Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aimpoint w/Kodiak mount and Sun shades

+4
LenV
Jon Eulette
Wobbley
Magload
8 posters

Go down

Aimpoint w/Kodiak mount and Sun shades Empty Aimpoint w/Kodiak mount and Sun shades

Post by Magload 7/5/2018, 7:36 pm

Well I received the mount and shades today but did not get the shades on the T1.  My 4" drill press vice was just not up to the task.  To small and jaws to loose.  Going to have to buy a milling vice.  Maybe I will just add these shades to the parts drawer.  Did get the mount on the Aimpoint and it back on the gun.  I can lay a level across the rail and one across the top of the Aimpoint and all is level.  More then I could say about the mount that came with it.   I am sure with more effort I might have got it level but for how long.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Aimpoint w/Kodiak mount and Sun shades Empty Re: Aimpoint w/Kodiak mount and Sun shades

Post by Wobbley 7/5/2018, 9:50 pm

Take it to a local machine shop.  Ask them to press it on with one of their smaller presses.  Probably do it for free.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Aimpoint w/Kodiak mount and Sun shades Empty Re: Aimpoint w/Kodiak mount and Sun shades

Post by Magload 7/5/2018, 9:55 pm

Wobbley wrote:Take it to a local machine shop.  Ask them to press it on with one of their smaller presses.  Probably do it for free.
That is a great idea.  Thanks  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 7/5/2018, 10:26 pm

I would most definitely 100% do it in a machinist vise not a press. Put one tube on at a time. I think it’s the rear one first so it can butt against shoulder on the scope. Then the front tube. They fit very tight. I don’t use any adhesive.
With machinist vise you can ensure that tube goes on perfectly straight. 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 7/5/2018, 11:29 pm

I think a decent machinist can press on a sleeve and get it square and true with a press or a vise.  They do it often enough.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 7/6/2018, 1:49 pm

No machine shops around here want to do it but I found a gunsmith in Jacksonville that said he could and had the equipment.  he had never done one before and had never heard of shades for Aimpoint let alone press on but he will look at it.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 7/7/2018, 2:44 pm

Don, I have just that little thing you need. Should pop it right together.

Aimpoint w/Kodiak mount and Sun shades Businessman-holding-big-hammer-white-background-43122602
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 7/7/2018, 2:52 pm

LenV wrote:Don, I have just that little thing you need. Should pop it right together.

Aimpoint w/Kodiak mount and Sun shades Businessman-holding-big-hammer-white-background-43122602
Funny but you don't know how close I have been to tapping them in place with a piece of hardwood and a hammer.  Kind of like installing Bearing Buddies on my boat trailer.  I hate to drive into the city to go to a gunsmith.   I I though I could get er done with a 4" milling vice I would buy one but the jump to a 5" is a bunch of bucks.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/7/2018, 4:32 pm

Whoever is doing it, remember how much the sight costs.

Why not call KC, or send him a message, and have him do the installation?  He will probably give you a reasonable rate, and you know it will be done properly.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 7/7/2018, 5:15 pm

I only show this as an example. I made this 30 years ago to bend steel bars. It could have a flat plate and be a press. Just saying that they are not expensive. I obviously made this out of scraps.

Aimpoint w/Kodiak mount and Sun shades 20180713
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 7/7/2018, 6:32 pm

mikemyers wrote:Whoever is doing it, remember how much the sight costs.

Why not call KC, or send him a message, and have him do the installation?  He will probably give you a reasonable rate, and you know it will be done properly.
Mike I am reaching that point.  I just feel bad asking him when I didn't buy the H1 from him.  I should have sprung for the H1, mount, and shades when he still had my gun.  He recommended the H1 but didn't say he sold them and I didn't think of asking him.  Right now I don't need the shades it is just to hot to shoot outdoors.   Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 7/7/2018, 6:36 pm

LenV wrote:I only show this as an example. I made this 30 years ago to bend steel bars. It could have a flat plate and be a press. Just saying that they are not expensive. I obviously made this out of scraps.

Aimpoint w/Kodiak mount and Sun shades 20180713
I have several bottle jacks but I bet one stroke to much and I could have a compact H1.  Think I will go with Mikes recommendation and have KC do it right.
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/7/2018, 11:26 pm

KC has most likely already read all this, and is waiting for your call.  

Suggestion #2 - ask him when the most convenient day would be for you to ship him your scope and shades?

You already did get the Kodiak mount, right?  It wouldn't hurt to send him your slide, the sight, the shades, and so on.  Unless it has already been done, the slots that work fine with the standard mount are not wide/deep enough to work with the Kodiak.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 7/7/2018, 11:40 pm

mikemyers wrote:KC has most likely already read all this, and is waiting for your call.  
KC is at Camp Perry probably until the 14th
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 7/8/2018, 12:16 am

KC responded to my email and he will do it.  Great guy.  I will be sending it to him after he gets back from Perry.  This really takes a load off my mind and I can get back to shooting the great gun he made for me.  I don't need the shades for shooting indoors and it is just to hot for me to shoot outdoors. Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyJoints 7/8/2018, 5:34 am

How about a 6" C-clamp?
RustyJoints
RustyJoints

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 7/18/2018, 9:35 am

Don, I'm back.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down