Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why is this site not popular ?

+12
Keithcrc
Slartybartfast
Gary Wells
Wobbley
SachStormare
rreid
Rob Kovach
Chris Miceli
Skid
james r chapman
Ghillieman
Multiracer
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why is this site not popular ? Empty Why is this site not popular ?

Post by Multiracer Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:20 pm

Why is this site not popular ? Cropped-Pistolmatcheslogo2

I just looked at Ohio, Michigan, Indiana. Three matches listed ? One in Ohio, none in Michigan and a couple in Indiana.
Its no wonder this hobby/ sport does not grow.

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Why is this site not popular ? Empty Re: Why is this site not popular ?

Post by Ghillieman Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:23 pm

I have found this website to be one of the easiest ways of spreading and finding information about matches. Hopefully more people will recognize this and use it.
Ghillieman
Ghillieman

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:03 pm

can't tell you why it's not there, but, the Michigan State shoot is the weekend of Sept 9-10 in Ionia, Michigan

Last edited by james r chapman on Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:08 am

Michigan State Shoot  Sept 9th-10th (Sat-Sun) shooting starts at 9:30.

Skid

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:17 am

i added a few matches earlier in the year. A shooter may need to add to it the page for the match director to ease their workload. 

If you're on the east coast http://www.njpistol.com/  has a very nice calendar as well as online registration,  also http://www.bullseyematches.com/ has a good list of matches for the east side.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:53 pm

The site is new. People in each state need to chip in, and add matches that they become aware of.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:11 pm

Rob Kovach wrote:The site is new.  People in each state need to chip in, and add matches that they become aware of.
Agree, but it will soon become old and stale. Is it the local ranges feel they do not need to advertise ?
Me being a noob, it has been frustrating trying to find dates and places to shoot ?
Kind of like Skid up a couple of posts. Michigan State shoot ????? No info at all if you don't live around the corner ?
It is the 21st century after all.
Done ranting now........ carry on.   affraid affraid affraid

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Why is this site not popular ? Empty Mich state shoot

Post by james r chapman Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:29 pm

PROGRAM.
Attachments
Why is this site not popular ? Attachment
2017 Michigan Outdoor Precision Pistol C'ship.pdf You don't have permission to download attachments.(64 Kb) Downloaded 9 times
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:05 pm

Another place to check is here:
https://www.ssusa.org/coming-events/

When match directors turn in their info to the NRA, the matches magically appear on this page after about 2 or 3 months.
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by SachStormare Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:33 am

rreid wrote:Another place to check is here:

When match directors turn in their info to the NRA, the matches magically appear on this page after about 2 or 3 months.

Well, that would ease things up.  Smile

SachStormare

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:20 am

The owners of pistolmatches.com need to get a web scrape utility to mine the data from this site and others.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:13 am

Wobbley wrote:The owners of pistolmatches.com need to get a web scrape utility to mine the data from this site and others.
The owners funds and maintain the page free of charge to us and on his own time. Contact him if you want to take over the page?

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Wells Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:17 pm

Would it help if members attending matches printed up the site's name and the WWW. addy on small pieces of paper and then distributed them to others shooting or attending the matches that are not members?

Another possibility of increasing the membership and match awareness of this site could be to get several members together and buy some business cards with the site name and WWW. addy?

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by SachStormare Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:10 am

Gary Wells wrote:Would it help if members attending matches printed up the site's name and the ww. addy on small pieces of paper and then distributed them to others shooting or attending the matches that are not members?

Another possibility of increasing the membership and match awareness of this site could be to get several members together and buy some business cards with the site name and ww. addy?

This is just a suggestion, of course. Wink

SachStormare

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Wells Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:20 am

Well, yes, I should have denoted that in the beginning. I would think that the forum owner might be interested enough to supply the business cards or the $$ for them. Then ship them to some of the members that attend the matches. And I would be more than happy to undertake the passing out of the cards but I do not attend the matches as I am under daily visits of nurses to tend to an open wound that I have on my foot due to losing three toes and a major part of my foot last year. I do support this site by posting up info that I see on this site on other sites or at least make reference to this site.

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:24 am

It's not popular for the same reason so many decent ideas aren't popular.
Besides the expense and effort required to advertise and promote the site, getting diverse organisations to cooperate is much like herding cats. Particularly when there's a mix of politically or economically self-interested groups and overworked volunteer organisations.
In every activity and volunteer based groups I've been in I've lamented the absence of regional/national involvement in helping local groups setup and maintain websites, distribute communication, keep member rosters, create and maintain calendars.
And most importantly of all...
For the best interest of the activity COOPERATE OPENLY!
All of the national and regional organisations should cooperate and share information in databases with a common interchange structure.
If they did, other organisations or individuals could promote or include the information from numerous sources.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:44 am

