Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spotting Scope Use by a Left-Eyed, Left-Handed Shootess

+3
Chris Miceli
rreid
WaltnTyr
7 posters

Go down

Spotting Scope Use by a Left-Eyed, Left-Handed Shootess Empty Spotting Scope Use by a Left-Eyed, Left-Handed Shootess

Post by WaltnTyr 9/10/2016, 7:22 pm

Howdy, Foax! I’m seeking y’all’s expert advice on the issue of spotting scopes! (Whoa!  NOT with regard to which scope is best!) In brief, my better 3/4s wants to participate in BE competition, but I have insufficient experience to advise her with regard to the placement and use of a spotting scope. Why? Because unlike her I am not (1) blind in my right eye, and (2), I am not left-handed.  Assuming, therefore, a left-eyed and left-handed shootess, a moderately-sized shooting table, the standard pistol box, a shell deflector, and a shell catcher:

First, where should her scope be positioned?

Second, should her eyepiece be straight or angled?

Many thanks in advance! Your guidance and suggestions are always sincerely appreciated!

WaltnTyr

Back to top Go down

Spotting Scope Use by a Left-Eyed, Left-Handed Shootess Empty Re: Spotting Scope Use by a Left-Eyed, Left-Handed Shootess

Post by rreid 9/10/2016, 7:29 pm

I'm left- handed, but right eye dominant, so I shoot right-handed. That being said, I would have the shooting box on the left side so I could attach the brass deflector to it, and use angled spotting scope.
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Spotting Scope Use by a Left-Eyed, Left-Handed Shootess Empty Re: Spotting Scope Use by a Left-Eyed, Left-Handed Shootess

Post by Chris Miceli 9/10/2016, 7:47 pm

Lefty shooter here, every this is setup like a right hand shooter

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 9/10/2016, 7:49 pm

I am in my right mind and I also use my left eye. If a person saw my gun box on the bench they would not be able to tell if I was right handed or left handed. An angled eyepiece would be a plus, I don't have one but I could see that it could lessen some twisting to look in the eyepiece.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 9/10/2016, 7:59 pm

setup as a right hander. just position yourself for a short lean to the scope.

I tried it on the right side, you get pelted by the shooter on the left, and you have no place to place your shell catcher.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WaltnTyr 9/15/2016, 5:16 pm

Thank you, Gentlemen! Looks like left side and angled eyepiece it is! This seems to have been among the most easily answered questions I have ever asked!

Best wished & regards, Walt

WaltnTyr

Back to top Go down

Post by SMBeyer 9/15/2016, 9:09 pm

I don't know why a Lefty would want an angled eye piece.  It makes you turn your head more than a straight.  With a straight all I have to do is lean back a little.  I don't think I could even make an angled work for me without getting out of my shooting position each time.

Scott
SMBeyer
SMBeyer

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 9/15/2016, 9:13 pm

With an angled I don't have to crowd the box and I can use my plano right eye to see the target
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 9/15/2016, 9:30 pm

james r chapman wrote:With an angled I don't have to crowd the box and I can use my plano right eye to see the target
What he said.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by SMBeyer 9/15/2016, 10:04 pm

I would have to go to a chiropractor after every match if I used my right eye and an angled eye piece!
SMBeyer
SMBeyer

Back to top Go down

Post by kgs113 9/24/2016, 9:43 pm

I'm a lefty and set my box on the right with an angled scope.  Just have to lean forward a little to use the scope.  Made my own brass catcher and have it mounted on my box.

kgs113

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down