Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Browning Buckmark Trigger Job

+2
Allen Barnett
Jon Eulette
6 posters

Go down

Browning Buckmark Trigger Job Empty Browning Buckmark Trigger Job

Post by Jon Eulette 10/5/2016, 5:44 am

Someone recently asked my opinion on Buckmark trigger. Well I just did my 1st Buckmark trigger job in over 15 years so I can finally say something. First of all Buckmark is not the pistolsmiths friend in any way. Customer supplied Volquartsen trigger, hammer and extractor. Stock sear cleaned up nicely and Volq hammer is much nicer saving me a lot, no a ton of work on stock hammer. The Volq hammer strut is in the trash! Total POS! Bound up mainspring cap and wouldn't allow complete hammer travel. After wasting time on it it's in bottom of trash can. It's also longer which is a bad idea in my opinion consider geometry of frame and hammer. Any how I made a few personal modifications in the process of doing trigger job. It's nice soft breaking 2# trigger now. I will in the future charge more to work on a Buckmark because it really is much more time consuming to get it right. I could completely disassemble and put back together a Ruger MK 10-12 times in time it takes to just put it back together once. I will shoot it tomorrow.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Browning Buckmark Trigger Job Empty Re: Browning Buckmark Trigger Job

Post by Allen Barnett 10/5/2016, 5:51 am

With that being said what do you charge to do a MK III trigger job?

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by bdas 10/6/2016, 7:37 pm

So, what were the results of shooting it?

Was it a newer Buckmark, or an older one?

Do you care to elaborate in more detail on what you did, beyond "clean up stock sear" and "replace hammer with Volquartsen hammer"?  Inquiring Buckmark owners are curious to hear more.

bdas

http://guns.dsttr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 10/6/2016, 7:56 pm

Pistol is maybe 4-5 yrs old. Shot like a Buckmark; once zero'd I was shooting solid x's and 10's. Has loooong barrel, so had to hold hard even at 25 yds. Had to modify trigger bar slightly for take up. Other than that proprietary pistolsmithing techniques.
Just kidding. Sear is straight forward, hammer engagement the same. Minor tweaks based on experience.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 10/6/2016, 8:32 pm

Hi 

What do you mean by hold hard?
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 10/6/2016, 9:41 pm

Couldn't be lazy and shoot, had to hold tighter to shoot well. Has an 8" barrel. Not as forgiving.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Lightfoot 10/7/2016, 6:10 am

I bought one a few weeks ago for my kids to shoot. I tried the well published "spring flip" to improve the trigger weight. It did do that but also created about a 30% failure to reset too. I couldn't get the spring back in correctly so I took it to the local smith for trigger job. The sear spring is a booger to get in place correctly.
Lightfoot
Lightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 10/7/2016, 2:24 pm

Sounds like that volquartson kit excluding the hammer strut is the way to go.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs 10/7/2016, 3:13 pm

I've done triggers on four Buckmarks in the past year or so, using stock parts. I prep the sear on the power custom jig and "free hand" the engagement surface of the hammer using a dedicated square stone. It's almost like browning drills holes off square on purpose.  It can be done with stock parts, but I agree with john, the tedious part is reassembling to test the engagement surfaces.  I typically add the adjustment screw to the back of the frame that older buckmarks had, makes fine spring adjustment easier.

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down