Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marvel Compensator

+11
Al
Jack H
Chris Miceli
JKR
willnewton
JIMPGOV
LenV
jglenn21
dronning
STEVE SAMELAK
Warhorse
15 posters

Go down

Marvel Compensator Empty Marvel Compensator

Post by Warhorse Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:35 am

Does anyone here use a Marvel compensator on their .22lr conversion?

If so, which is preferred, steel or aluminum?

Warhorse

Back to top Go down

Marvel Compensator Empty Re: Marvel Compensator

Post by STEVE SAMELAK Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:39 am

I have the steel, but I only put it on to add weight to the nose.
I like the balance with it but it can be a pita to keep clean & clear.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:41 am

I have a steel one, put it on took it off.  

To Steve's point my buddy's scores started tanking.  Turns out it was dirt built up in the compensator.  He has one in his spare parts box now too.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Warhorse Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:26 pm

STEVE SAMELAK wrote:I have the steel, but I only put it on to add weight to the nose.
I like the balance with it but it can be a pita to keep clean & clear.
What makes it hard to clean?

Warhorse

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:33 pm

Crud builds up inside & plugs the ports &  eventually the exit.
I tried compensator spray (which is no longer made) but the crud is persistant
Don't laugh but the only thing that seems to prevent build up was to season it like a cast iron frying pan with canola oil.  Sounds stupid but it has been working.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by Warhorse Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:06 pm

About how many rounds could you fire through it before the gun started to malfunction?

Warhorse

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:34 pm

Try welders antI splatter spray on a clean comp
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:05 pm

Warhorse wrote:About how many rounds could you fire through it before the gun started to malfunction?
One. It's cumulative. The problem very slowly creeps up on you until you start asking yourself what's going on? Then you look the pistol over and slap yourself on the forehead because you didn't notice the slow build up of composite. The muzzle break on my 41 also sits in the parts bin. I got tired of cleaning it with a file and pick.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:43 pm

There is a real question about if a compensator actually helps with a 22, other than the additional weight on the muzzle, because 22's just don't generate enough gas pressure to help reduce muzzle flip.

If you aren't doing it for the weight balance, then I would't use it.  Check your hold with and without.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Warhorse Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:43 am

Thanks guys, I will not be spending the $60 on one.

Warhorse

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:29 am

GOOD DECISION, NOT TO BUY ONE. I TRIED ONE IN THE RANSOM REST. WITH THE COMPENSATOR ON THE MARVEL IT DOUBLED THE GROUP SIZE AT 50YDS. TAKE IT OFF , GROUP RETURNED TO NORMAL. THE COMPENSATOR WAS CLEAN ( BRAND NEW). JP

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:55 am

Same thing with the old 41 comp for the  7 3/8 barrel

Accuracy was better without
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:28 am

I can also verify accuracy loss via compensator with Ruger 22/45.  Tandemkross compensator easily added 2" to groups from a sandbag.

I shot next to a guy that shot a great match and came back next week with a compensator on his SW Victory.  He did terrible and proceeded to shoot poorly for the next four weeks.  "I can't understand.  I only added the compensator."

Every week, we tell him to take it off, "No, I can't do that.  It's supposed to make me shoot better and it was expensive!"

He quit coming to League Night out of frustration that he couldn't shoot well enough rather than remove it.  Rolling Eyes
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:17 am

Do you think the change in accuracy is caused by the weight of the comp changing the harmonics of the barrel? Or is it the way the gas exits through the ports?

Jim

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:25 am

Free pistol shooters have comps, they have to clean them also I thinks comps need to be aligned and reamed as well.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:36 am

Free pistol compensator: Designed, engineered, and tested to win.

Uncle Daddy's Mall Ninja compensator: Designed to keep you Tacti-Cool while shooting 18" groups at 15 feet.

Laughing

willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:05 am

Chris Miceli wrote:Free pistol shooters have comps, they have to clean them also I thinks comps need to be aligned and reamed as well.

