Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pros and Cons of Tube type or Heads-Up Type Sights

+4
Wobbley
BE Mike
james r chapman
IT1 Wes
8 posters

Go down

Pros and Cons of Tube type or Heads-Up Type Sights Empty Pros and Cons of Tube type or Heads-Up Type Sights

Post by IT1 Wes Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:27 pm

Generally speaking in regards to Bullseye.

Tube type Sights such as Matchdot or Ultradot.

Heads-Up Type Sights such as C-More. 

Pro: When I use a tube type sight it's difficult to re-acquire the dot. With this head's up type it's easier to do.

Pros and Cons of Tube type or Heads-Up Type Sights C-more-Serendipity-Series

Last edited by IT1 Wes on Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:35 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Edit text.)
IT1 Wes
IT1 Wes

https://bookspublicdomain.com

Back to top Go down

Pros and Cons of Tube type or Heads-Up Type Sights Empty Re: Pros and Cons of Tube type or Heads-Up Type Sights

Post by james r chapman Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:28 pm

Never seen a c-more on a BE gun.
Says a lot by itself
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Pros and Cons of Tube type or Heads-Up Type Sights Empty Re: Pros and Cons of Tube type or Heads-Up Type Sights

Post by BE Mike Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:38 am

You can't go wrong using what the masters and high masters are using, as long as, it is in your budget. Of course, top scores have been shot with iron sights.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:53 am

The problem with the reflex sights for Bullseye is that reacquisition of the dot in sustained fire can be a problem.  They work great on a rifle and are popular with the two handed crowd, but have proven to be difficult for us.  They might be fine on a 22.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:20 am

Tube scopes reduce peripheral vision, panoramic scopes allow much more peripheral vision. Reduced peripheral distraction is good for precision pistol where the shooter and target don't move. Pano scopes are universal in action shooting where it is necessary to shift focus from one target to another and speed is crucial.

Almost all of the pano scopes do not have click adjustments. I think I remember hearing about some that do, but are 1 or 2 MOA, too large for precision pistol. I used an old Docter panoramic sight on a 22 when I started in bullseye. It was really difficult to sight in. Adjustments moved in big jumps so it was trial and error until the sight was on target, then don't touch it ever. It held zero as well as I could as a marksman - sharpshooter back then, but it didn't take long to switch to an Ultra-Dot.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:53 am

Also the dot can be difficult to acquire and maintain during recoil. I've seen 1 guy using the old Docter brand ones but he no longer does.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:00 pm

Recovery and parallax can both be issues, I tried an Ultradot L/T on my M52-2 for a while, used a BME mount, switched to an H1 with BME mount.  For some reason it was just harder for me to keep the dot centered. 
There are 2 other M52 shooters that I shoot with that still use them during winter leagues.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:51 pm

The gun should recover from recoil back to the target with the dot near the center. If it doesn't the problem is not the scope.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:10 pm

I started out using Fastfire III's and liked them well enough. I started with them as I could put one on my brand new pistol without drilling and tapping anything. I got frustrated with the seeming inability to get a real fine zero and also with the mount which was held in place with one set screw...that would only loosen up when I was at an important match. I later got over my squeemishness about altering my guns and moved to tube scopes. I would not even think about switching back.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down