Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to improve the trigger time?

5 posters

Go down

How to improve the trigger time? Empty How to improve the trigger time?

Post by javaduke 9/2/2017, 1:07 pm

Ed Hall posted in another thread wrote:Just a couple thoughts:

Most important, If your trigger is too slow, it will introduce error cover-up and induce hesitation.  Work with a trigger that is the same for all stages and is the purest form of operation during unobserved dry fire.  Work toward a smooth determined operation.

I was just about to post a question here. I realized why my .45 sustained fire is so bad. Turns out my average slow fire shot process, from the moment my sights are on the target, to the shot release, is about 5 to 8 seconds average. Probably I have developed this habit shooting an air pistol. Obviously it's not enough for the sustained fire, but during my dry fire practice every time I try to be more aggressive on the trigger, I end up jerking it and sending my shots down and to the left. It's not so bad with .22, and I still get most of my shots on the black, and occasionally even clean the short line, but with a heavy trigger it simply doesn't work.
So I guess my question is, are there any drills and/or techniques aimed at reducing the trigger time.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

How to improve the trigger time? Empty Re: How to improve the trigger time?

Post by Jon Eulette 9/2/2017, 1:26 pm

You have to start the squeeze when lowering into the target from your lift. Have about half the trigger weight pulled before settling. Keep trigger moving the ENTIRE time you are lowering and settling. Let the shot break! Don't help it. You can only master this through dry firing. Most shooters unfortunately don't dry fire near enough and it shows on their targets. Shots that break sooner are typically way better than shots that are held too long. Chris Miceli is squeezing trigger like this now and his scores are reflecting it. 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer 9/2/2017, 4:46 pm

Do you recommend dry firing with a target in view or just a blank wall to develop trigger only and dot centering ?
Ron

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 9/2/2017, 4:58 pm

95%+ at blank wall. Target is a distraction to most of the fundamentals. Its also why I believe focusing on dot is better than focusing on target. I center dot in scope tube and try to maintain that alignment like iron sights. I accept my movement/hold and keep trigger moving.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 9/2/2017, 6:01 pm

You might want to review this article:

Improving Hold and Trigger Manipulation

I commonly suggest two drills at the range.  The first one is to step through several dry fire stages in the following manner:

1 - Without looking at the gun, but with the gun in a safe direction dry fire until you have a smooth, somewhat fast and consistent trigger operation.

2 - Looking from the top at the gun, perform the same operation looking for the gun to remain steady.

3 - With the gun sighted at a blank area toward the target, perform the same operation looking for the sighting system to remain steady.

4 - With the normal target, perform the same operation looking for the sighting system to remain steady.

If any of the subsequent steps introduces a noticeable increase in trigger time, rehearse the previous step.

The second drill is what I call a Progressive Drill:

Start by determining a ring to work within, based on your capabilities.  Fire one round and verify that you are within your ring.  Fire a second round and verify that you are again within your ring.

- If you have met the two successes goal, fire two rounds and repeat the verification.

- From here on, fire the number of rounds you are working with, such that if you succeed twice, you add a round, but if you fail once, you subtract a round.

- If you find you're staying at 1, go for a larger ring.  OTOH, if you make it to 5 rounds and stay there, unless you're using the 10 ring, move to a smaller one.

- If you are using the 10 ring and all your shots are within, carry on with your five shot practicing.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer 9/2/2017, 6:06 pm

Nice info, I just wish I had more free time to implement these techniques. I do practice at a blank wall to learn to center the dot but probably not enough.

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 9/2/2017, 7:45 pm

I'M one of those people that doesn't dry fire like I should. With this forums advise I have greatly improved rapidly. Shot my best slow fires and best ones today to include a 97-3,98-5,100-5. What really has been working for me is what Jon has pointed out. Actually getting on the trigger before you get in the 10ring. Also I finely developed some confidence with my trigger pull and have been more aggressive on it while trusting my hold. It took me from struggling to stay In the slow 90s to where I have been the past few matches.

Another something Jon has posted is to develope multiple trigger pull speeds. More tools in the bag for when you need them.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down