Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trying to find a good scope for a reasonable price

+8
Slartybartfast
zanemoseley
UtahDave
Jack H
jglenn21
Chris Miceli
Wobbley
mikemyers
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Trying to find a good scope for a reasonable price Empty Trying to find a good scope for a reasonable price

Post by mikemyers Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:20 pm

I've asked about this before, but nothing ever worked out.

I would like to buy a spotting scope, useful for 25 and 50 yards, that would preferably come with a clamp-on bracket more or less like this home-made one I photographed this morning.  It should work well for 22, as well as 38 and 45, and if it does those well, I'm sure it will be fine for black powder.

Trying to find a good scope for a reasonable price Img_1017

In the past, I wanted one that could attach to my shooting box, which I never got because even if I could find one that would fit into my tiny Mazda's trunk, that wouldn't leave room for other stuff.  I'm doing find bringing my shooting bag, a box with tools, and a "box" with my gun.  

I need it most for shooting 22, but if it works for that, it will work for/with anything else I shoot.

I don't want to save money by buying junk, but neither do I want to spend hundreds of dollars to buy something a World Champion shooter might want to own.  

If need be, I guess I could settle for a tripod mount, but a clamp on the bench top seems like a better way to mount it for me.  I'll look for a good photo that shows my shooting area.  I don't mind spending more money to get something better, but several hundreds of dollars is way more than I plan to spend.

Oh, and if someone here wants to move up to something better, and sell me your current scope, please let me know.

I'm still using binoculars - adequate, but not very efficient.

Last edited by mikemyers on Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Trying to find a good scope for a reasonable price Empty Re: Trying to find a good scope for a reasonable price

Post by mikemyers Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:21 pm

This photo shows my bench.  It needs to work here:

Trying to find a good scope for a reasonable price Img_1018
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Trying to find a good scope for a reasonable price Empty Re: Trying to find a good scope for a reasonable price

Post by Wobbley Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:25 pm

Here’s a bench clamp stand that might work?

https://www.amazon.com/Opticron-Clamp-incl-PH157QK-Panhead/dp/B01CQWRZYS/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_468_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AEQ7XT4GS8P1ZAAC1GZC&dpID=31cb97DEsvL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:04 pm

whats a reasonable price? also some of the best scopes are tough to see a 22 hole when the target is poorly lit.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:54 pm

Chris Miceli wrote:whats a reasonable price? also some of the best scopes are tough to see a 22 hole when the target is poorly lit.
Well, $750 would be totally unreasonable.
Something in the thousands of dollars is out no matter how good it is.
$75 wouldn't buy anything decent.

Buying stuff that is too cheap is a waste, as it just means buying it again.

Something like this might almost be "reasonable":
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQ52R5E/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&th=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=targettamers-20&linkId=eecbfa55a287f1be3a5e4de69f543e1a

Trying to find a good scope for a reasonable price Regal-M2-16-48x65
Viewing Configuration: Angled
Magnification: 16-48X
Power Variability: Variable
Adjustable Eyepieces: Yes
Eyepiece included: Yes
Objective Diameter: 65 mm
Close Focus Distance: 16.4 feet
Weight: 46.8 ounces
Field of View: 131-68 feet/1000 yards
Eye Relief/Exit Pupil: 20 mm/ 4-1.3 mm
Optics Coatings: Fully Multi-Coated
Glass: BAK4
Focus System: Collar/DualFocus
Waterproof/Fog-proof: Yes/Yes
Digiscope adaptable: Yes

Half that price might be better, but not if the scope isn't good enough.

Added later - went to the range this morning, and shot several targets.  The ones I thought were good, were not.  The two that I thought I made mistakes on were cleared.  I had no real idea of how I was doing until I walked out to examine my targets.....   The only reason the holes are visible below is because I put them on a piece of white paper.   My binoculars are better than nothing, but for shooting 22 they are nearly worthless for me.  And I'm *not* going to use shoot-n-see.  I would like to know where every round goes.  I can accept looking after every 5 rounds.  Sort of.  As things are, I'm not sure what I did until after I shoot 4 targets, then wait until the range is safe.  I'm not complaining - it's still a relaxing way to spend the day, but my binoculars are just plain frustrating.

