Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NRA Classification

4 posters

Go down

NRA Classification Empty NRA Classification

Post by BE Mike Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:35 pm

Does a competitor's classification in conventional pistol expire after 3 years (expert and below) if the competitor doesn't shoot in conventional pistol, but shoots in NRA tournaments in another pistol discipline, say Air Pistol?

As a related subject, I know that if a competitor has an NRA classification in one pistol discipline, i.e. air pistol, he or she can enter his or her initial match in another NRA pistol tournament, i.e. free pistol, using that air pistol classification, instead of entering as an unclassified master.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

NRA Classification Empty Re: NRA Classification

Post by Dave C. Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:10 pm

Expert and beloww 3 years.

Master 5years.

High master?

I lost my indoor Master card twice.

Good health and good shooting.
Dave C.
Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:58 pm

An interesting question. It does say "in NRA competition" rather than in Conventional NRA competition. I can't say for sure that activity in other disciplines keeps Conventional current, nor vice versa, but I've never had any of mine expire. I have gone for quite a while between competition in some of the disciplines, but maybe it wasn't three years. As for your second statement, there is a structured order to the list in case you have multiple classifications.

The obsolete classification and assigned classification sections are copied below. From the rule book, electronically available here, (in .pdf format):

19.9 Obsolete Classification and Scores - All classifications and scores (including temporary, Rule 19.14) except Master, shall become obsolete if the competitor does not fire in NRA competition at least once during 3 successive calendar years. Master classifications and scores shall become obsolete if the competitor does not fire in NRA competition at least once during 5 successive calendar years. Lifetime Master classifications will not become obsolete.

and:

19.6 Assigned Classification - A competitor who has an earned classification (a classification obtained through a Score Record Book or an Official NRA Classification Card) for one type of competition in the grouping listed below will be assigned this same classification in any other type in which the competitor is not classified in the same group:

(a) Outdoor Pistol
(b) Indoor Pistol
(c) Police Combat
(d) Action Pistol
(e) International Pistol (Free, Air, Center, Rapid Fire or Standard)

If a competitor has a classification in more than one type in the list, the higher classification shall be used. In the second tournament in the new type, the Score Record Book is used rather than the assigned classification.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Teams
Things of Interest to Bullseye (and International) Competitors

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:42 pm

the NRA is known for dragging their feet or just plan neglect. I was injured in 2006 and had to stop shooting. I did not shoot a NRA or anything else at all. I started back in 2011, sure that i would have to start all over, only to find when i plugged my number into the NRA classification look up that even though 5.5 years had passed i was still classified as expert. I know of many others who still retain their class after many years of not shooting. So rule 19.9 is really nothing you can count on.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:14 pm

Keep in mind that it says "calendar years." So you could stop shooting in January 2006 and then fire in December of 2011 without being five "calendar years" apart.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Teams

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:59 pm

I promptly got this reply from the NRA:

Mike;

Rule
19.9, which deals with obsolete classifications, applies to each
individual discipline. If you are inactive for 3 or more years (5 years
if you hold a Master classification) in one discipline that discipline
is purged. It does not affect other disciplines in which you are active.

NRA Competitions
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:50 pm

Ed Hall wrote:Keep in mind that it says "calendar years." So you could stop shooting in January 2006 and then fire in December of 2011 without being five "calendar years" apart.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Teams

True but being a expert, my time elapsed over 2 years with no action on their part.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down