Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who would you trust to work on a Colt Python

+7
AllAces
Multiracer
Ghillieman
troystaten
Jon Eulette
Wobbley
cdrt
11 posters

Go down

Who would you trust to work on a Colt Python Empty Who would you trust to work on a Colt Python

Post by cdrt 12/9/2017, 8:40 am

Just acquired a Colt Python vintage 1970's.  It has been used a lot but still shoots very well.
My question, once I finish shooting DR matches (I just need 6 points and I am done), who would you send it to for a blue job and general tune-up?
The previous owner had two holes drilled and tapped for a scope mount, since he was shooting silhouette matches.  I have plugged them with the appropriate filler screws.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Who would you trust to work on a Colt Python Empty Re: Who would you trust to work on a Colt Python

Post by Wobbley 12/9/2017, 9:49 am

Doug Turnbull Restorations.  Sounds like it just needs basic restoration?
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Who would you trust to work on a Colt Python Empty Re: Who would you trust to work on a Colt Python

Post by Jon Eulette 12/9/2017, 11:41 am

I believe Colt will still do it. I have a friend that sent his back a few yours ago and had it refinished.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten 12/9/2017, 1:19 pm

Check out the Colt forum (http://www.coltforum.com) there is a guy in the Phoenix AZ area I think his name is Frank Glen who specializes in Colt DA's

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt 12/9/2017, 3:57 pm

Wobbley wrote:Doug Turnbull Restorations.  Sounds like it just needs basic restoration?
Yep, nothing fancy but I would like to do something with the screw holes in the top of the frame.
I tried calling Colt but was on hold so long, I gave up.  Will try them again next week.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghillieman 12/9/2017, 4:06 pm

I'm interested in this. Daryl I would like to know the route you finally go with and how everything ends up. I would like to do the same with my Colt Officer Model Match.
Ghillieman
Ghillieman

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt 12/9/2017, 4:09 pm

Ghillieman wrote:I'm interested in this. Daryl I would like to know the route you finally go with and how everything ends up. I would like to do the same with my Colt Officer Model Match.
Will let you know what I find out.  BTW, there was a like NIB Officer's Model Match at the gun show today.  I think it was in the $1K range.  They also had a like NIB Python, but no price on it.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 12/9/2017, 6:26 pm

If you have to ask, you can’t afford it.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer 12/9/2017, 7:28 pm

This guy looks like he understands revolvers.
https://tenring.com
And as an added bonus he is in Texas.

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces 12/9/2017, 8:10 pm

Multiracer wrote:This guy looks like he understands revolvers.
https://tenring.com
And as an added bonus he is in Texas.

Alex Hamilton at Ten Ring does exceptional work and is reasonably priced.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye_Stan 12/10/2017, 7:36 am

Colt still services revolvers made after 1958 including the Python.  I contacted Colt factory service for retiming my 38 Officers Model Match in 2015.   Colt does not sell any parts for the internal mechanism of their revolvers.  But they will replace worn parts when servicing revolvers.

FWIW, the Officers Model Match pre-dated the Python and uses the same frame and lockwork but is 38 special.  I don't recall the cost for service being economical, and for some reason they wanted to re-blue the revolver (which it doesn't need).  I was able to correct the timing after reading the shop manual by Kuhnhuasen, buying a new hand, and making another bolt for an Officers Model Special which required work.  As a note: it took me about six months to make the bolt and decypher what Kuhnhausen was describing.

Edit: Here is a pic of the bolt - it wasn't an easy part to machine (for me) and needed to be heat treated to spring steel temper; this one was made from 1095 steel.

Who would you trust to work on a Colt Python XOR0Q06

Bullseye_Stan

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 12/14/2017, 7:32 pm

Revolvers: No one better than Sandy Garrett at Northern Virginia Gun Works in Springfield, VA. No one does Pythons better. Even better at S&W's. Expensive and slow, but will not be disappointed.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by bking 12/18/2017, 10:57 am

I had Colt work on my Python a few years ago. When it came back they had mis-adjusted the bolt so it was dragging on the cylinder, leaving a scratch all around. They did fix it for me but it involved another 8 weeks without my gun. Last month I called to inquire about more work & they said they no longer are working on them. They referred me to a shop in Montana.

Grant Cunningham used to be the man for Colt revolvers but he has retired from smithing (he still teaches though). Last time I spoke with him he suggested Frank Glenn in Arizona.

bking

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV 12/18/2017, 1:06 pm

Wobbley wrote:If you have to ask, you can’t afford it.
I LOVE THOSE TAGS "P.O.R." AT SHOWS. TO ME THEY'VE ALWAYS MEANT "PRICED OUTA REACH".
TURNBULL FOR FINISH RESTORATION
ALEX HAMILTON AT 10RING FOR INTERIOR WORK.
JP

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down