Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Larger grip for K-frame revolver or go N-frame?

+4
USSR
Wobbley
LenV
willnewton
8 posters

Go down

Larger grip for K-frame revolver or go N-frame? Empty Larger grip for K-frame revolver or go N-frame?

Post by willnewton Tue May 15, 2018 8:28 am

I saw a recent thread on revolvers in which Lenv commented that he shot a SW Model 27 in .357mag as his .38 revolver.  The reason was that the large frame fit his hand better.  Also, there were comments that the alternate chambering caused no noticable loss in accuracy.  I too, have large hands, but am not as familiar with the grip options for revolvers.

I have an old SW Model 10 with a K-frame and a newer SW 625-4 with an N-frame.  I like the weight of the 10, but the grip is too small.  The 625 is sized right, but is a heavy beast.

So, maybe I need an L-frame you might say, but my understanding is that the grip size is similar to the K-frame, just the cylinder area is beefed up for .357 rounds.  However, it is easy to see that SW has a larger style grip on those L-frames than you see on the vintage pistols.  So it looks like I should be able to just get a bigger grip and possibly solve the problem that way.

I have no intention on shooting .357mag. I am just looking for a DR style revolver with a good sized grip on it and am open to options, except that I want to stay in the SW family.

There are a bazillion aftermarket grips available and I am just wondering what folks with big hands are doing to get a good grip on their K-frames.  I know Nill offers many styles, but am not familiar enough with their revolver line to just take a guess and hope it works out.

I would love the excuse to just get a Model 27, but I was thinking I could work this out with a set of grips rather than a new gun.

Len, you and I have similar “magnum-sized” hands and I know you love wheelguns.  Whaddaya think?
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Larger grip for K-frame revolver or go N-frame? Empty Re: Larger grip for K-frame revolver or go N-frame?

Post by LenV Tue May 15, 2018 10:17 am

I found a set of Nills for my 14-6 that fit nice. But a lot less expensive is to get a set of Pachmyer presentation grips in large/oversize. They are N frame sized to fit a K frame. Perfectly legal for DR. The Nills are not cheap but worth every penny.

http://www.mactecsales.com/SW046XL_p/sw046xl.htm
Larger grip for K-frame revolver or go N-frame? Dscf0824
They make these in two sizes and SB or RB
Larger grip for K-frame revolver or go N-frame? 20180515
Larger grip for K-frame revolver or go N-frame? 20180516

Last edited by LenV on Tue May 15, 2018 11:02 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added a picture and info)
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Larger grip for K-frame revolver or go N-frame? Empty Re: Larger grip for K-frame revolver or go N-frame?

Post by Wobbley Tue May 15, 2018 10:50 am

Try a set of S&W “Target” grips on your 10. Most 10s were shipped with “Magna” grips which are pretty small. Here are two pics showing the difference. The one with the gray background is the Magna,

Larger grip for K-frame revolver or go N-frame? 0a385510
Larger grip for K-frame revolver or go N-frame? Ae936210
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by USSR Tue May 15, 2018 12:14 pm

Wobbley wrote:Try a set of S&W “Target” grips on your 10.  Most 10s were shipped with “Magna” grips which are pretty small.

+1.

Don
USSR
USSR

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Tue May 15, 2018 12:27 pm

LenV wrote:I found a set of Nills for my 14-6 that fit nice. But a lot less expensive is to get a set of Pachmyer presentation grips in large/oversize. They are N frame sized to fit a K frame. Perfectly legal for DR. The Nills are not cheap but worth every penny.

http://www.mactecsales.com/SW046XL_p/sw046xl.htm
Larger grip for K-frame revolver or go N-frame? Dscf0824
They make these in two sizes and SB or RB
Larger grip for K-frame revolver or go N-frame? 20180515
Larger grip for K-frame revolver or go N-frame? 20180516
you can keep the grips Len, just send me the gun.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton Tue May 15, 2018 9:03 pm

Well, I definitely have the Magna grips, so it is good to know I can go larger.

I ordered the Nill grips you recommended from Mactec, Len.  I have a set of Nills for another gun and know they are nice, I know their XL size works for my hand, and they will keep near their original value.  Now the waiting begins.  I hope I made the cutoff for the latest batch, which was today.

in the meantime, I ordered a set of the Pachmayr presentation grips because they were relatively affordable and will be here in a couple of days.

Taking the road to Revolvertown this summer!  Thanks guys
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Tue May 15, 2018 9:20 pm

Try Herrett. http://www.herrettstocks.com/

Some grips they request a hand tracing, thus custom to your hand size.

MJ
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Tue May 15, 2018 11:31 pm

willnewton wrote:I saw a recent thread on revolvers in which Lenv commented that he shot a SW Model 27 in .357mag as his .38 revolver.  The reason was that the large frame fit his hand better.  Also, there were comments that the alternate chambering caused no noticable loss in accuracy.  I too, have large hands, but am not as familiar with the grip options for revolvers.

I have an old SW Model 10 with a K-frame and a newer SW 625-4 with an N-frame.  I like the weight of the 10, but the grip is too small.  The 625 is sized right, but is a heavy beast.

