 

Some run fine. -- Too many don't. 
2¢-YMMV.

Wingdings Capital J

Russ OR

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:08 pm

Thanks. I'm open to recommendations for a good .22 BE gun.
Kurt
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:42 pm

What is wrong with your Nelson conversion that you would want to replace it ?
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:01 pm

C.Perkins wrote:What is wrong with your Nelson conversion that you would want to replace it ?
Yeah?
If you want to just spendy money. Pardini,Aw-93.  Or just spend more $ and time training

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:11 pm

Thoughts are: stay with the Nelson,RO combo and change uppers between matches.
Set up a dedicated lower, along with a lower trigger weight, for the Nelson so I don't have to swap between uppers. 
Or get a M41 or similar. So, another question: would you rather have a Nelson or a 41? Would one be "better"?
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by Russ OR Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:17 pm

22 recommendation:
Personal preference.  - Your Nelson Conversion should be good. See about improving the trigger on it? - 

I started (1999) w/ a pre-2000 Buckmark "Target" 'model - It's still one of my go-to 22s - especially for iron sight shooting.
My two lifetime personal best 22 match scores (2014) are with a Marvel Conversion / old Kimber lower / Short black trigger from my SA Mil-Spec in it) / trigger pull tweaked to 2-3/4#± / tip of finger on trigger.
Good luck deciding,  Russ

Russ OR

Back to top Go down

Post by Russ OR Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:26 pm

ROs, w/ ILS mainspring housing, have a STOUT mainspring (like 30#) - change it to a Wolff 24# reduced power one $3-$4. Wolff makes springs for the SA ILS housings. Trust Wolff.
This spring swap - every few hundred roungs a touch of Neco -Molyslide on the sear/hammer hooks. - Possibly a slight tweak on the sear spring.
I call it "RO trigger work for Dummies".
Several of us have done this- all like it. 

Good luck, Russ

Russ OR

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:04 pm

kjanracing wrote:Thoughts are: stay with the Nelson,RO combo and change uppers between matches.
Set up a dedicated lower, along with a lower trigger weight, for the Nelson so I don't have to swap between uppers. 
Or get a M41 or similar. So, another question: would you rather have a Nelson or a 41? Would one be "better"?

Get another RO.  Install KC's ax hammer in both, and follow KC's spring advice.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:50 pm

I bought my M41 of Gunbroker for a grand about a year ago. It's a mid 80's that came with 5 magazines, Herrett grips(that actually fit me) and the original grips. It has never alibi'd for me in a match or failed to function in practice. Maybe I was just lucky, but I think it's an excellent firearm. I recently have been using a Hämmerli 280 that I stumbled on but shot the 41 for EIC just today.
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:54 pm

I shoot a M41. It's an older one. The magazine disconnect is worn out and had to be removed/disabled. I could've had it replaced and repaired but I prefer it without. It had some jamming issues: Failure to extract. Chamber was built up with too much carbon. Keep it CLEAN and it will work ok. Also a reduced poundage recoil spring needed to be installed to function right with Wolf Match Target ammo. Keep it clean, and keep it lubricated. Runs good. But it's a hit and miss thing. Most don't like em. I like mine. I shoot mid to high 280's with irons with it.
Tim:H11
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:03 am

The 41's seem to be a love them or hate them kind of gun.  Mine is an early 70's version and shoots wonderfully, never jams and the only problem I have is that it shoots much better than I do.  If I do my part it puts them in the X ring. If I don't point it in the right direction it does not.  See if somebody near you has one you can try then go from there.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:13 am

I have several 22 match pistols (nothing that ends in a vowel) and play a lot at regular matches. When State or Regional matches come up then the 41 goes in the box. It's that simple to me.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down