Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Damage to Chamber Face - Ruger MkIII

+9
8eightring
Aprilian
lyman1903
jglenn21
mikemyers
zanemoseley
cdrt
Tim:H11
Steamerbill
13 posters

Go down

Damage to Chamber Face - Ruger MkIII Empty Damage to Chamber Face - Ruger MkIII

Post by Steamerbill Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:35 pm

Hello all,

Started dry firing a Ruger MKIII Target model a couple of months ago. Pistol is (was) in excellent condition, kept clean, oiled, etc.

Came home forom the range the other day and gave the pistol a light cleaning before going back to the range the following day.

Next day at the range the pistol will not load first cartridge from any magazine. Cartridge stops about 1/3 way into the chamber and scraps lead strip on cartridge.

Upon further inspection, discover that there is a definite dimple on the breach face, obviously caused by the firing pin. Bolt is in good shape, the firing pin stop pin is in proper location. Everything looks good except for the breach.

In further research there was apparently a tool available that would fix this, but they are no longer available.

Have any of uyou seen this issue? and if so is there anyway to repair it?

Hoping to not have to replace the upper unit. Your thoughts appreciated...
Steamerbill
Steamerbill

Back to top Go down

Damage to Chamber Face - Ruger MkIII Empty Re: Damage to Chamber Face - Ruger MkIII

Post by Tim:H11 Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:41 pm

Check to make sure firing pin isn’t broken. Sometimes, if the firing pin is broken, both halves stay in the bolt but there is no longer a stop for the forward half and it hits the breach face. Check to see if either MidwayUSA or Brownells sells a rimfire chamber de-burring tool. I forget what it’s called...

Back to top Go down

Damage to Chamber Face - Ruger MkIII Empty Re: Damage to Chamber Face - Ruger MkIII

Post by Tim:H11 Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:46 pm

If the tool is no longer made/sold then having someone take a chamber reamer to it may be in order.

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:49 pm

You might also want to check and make sure the firing pin stop is still in the bolt assembly.  The owner's manual cautions, that it needs to correctly installed to prevent damage to the bolt face and that it can fall out during normal cleaning.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:09 pm

The tool Brownell's used to sell was called a chamber iron I think.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:16 pm

I don't know much about this personally, but in all the reading I did a while back, I read that one should never "remove" material to fix the problem - the material needs to be forced back to where it came from.  I can't vouch for this, but it was from what I recall was a very trustworthy source.  I'll see if I can find it again.  I think, not sure, it came from one of the discussions on "Rimfire Central Forums", in a discussion about High Standard guns.

Edit - added later:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451152
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:31 pm

Menck chamber iron.

There are some for sale on eBay today as well as just the swaging portion of the tool
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by lyman1903 Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:01 am

a section of drill rod, in the proper size, will work as well, 

just bend it a bit to access the area, and go slow, 
(round off any sharp edges when you cut the piece of drill rod)
lyman1903
lyman1903

http://www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:13 am

I saw a hint to make your own chamber iron by taking a punch with a tapered section (from handle down to punch diameter) and using that tapered shoulder as an iron to push back any metal which was impeding the start of the chamber.   I suppose you could also file a flat on one side of the tapered section to (like the Menck iron) go where the material is in the chamber and simply turn it to move the metal back to its original shape.

I would find this easier than working with a drill rod.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Damage to Chamber Face - Ruger MkIII Empty Chamber iron

Post by 8eightring Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:03 am

I purchased a used 22 with a slight dimple on the breech face. A chamber iron is easily made with a 1/4 bolt, file and drill. Keep the transition from radius to the flat smooth and with a slight rounded edge. Don't cut metal, just displace it.
Damage to Chamber Face - Ruger MkIII Chambe10
8eightring
8eightring

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:03 am

long tapered punches were used for years prior to the Menck tool...
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by 285wannab Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:55 am

A punch is what I have used before along with a small round file.   I filled the divot with JB Weld.  The JB Weld is not necessary.  There should be enough support from the sides of the divot for a good firing pin strike.

285wannab

Back to top Go down

Post by Steamerbill Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:59 am

Thanks  for all of the feedback guys. I ordered one of the tools off of eBay. We will see how it goes.
Steamerbill
Steamerbill

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:27 am

menck tool is available on ebay,very rare to see,because are discontinued. i buy one today!
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:06 pm

Greetings,

Buy a bag of these "Dry Fire" plugs at your local hardware store...

Damage to Chamber Face - Ruger MkIII Images10
Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by Lightfoot Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:31 am

Steamerbill,  I see you are from Cypress.  I've been shooting in Houston for a couple of years and haven't seen you there, so I thought I'd make sure you knew we have a monthly 2700 match at Bayou Rifles Addicks Range.  Next match is this coming Sunday 9:00.  Let me know if you want more info.
Lightfoot
Lightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down