Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brass Catcher

+13
MarkOue
jglenn21
LenV
jmdavis
zanemoseley
bdas
james r chapman
sixftunda
messenger
Chris Miceli
STEVE SAMELAK
Virgil Kane
Jon Math
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Brass Catcher Empty Brass Catcher

Post by Jon Math 6/12/2017, 7:27 am

Is a brass catcher a required piece of equipment at a match?
Jon Math
Jon Math

Back to top Go down

Brass Catcher Empty Re: Brass Catcher

Post by Virgil Kane 6/12/2017, 8:10 am

NO, unless you want to save your brass.

Virgil Kane

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Math 6/12/2017, 8:25 am

So if you are shooting a semi-auto should you ask for the position on the end so you don’t spray your neighbor with your cases?
Jon Math
Jon Math

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 6/12/2017, 8:39 am

No, you get the position assigned.  It is up to me to protect my left side or ignore the incoming brass.
I have a brass catcher to collect my brass & not be a distraction to the shooter on my right, & I have a screen +glasses with side shields to help me ignore what happens on my left.

There is only ONE position on the end versus the rest of the firing line.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 6/12/2017, 8:41 am

Jon Math wrote:So if you are shooting a semi-auto should you ask for the position on the end so you don’t spray your neighbor with your cases?
Depends on how neighborly you are  Evil or Very Mad
A lot of shooters have a little screen deflector for the brass the catcher doesn't catch. I've shoot next to others without a catcher (those sponsored shooters) and myself without a screen. Took a few brass pieces off the back or head but i'm a lefty and it doesn't phase me or take away from my focus. 

Some people spend more time fidgeting with there catcher vs focusing on shooting well.

As a side note don't pickup brass right next to other shooters while they are shooting...... its really annoying.

Last edited by Chris Miceli on 6/12/2017, 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Math 6/12/2017, 8:58 am

Thanks, I shoot almost exclusively indoors now where the sides of the booth deflect everything; but I have an outdoor match this weekend, and did not want to show up unprepared.

If I decide to get a catcher, what is a good one?  I don’t want to spend a lot of valuable prep time messing with some jury rigged thing, but I’d rather not be shelling my neighbors too.
Jon Math
Jon Math

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 6/12/2017, 9:02 am

Jon Math wrote:Thanks, I shoot almost exclusively indoors now where the sides of the booth deflect everything; but I have an outdoor match this weekend, and did not want to show up unprepared.

If I decide to get a catcher, what is a good one?  I don’t want to spend a lot of valuable prep time messing with some jury rigged thing, but I’d rather not be shelling my neighbors too.
http://www.cm-machine.com/Ultimate-Brass-Catcher_c_12.html

spendy...many have tried to make their own...few succeed

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Math 6/12/2017, 9:43 am

Looks like a windsock Very Happy  I assume it must need a clamp to keep it from blowing over.    It certainly looks like a piece of gear that I should never have to buy twice and should out last me.   They run a Franklin, these days, when I comes to firearms, what doesn’t?
Jon Math
Jon Math

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 6/12/2017, 9:47 am

I love mine, works as expected,  I made my own base plate that fits in my box & is convenient to use with a spring clamp.
The range I practice at is gravel so I have enough practice setting up that I don't have to fumble on match day.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger 6/12/2017, 10:10 am

I have the CM Machine brass catcher. It's great but expensive. I have some shooting buddies that have fishing dip nets they clamp inside their steel ammo boxes for support and they seem to work well.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 6/12/2017, 10:10 am

Jon Math wrote:Looks like a windsock Very Happy  I assume it must need a clamp to keep it from blowing over.    It certainly looks like a piece of gear that I should never have to buy twice and should out last me.   They run a Franklin, these days, when I comes to firearms, what doesn’t?
they make a clamp 
http://www.cm-machine.com/Ultimate-Brass-Catcher-Accessories_c_13.html

Mine hasn't blown over, but i didn't use mine at Perry last year... one less thing to lug around.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Virgil Kane 6/12/2017, 11:10 am

Jon Math wrote:Looks like a windsock Very Happy  I assume it must need a clamp to keep it from blowing over.    It certainly looks like a piece of gear that I should never have to buy twice and should out last me.   They run a Franklin, these days, when I comes to firearms, what doesn’t?
Clamp, ratchet strap or do like I do and just slip a 10 pound weight over the pole and onto the base (as long as you on't have to walk far). Even bungee cords work if you have a lip on the bench to attach to.