Trying to find a good scope for a reasonable price Img_1019
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:05 pm

Minox MD 50 for around 200 is a very nice scope.
Its a 16x30

Or find and older bushell off ebay. The old spacemaster is still a great scope and can be had cheap.. i have a 20x and can easily see 22s at the long line
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:01 pm

Champion choice makes a angled eye piece good scope for the price

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:32 pm

Curious, "good for the price" does not necessarily mean it is "good".

This what you're thinking of?

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=itemdetailoptions&item=CC2060

Trying to find a good scope for a reasonable price CC2060_LG
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:51 pm

How does the Kowa TS 501 look at about $300 from CMP.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:03 pm

This isn't the best place to read a review, but what I read so far doesn't sound very exciting:
http://scopeviews.co.uk/KowaTS501.htm

On the positive side, I can buy it from B&H, which means they'll send it to me probably with free shipping, and no sales tax.  

Not sure this would be what I want....
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:13 pm

I went back to the B&H page, and set the following limits:
Price range from $200 to $450
Only scopes that are in stock
Only scopes with a 5-star rating.

I got this list of 75 scopes, sorted by price:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?mxp=450&Ns=p_PRICE_2%7C1&ci=1032&fct=fct_a_filter_by%7c03_INSTOCK%2bprice%7c%5b200.00+TO+450.00%5d%2bfct_customer_rating%7c1_5_stars&origSearch=spotting+scope&srtclk=itemspp&ipp=100&N=4083534116&mnp=200&

If I then limit things to only scopes with an angled eyepiece, I'm down to 25 choices.

For many, many reasons I would prefer to buy from B&H.  Excellent support, a good warranty program, no tax, and maybe free shipping.  I usually buy my cameras and computers from B&H.

Update - if I limit my choices to those with an angled eyepiece, I'm down to 14 choices:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?mxp=450&Ns=p_PRICE_2%7C1&ci=1032&fct=fct_a_filter_by%7c03_INSTOCK%2bfct_customer_rating%7c1_5_stars%2bprice%7c%5b200.00+TO+450.00%5d%2bfct_body-design_256%7cangled&origSearch=spotting+scope&srtclk=itemspp&ipp=100&N=4083534116&mnp=200

I'm getting too sleepy to keep at this much longer; will continue tomorrow.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by UtahDave Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:21 pm

Mike,

I second the Minox 50.  It's a great scope.  I have a very high end Kowa for long range black powder cartridge shooting and Schuetzen at 200 yds. I forgot it one time and the little Minox was great for out to 1100 yards...I wasn't so great:(

I'm not a fan of tripods, I use a bench clamp.  

Dave

UtahDave

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:21 pm

I’d say the kowa ts is the gold standard but it’s not made anymore. Tsn is the new model

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:39 pm

I'll check more tomorrow, but this one seems ideal for me:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/982186-REG/redfield_114651_20_60x80_rampage_angle_spotting.html

Trying to find a good scope for a reasonable price Redfield_114651_20_60x80_rampage_angle_spotting_1372271793000_982186

"I was in the market for a better quality scope that didn't break the bank. Took a chance and finally settled on the Redfied Rampage after much research. I'd recommend this model. Shooting Range and Field Results: 1.At 50 yds its like holding the target in your hand. 2.At 100yds. I was able to read 3/8 lettering on the targets and clearly see 22 LR penetration marks I shot on white background targets. I prefer white targets because bullet holes look black so there is lots of contrast. 3.Looked at targets shot at from a previous shooter at 200 yards and could also see bullet penetration marks in those targets as well. I didn't shoot them so not sure of the caliber but they were clearly visible. 4.Took it on an elk viewing roadtrip in north central PA and was able to count 16 points on a bull at about 150 yds. Way better than binoculars for this event. In summary I'm very satisfied with viewing capabilities of the Rampage and at a reasonable price. In addition: Nice carrying case for scope and tripod. Included tripod is adequate. Scope nylon protective cover looks durable except for the carrying strap buckles. I wouldn't trust them to carry the scope over my shoulder. That's my only con. My 5 star rating is based on the scope not the case or cover."
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:55 am

I read all the reviews of the Redfield.  One of them said "Even though I know Leupold makes the Redfields now, my perception was that the Redfields were every bit as good as the Leupolds."

I think it was around 55 reviews, and 95% of what I read was good.  I guess the focusing knob is tight.  Optically, it got wonderful reviews.  There weren't any problems, other than that I might want to get a better tripod.

