Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modified Springfield Armory RO

4 posters

Go down

Modified Springfield Armory RO Empty Modified Springfield Armory RO

Post by expendable 8/21/2012, 11:59 am

Hello,

I know people have been modifying the Springfield Armory Range Officer into a hardball gun, But I'm not sure how that would look or if it would feel different due to the grip tangs being milled off.
Can anyone post pictures of one modified in this way?
Do you feel a difference in the web of your hand when you shoot it?

Thanks,
Kurt

expendable

Back to top Go down

Modified Springfield Armory RO Empty Re: Modified Springfield Armory RO

Post by DavidR 8/21/2012, 12:45 pm

You dont mill anything off, you simply replace the beavertail grip safety a with a milspec one made to fit and swap the hammer out to a milspec spur hammer. easy change over, the only gunsmithing is having the safety fitted and the hammer prepped. Everything else on the RO is CMP legal, trigger,slide,grips, sights. As to feel, just pick up any standard milspec 1911 and thats what it will look and feel like.

BEFOREModified Springfield Armory RO Ro10AFTER the hammer and safety change will look like this. Modified Springfield Armory RO Sa191110
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by expendable 8/21/2012, 12:59 pm

I guess I Was under the Assumption that the RO had the grip tangs modified/milled at the factory to fit the beavertail grip safety.
What I was asking is how one modified in such a way looks when taken back to the standard grip safety.
I already know what a standard 1911 looks and feels like, but I thought it might be different with shorter grip tangs.

Kurt

expendable

Back to top Go down

Post by scrum derringer 8/21/2012, 1:39 pm

kurt,
you are correct they are cut for a beavertail grip. I have been wondering the same thing as you, as far as how would the old style tang safety look on a beaver tail cut frame. There are no pictures so far that I have seen that would show that, because I am interested in doing the same.
scrum derringer
scrum derringer

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 8/21/2012, 2:04 pm

There is a milspec type safety that is fit to replace in the beavertail cut frame, this gives the best look once its installed.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scrum derringer 8/21/2012, 6:47 pm

Who makes that safety? Also, if it was modified to match up to the radius cut on the frame, would it still be cmp legal?
scrum derringer
scrum derringer

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 8/21/2012, 10:07 pm

My Springfield was a loaded target model. The only differences between an RO and this gun was this one is stainless and had an ambidextrous safety. When Joe Fobes owned it, he converted it to CMP legal by changing the trigger (but I think the 3 hole version that is on the RO is legal) replaced the Ambi Thumb Safety and grip safety to GI style, and put on the Spur hammer.

I shot it in the CMP match by just unbolting the scope rail that had my already set irons underneath. I just filed the rail down so the sights would fit under the rail. Here is what it looks like:

Modified Springfield Armory RO WP_000140

Modified Springfield Armory RO WP_000132

Modified Springfield Armory RO WP_000131
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down