For example of what I think is a horrendously dysfunctional way to communicate, WTH is the following not available and displayed through a searchable database that can be filtered by event type, date range, and location/distance?
Display by map, by list, by ...
PistolMatches.com needs to convince them and other organisations like them to provide their data on a regular basis or in a way they can access it.
Perhaps a backdoor/surreptitious way to do it would be to offer services to each individual organisation to create the webpage/database model for their individual web page and then offer the opportunity to share with others later.
An easy example of "WTH guys? COOPERATE!" would be the FQT, the SFC, the CSSA, and the NFA.
Yes, there is some overlap and competition between the organisations, but think they could merge the FQT's amazing range finder map and listed ranges (FQT) with the SFC's plain list of clubs (SFC) and the other provincial and discipline specific organisations that have club lists online?
Maybe some cross border cooperation too? There's a great industry database of ranges, with a horrible (tedious? blocked from work, so I'm commenting on past experience) interface, from the NSSF in the USA (NSSF where to Shoot).
Each organisation could show their members highlighted while still showing others.
Guess this is a "big data"/"data should be free and shared" kind of rant.

Last edited by Slartybartfast on Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos. (flood control is a pain when you quickly see an error, but have to wait to post the correction..))
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:59 am

Another backdoor way to build a resource to greatness, contact clubs directly to provide an insert-able, searchable, events calendar and listing on their website.
For example, offer something easier to use or more shooting specific and offer it to clubs who use the Google calendar approach:
http://www.torontorevolverclub.com/mplcalendar.html
And approach clubs that have manually updated lists or pages:
http://psah.org/
Grab the club listing of a shooting organisation (both of the above were the first and second club I randomly chose at https://cssa-cila.org/clubs/ ) and offer the plug-in and services to each club in turn.
Each club, run by volunteers wants to do what's best for their resources and members, if you make that easy and increased visibility is a free bonus there might be more chance of clubs joining the application/service. But if the service is "yet something else" for the club secretary to remember, growth of a shared forum/app/service will be slow and painful.

What gets me really mad is that national organisations aren't leading this effort or supporting an open-source effort within their community.

Last edited by Slartybartfast on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed broken links.)
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by SachStormare Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:11 am

Slartybartfast wrote:What gets me really mad is that national organisations aren't leading this effort or supporting an open-source effort within their community.

Yes, and this is just sad. Just imagine if the sufficient support was given.

SachStormare

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:44 am

Edit to my posts:
The NSSF range database, which long ago I accessed through wheretoshoot.org, is now map based (and accessible through my workplace filters) at:
https://www.nssf.org/shooting/where-to-shoot/
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Keithcrc Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:10 pm

Well it seems obvious that the NRA is a little disoriented. Anybody remember the Shooting Sports magazine that competitors got, (and you got to have your picture in if you were good)? For the creepy prize scenario that BE shooters have to deal with (points etc.) You would think that a separate web mailing with match schedules for all and or specific disciplines would be emailed to classified shooters. It is their matches, we do pay for them and generally volunteer all the work. If they don't step it up a little they are going to send BEye the way of the Scheutzen match. It was as popular as modern baseball is. Granted we are in strange times, but I wish the bottom line wasn't the only thing dictating how our sport is going. We are a loyal faction of the shooting sports. Sure would be nice if we were treated that way. Let em know. I plan to.
Keithcrc
Keithcrc

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:07 pm

Keithcrc wrote:Well it seems obvious that the NRA is a little disoriented. Anybody remember the Shooting Sports magazine that competitors got, (and you got to have your picture in if you were good)? For the creepy prize scenario that BE shooters have to deal with (points etc.) You would think that a separate web mailing with match schedules for all and or specific disciplines would be emailed to classified shooters. It is their matches, we do pay for them and generally volunteer all the work. If they don't step it up a little they are going to send BEye the way of the Scheutzen match. It was as popular as modern baseball is. Granted we are in strange times, but I wish the bottom line wasn't the only thing dictating how our sport is going. We are a loyal faction of the shooting sports. Sure would be nice if we were treated that way. Let em know. I plan to.

https://www.ssusa.org/

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/nra/ssusa_201711/

https://www.ssusa.org/coming-events/
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:22 pm

I took some time with the help of my daughter a few weeks back and got most of the Northern Ohio indoor stuff entered on the Pistolmatches.com site.

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:48 am

I think the run-and-gun folks attract many more people due to its "sensational" appearance.  I imagine bullseye shooting and its competition is a yawn for most shooters.  I'll bet if the bullseye targets were similar to the human body there would be more interest.  My comment is not meant to demean the "other" pistol shooting sports as they are just as serious as bullseye shooters.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Why is this site not popular ? Empty 2018 Northern Ohio indoor matches

Post by Multiracer Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:18 pm

I just finished updating 2018 ( with the help of my Daughter ). If anyone is doing recurring monthly matches each month needs its own date and info page.

http://pistolmatches.com/

Enjoy, see you at a match
Ron

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next