I'm pretty sure that in an hour or so, I'll place the order with B&H.  It's far less money than what I was prepared to spend, it's small and light, and it looks ideal for my needs.  I'm not sure if it would work on a gun box, which I don't have (and probably won't until/unless I get a bigger car).  
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:04 am

You realize that's an 80mm spotting scope? 80mm are pretty huge, for some reason it doesn't look that big in their picture. I've got a Celestron 80mm and its very nice but big, I have a Celestron 50mm in my box. You might look over the dimensions to make sure its not larger than you anticipated.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:14 am

Trying to find a good scope for a reasonable price Screen25

Not sure how big the scopes I usually see are, but is 15" long considered too big?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:32 am

UtahDave wrote:Mike,

I second the Minox 50.  It's a great scope.  I have a very high end Kowa for long range black powder cartridge shooting and Schuetzen at 200 yds. I forgot it one time and the little Minox was great for out to 1100 yards...I wasn't so great:(    .....
After reading ALL the reviews here, I think I'm better off with the Redfield:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/524108-USA/Minox_62225_MD_50_W_2_0_50mm.html

I don't do eBay, so I'm not looking there, I don't do the facebook, so I'm not reading anything there, and I'm also remembering that B&H not only has the best prices, if the scope goes on sale later on, they'll give me a refund for the difference.  That, and they're great people to work with.   If things don't work out, I can return it.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:38 am

15" is roughly 2x the length of most scopes people use in a box. I'm sure its a hell of a scope, my Celestron Ultima 80mm is great but no way its fitting in a box, its about 19".

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:44 am

zanemoseley wrote:You realize that's an 80mm spotting scope? 80mm are pretty huge, for some reason it doesn't look that big in their picture. I've got a Celestron 80mm and its very nice but big, I have a Celestron 50mm in my box. You might look over the dimensions to make sure its not larger than you anticipated.
It took forever to find a video showing this thing in use.  Eventually, I found this, but it's more "advertisement" than "review".  Still, it shows the size of the thing better than the web page photos.  For better or worse, it's on order.  I'll get it next Wednesday.  It's returnable if I'm not happy with it.   Thanks for all the advice everyone!

I don't have or use a box, and won't until when/if I replace my tiny Mazda.  Maybe I'll get a new Land Rover Defender....   :-)     Anyway, boxes are available which would fit my Mazda, but then there would be no room for anything else.  I guess a sports car isn't the best for going to/from the range.  Anyway, in the video it doesn't seem overwhelmingly big - if the view is as good as they say, I'll put up with it being a little larger than it could have been.

mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:56 am

UtahDave wrote:.........I'm not a fan of tripods, I use a bench clamp.  .....
Any suggestions on where to buy a good one, with a "tripod screw" head on the top, preferably one that allows the "camera" to be aimed as needed?  
I do know where I can buy a tripod head.
I have no idea where to get a bench clamp.
The photo in the first post in this thread was made by the lady using it.  Seemed quite solid.  That, and my inability to see the holes in the photos I posted, convinced me I needed to get one.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:36 am

mikemyers wrote:
UtahDave wrote:.........I'm not a fan of tripods, I use a bench clamp.  .....
Any suggestions on where to buy a good one, with a "tripod screw" head on the top, preferably one that allows the "camera" to be aimed as needed?  
I do know where I can buy a tripod head.
I have no idea where to get a bench clamp.
The photo in the first post in this thread was made by the lady using it.  Seemed quite solid.  That, and my inability to see the holes in the photos I posted, convinced me I needed to get one.
I've just ordered a Ray-Vin scope stand and bench rest stand.
Ask again in a couple weeks time and I'll be able to tell you how well they work.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:17 pm

For my .02 I think these compact spotting scopes by Burris were one of the best scopes for Bullseye ever made. I have one for every box I own that they will fit in. I said it like that because they are just a tiny bit large for old Pachmyer boxes. Good lens and easy to focus. As long as were all giving opinions. I have seen them sell on Ebay for anywhere between 30.00 and 150.00. They also come in a fixed power model but this model is my choice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Burris-Compact-12x-24x-50mm-Spotting-Scope-With-Case-Nice/132766687454?hash=item1ee982e0de:g:SOIAAOSwQS1bi~xI

Trying to find a good scope for a reasonable price S-l1600
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryWWhite Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:46 pm

+1 on the Redfield Rampage. Sounds like a winner!

GaryWWhite

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:11 pm

I'll post something here when I get it, or better yet, after I use it at the range.  I ought to be able to take a photo through it...   will do that as well.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next