Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NRA re-classification

+6
CR10X
TonyH
Asa Yam
james r chapman
BHeintz
LenV
10 posters

Go down

NRA re-classification Empty NRA re-classification

Post by Guest Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:42 pm

Well done to Zane on making Master - and, more importantly, getting a classification card from the NRA to prove it!

Does anyone have any info on how long after the match where one believes a re-classification is triggered before the NRA send out a card?

In the case of Sean Bell and myself we both "hit the number", as far as we know, at the Oregon Regional on September 19, 2020. Nothing in the mail for me as yet. Having just shot the WA State match as an Expert and, this coming weekend, the OR State match, there are a couple of other Experts that must be a bit cross that I am stealing their thunder Embarassed Embarassed 

I am definitely not intending to sandbag, but, AFAIK, the rules state that one's classification does not change till a card is received?

Back to top Go down

NRA re-classification Empty Re: NRA re-classification

Post by LenV Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:12 pm

Why would I care if you shoot in the Expert class? All (most) the match winners for the last couple of years have come out of Expert here. I could possibly win the Master class if you and Sean don't get your cards. What sounds better. "Winning the Master class" Or "Match winner"? All in good humor of course. Seriously though anyone at anytime can choose to shoot in the Master class. You do not have to wait for a card. Military shooters do it all the time. You may not elect to shoot High Master without a card but Master is no problem. Just request it.
LenV
LenV

Jon Eulette likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BHeintz Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:44 am

I haven't received a classification card since 2014, never have got a outdoor card. I have .22 only, and regular classifications indoors and outdoors. Should have got at least two more cards.But all of my classifications show up, if I use the online NRA classification look up on their website.

BHeintz

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:10 am

Cards are usually just a phone call away!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Asa Yam Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:12 am

radjag wrote:I am definitely not intending to sandbag, but, AFAIK, the rules state that one's classification does not change till a card is received?
Not quite.  

First, there is an "effective as of" date on your card.  This means you do not have to shoot under your classification card until that date.

Second, LenV has noted you may voluntarily compete in any higher classification (other than high Master).  The actual text is:
From the 2020 NRA Precision Pistol Rulebook, Rule 19.8 wrote:19.8 Competing In a Higher Class - Any individual or team may elect, before firing, to compete in a higher classification, except the classification of High Master, than the one in which classified. Such individual or team must fire in such higher class throughout the tournament and may not revert to earned classification for any event in that tournament. When there are insufficient entries in any class to warrant an award in that class according to the match program conditions, the individual or team concerned may be moved by the Tournament Match Director to a higher class provided this change is made prior to the individual or team concerned having commenced firing in the tournament.

Asa Yam

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:41 am

Roy,
Congrats on making Master! Well done!
Have you checked the NRA Competitors dashboard online to see if the NRA updated your classification there yet? Typically, they get that done once the scores are recorded and then send the card in the mail later...took about six-eight weeks or so for me this year....but nothing is normal this year, so it's a roll of the dice, I think.
Here's the link:
https://competitor.nra.org/Home.aspx
Tony
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:43 am

Go on line and check out your classification and record scores.  (takes a little research to navigate the NRA site to find it though). 
If things are all in order, there may even be a update to your classification on line prior to getting a card.  

Some people may not get classifications or cards in a timely manner due to submitting under slightly different names, name / address changes, etc. (if no NRA number).  Of if they have had different NRA numbers for yearly / non life members.  No system is perfect.  (I had one shooter that used a couple of different names (Richard and Dick are not the same person to data entry people) and moved and had no NRA number and I had to resubmit / confirm some match results.)

Confirm that the scores have been sent in with the Match Director if you do not see them.

If they have been sent in, call the NRA and discuss with the nice person there.

Eventually, you will get a card.

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:26 am

NRA classification updating takes time. In my experience, the card is more for you than the match director. I have never been required to show a classification card at matches.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:23 am

TonyH & CR10X,

Thanks, the link works perfectly. Yay!

COVID interrupted the 2020 season, then lots of "shoulda, woulda, coulda" moments, so it took a bit longer than I hoped. My first Bullseye match was on 25 March 2019. Been teetering on 94%'ish since last fall. Got it done now though. 2600 is the next match target.

CLASSIFICATION - INDOOR PRECISION PISTOL - 22 ONLY - MASTER 1/27/2020
CLASSIFICATION - OUTDOOR PRECISION PISTOL - MASTER 10/26/2020

And I must thank Roddy Toyota for being such a great gunsmith and mentor. Roddy is "Mr. Bullseye" here in Oregon, runs great matches, builds great guns and is an all round great guy. Thanks.

But, please, all of you out there, do not ask Roddy to do any new work till after he finishes my new wad gun Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:46 pm

My new card arrived in the mail today - effective 26 October 2020.

The second score which met the 95% threshold was shot on 19 September 2020, so roughly a one month time lag from hitting the number to the effective date.

All good.

Back to top Go down

Post by dapduh2 Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:52 am

Congrats. I’m in the same boat. I’m still rated as expert by the NRA and have shot a couple higher scores the last few weeks. I elected to shoot in Master this last weekend because I’m still waiting on scores to populate. I actually think I’ll skip master and get a HM card if they process scores in the correct order by date shot and not by when they are received.
dapduh2
dapduh2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike38 Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:40 am

I shoot a lot, but not a lot of 'official' matches. In the last year I've only fired 1350 rounds in actual matches. Also in the last year, my classification and competitor activity have not been updated on the NRA Competitions web site. The last update on my competitor activity is 12/8/2019. I have the shots to make an upward move in classification, but the NRA hasn't updated anything. They blame short staffed due to Covid. Oh well, someday.
Mike38
Mike38

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:47 pm

Well done Roy! And in record time too!
Congratulations!!
Still enjoying the Model 52-2!
jwax
jwax

Back to top Go down