- Dave
There is a real question about if a compensator actually helps with a 22, other than the additional weight on the muzzle, because 22's just don't generate enough gas pressure to help reduce muzzle flip.

If you aren't doing it for the weight balance, then I would't use it.  Check your hold with and without.

In my shooting years ago the High Standard comp did have a small noticeable reduction in muzzle rise from the hand during sustained.  Even the built in comp on Olympics was hardly moving.  Hard to draw a comparison with the built in space barrels.  The shorts in general were not as precise as long rifle (usually GreenBox Rem)    The removable comps did reduce the muzzle flip but indeed were less accurate.  The statement on "reamed" I think is valid.  A visual check of the mounted comp alignment to the bore could predict a degree of accuracy.  If you found a comp/barrel combination with the exit hole visually more concentric to the bore, that's the comp you should use.  I used  the 7.25 fluted barrel, the 5.5 bull barrel, and the 6,75 space barrel.  And I had access to an 8" space barrel.  I still have that 5.5 bull 106 Supermatic Trophy.  I think I have 2-3 comps too.  Anybody know what to do with about 2 cases of target shorts?

Today it is fun trying out the OPA comp on the Ruger clone, and on the threaded Nelson barrels
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:51 am

I had the steel one on one of my Marvels. Got it a bit closer to the 45 in weight.  I bought it used with the comp on. Shot horribly until i looked at the comp.  Holly cow!  Had to use a twist drill bit to hog out the big chunks. After that it shot much better. Actually better than without the comp in my hand shooting.  Had more to do with the weight, than just raw accuracy.

I know i did some Ransom testing with and without, but only remember it was slightly better without than with.  Had exactly the same results when I tested my Hi Sandards with & without.  Always better accuracy without the comp.

On my Nelson, there's no need. It meets the weight without having to have a comp. I like it better this way.
Al

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawboy Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:18 am

To clean comps, 50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide/Apple cider vinegar. Let sit for an hour agitating periodically. Works very well.

Lawboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:33 am

I don't use my comps anymore for the same reasons listed above.  All of the other cleaning methods really take too much time. Here's mine.

Remove compensator. Heat to about 650F with plumbers torch. Pick up comp with a pliers and smack it on the floor. It's clean, just like that.  If you use a pliers with serrated jaws, you will scratch the compensator using this method.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by johnshamon4 Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:52 am

Rob Kovach wrote:I don't use my comps anymore for the same reasons listed above.  All of the other cleaning methods really take too much time. Here's mine.

Remove compensator. Heat to about 650F with plumbers torch. Pick up comp with a pliers and smack it on the floor. It's clean, just like that.  If you use a pliers with serrated jaws, you will scratch the compensator using this method.

Rob-

So, you mean just throw the comp away, right?  lol! lol! lol! lol!

johnshamon4

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:12 am

Lawboy wrote:To clean comps, 50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide/Apple cider vinegar. Let sit for an hour agitating periodically. Works very well.

Lawboy,
Any issues with bluing using this method?
Al

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawboy Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:05 pm

Al, I have experienced no issues with the solution stripping the finish from the compensator.  It seems unaffected by the solution.  When I remove the compensator from the solution, I immediately dunk it in a bowl of water with baking soda dissolved in it to neutralize the acids.

Last edited by Lawboy on Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added information.)

Lawboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:31 am

The peroxide/vinegar doesn't do anything to the finish of a marvel compensator.

My compensator was so jammed full of lead that the mixture really didn't do anything to the lead either.

....and no, I didn't throw away my compensator. My heat and tap method did a nice job and that compensator is still available for re-use.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MuayThaiJJ Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:34 pm

Anyone got a Marvel steel compensator sitting in their junk drawer they don't want?
MuayThaiJJ
MuayThaiJJ

https://www.youtube.com/@NickShootsStuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down