Virgil

Virgil Kane

Back to top Go down

Post by sixftunda 6/12/2017, 11:16 am

I took a piece of flat steel, two feet long, one inch wide.  Drilled a hole in it.  Lay the base down, then the flat steel over the threads and then screw the brass catcher on to the piece and slide the end under the box.  The box is already strapped down so the catcher doesn't move.  Better than carrying a weight, and a clamp doesn't always work on every table.
sixftunda
sixftunda

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 6/12/2017, 12:18 pm

Looks like this
Attachments
Brass Catcher Attachment
tmp_12606-IMG_20170612_12163220480533.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(156 Kb) Downloaded 37 times
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bdas 6/12/2017, 12:57 pm

I'm one of "those people" who use a fishing net as a brass catcher.  I use this Frabill one
https://www.amazon.com/Frabill-Folding-Telescoping-Handle-16-Inch/dp/B001FTU7YY/
because it is a good size, folds up, telescopes for different bench heights, has mesh small enough to catch 22 brass, and was cheap (I paid $18).  I cut off the handle and, at the range I stick it into a couple scraps of 2x4 arranged into a T-shape.  I use a couple pieces of bent wire to hold the net out away from the frame, so 22 shells don't bounce out as much.  It's extremely fancy.  In fact at the Regionals in NJ a couple weeks ago, Chris Miceli commented on how high-tech it was.  But, hey, it works, and last I checked, they didn't award bonus points for having the nicest brass catcher on the line.

bdas

http://guns.dsttr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 6/12/2017, 11:16 pm

I say just buy the CMM catcher. I don't mind making DIY stuff when it makes sense but the CMM catcher is a lot nicer than a likely homemade rig. If you're worrying about $100 in this sport you're going to have a hard time of it.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 6/13/2017, 12:20 am

A brass catcher is an extra. There is nothing wrong with one, but it is not necessary. And with my ball gun that slings brass like a combination of an SKS and a Glock, it doesn't work anyway. You need a decent gun, something to carry it in, and ammo. I think a spotting scope is nice too. The rest can come as wanted and needed.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 6/13/2017, 12:30 am

On my ball gun the brass catcher would have to be mounted on my hat or right shoulder. No problem watching the brass eject on that pistol. Smile
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Math 6/13/2017, 7:55 am

As I posted earlier 100 bucks in this game is common.  I was asking because I got invited to shoot at a place I have never shot at before and did not want to show up without one if they are required rather than optional.  It was really a case of wanting one but trying to decide if I needed it with next day air charges or normal shipping charges Very Happy
Jon Math
Jon Math

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 6/13/2017, 8:37 am

LenV wrote:On my ball gun the brass catcher would have to be mounted on my hat or right shoulder. No problem watching the brass eject on that pistol. Smile

If you were a lefty, you could use that big ol' right mitt of your's to catch them.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Math 6/13/2017, 8:54 am

Chris Miceli wrote:
LenV wrote:On my ball gun the brass catcher would have to be mounted on my hat or right shoulder. No problem watching the brass eject on that pistol. Smile

If you were a lefty, you could use that big ol' right mitt of your's to catch them.

I have an open collar that does a good job at catching them. Nothing like “feeling the burn” to distract you in a timed fire string.
Jon Math
Jon Math

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 6/13/2017, 8:56 am

Having a case catch in the rim of your glasses is even better...
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkOue 6/13/2017, 9:05 am

zanemoseley wrote:I say just buy the CMM catcher. I don't mind making DIY stuff when it makes sense but the CMM catcher is a lot nicer than a likely homemade rig. If you're worrying about $100 in this sport you're going to have a hard time of it.

I wish I would have written the above post.  The CMM just plain works great!  A little expensive but a small cost compared to cost of guns, ammo, gas to ranges and matches, entry fees and hotels at matches.  Yikes!  Heck if I wasn't addicted to guns and shooting I could retire!

MarkOue

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Math 6/13/2017, 9:06 am

I suspect that would get your attention pretty fast.
Jon Math
Jon Math

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Math 6/13/2017, 9:12 am

MarkOue wrote:
zanemoseley wrote:I say just buy the CMM catcher. I don't mind making DIY stuff when it makes sense but the CMM catcher is a lot nicer than a likely homemade rig. If you're worrying about $100 in this sport you're going to have a hard time of it.

I wish I would have written the above post.  The CMM just plain works great!  A little expensive but a small cost compared to cost of guns, ammo, gas to ranges and matches, entry fees and hotels at matches.  Yikes!  Heck if I wasn't addicted to guns and shooting I could retire!

LOL I shot rifle, compared to that equipment race (including the clothing, mats, scope stands, kneeling rolls, slings gloves, off hand stands etc)pistol shooting is almost cheap.   All the other expenses you mentioned are there, but at least we don’t have to haul a wardrobe trunk to every meet.
Jon Math
Jon Math

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next