So, maybe I need an L-frame you might say, but my understanding is that the grip size is similar to the K-frame, just the cylinder area is beefed up for .357 rounds.  However, it is easy to see that SW has a larger style grip on those L-frames than you see on the vintage pistols.  So it looks like I should be able to just get a bigger grip and possibly solve the problem that way.

I have no intention on shooting .357mag. I am just looking for a DR style revolver with a good sized grip on it and am open to options, except that I want to stay in the SW family.

There are a bazillion aftermarket grips available and I am just wondering what folks with big hands are doing to get a good grip on their K-frames.  I know Nill offers many styles, but am not familiar enough with their revolver line to just take a guess and hope it works out.

I would love the excuse to just get a Model 27, but I was thinking I could work this out with a set of grips rather than a new gun.

Len, you and I have similar “magnum-sized” hands and I know you love wheelguns.  Whaddaya think?
  Len, what grips are those in your 3rd photo the one farthest right? I have smaller hands and those look smaller at the bottom, not so much flare. I'd like to find some of those Magna grips Wobbley has. I'm kinda the opposite hand size you and Will have.

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Wed May 16, 2018 12:27 am

They are Sile target grips with a thumb rest. Great for Reeves. Not legal for DR

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sile-no-7-K-TR-target-grips-for-S-W-K-frame-masterpiece-revolvers-new/263667892689?hash=item3d63d4c1d1:g:tB0AAOSwO0Ra8HyH
Larger grip for K-frame revolver or go N-frame? S-l1600
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton Wed May 16, 2018 8:04 pm

So, I had the chance to make use of an unusually well-timed and priced opportunity today.  I came home with a set of those S&W target grips.  As an added bonus, they were attached to a pistol!

So I happened to find a S&W Model 19 that was just 30 minutes away from me on Gunbroker.com.  It had a set of the S&W target grips and even a red dot.  Better yet, it was at a gun shop I was familiar with and I had a pistol I wanted to trade in that was pretty close in value to the M19.  I saw that it was a K-frame and .357mag, but man it sure looked like a beefy Model 14 or K-38, but not monster sized like an N-frame either.  It also appeared to have been seldom shot or holstered.  I am taking a revolversmithing class this summer and wanted one more to work on and well, it was not hard to twist my arm.  Even SWMBO would allow me to walk in with one box and walk out with one box, right?   lol!

I thought this pic and info might help with those using the search function one day.

Here you can see L to R:  S&W Model 10 .38 spl 4” barrel K-frame with Magna grips, S&W Model 19 .357 mag 6” K-frame with Target grips, S&W 625-4 Model of 1988 5” N-frame with Fitz target grips.

It is amazing how much more aggro-looking the 19 is next to the milquetoast Model 10, yet share exact same frames.  Of course, the N-frame is longer (not counting barrel), beefier, and has some serious cylinder girth.

I think and hope this Model 19 has got some real promise to it.  It needs a rear sight, since one was not included, and I intend on giving it the works at my class.  Once the Nills show up and this baby is worked over, mmmmmmmm  Twisted Evil

Larger grip for K-frame revolver or go N-frame? 22b3f110
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Wed May 16, 2018 8:20 pm

Good catch (let me know if you need help with rear sight). If they find it in their search they can also compare a 19, 14 and a 27 top to bottom.

Larger grip for K-frame revolver or go N-frame? Lens_b12
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton Thu May 17, 2018 12:33 pm

I just got in the set of Pachmayr presentation grips.  I ordered them despite the reviews on Amazon stating these new grips don’t match the old in quality. At the time, I just needed a bigger grip ASAP.

I wish I hadn’t.  These grips are molded into a one piece soft rubber grip.  It slides over the frame and has a single screw (which is too long BTW).  The gap caused by poor mold tooling at the front strap is very unattractive and worse, does not feel good at all.  

The grippiness is nice, but won’t overcome the faults in the molding.  They are definitely more in line with the larger SW Target grip size than the Magna grips.

Regardless, the S&W target grip shape feels better to me than the Pachmayr.  I will be returning the rubber grips.

I hope the old style Pachs fit and look better than the new ones!
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Thu May 17, 2018 12:49 pm

I didn't know they have an old and a new style. I guess all I have are old style. They fit and feel good. I also have extras of those. I seem to collect things. Found a new site last night for grips. Kinda scary. There are a lot of grips there that I drooled over.

http://www.ksdgripsusa.com/

K frame pretty small Rolling Eyes 
Larger grip for K-frame revolver or go N-frame? Pictur11
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by ST BERNARD Sat May 26, 2018 2:25 pm

Larger grip for K-frame revolver or go N-frame? 70f6d810
Took me a while to find these and dig them out.  If any of you would want to try making a pair for yourself. They are cut for square butt K frame. Can finish fitting them to the gun in a evening.....they are close. LH side is over  a inch thick for thumb rests and they have enough stock on them to make into very big grips if needed. Hardware is set into them.
    Bought a batch from a guy on S and W forum. He had like 100 sets at the time.  Have since lost his contact info, but you can run him down over there as "Smitholdtimer".  Think he sold them to me for 10 bucks a set. I also opened up one pair to fit a N frame. Took a lot longer, but can be done.
                                                         All our best, and a fine Memorial Day, and don't forget what Memorial Day really is about;
                                                                                                                                                            Bill

ST BERNARD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down