Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marvel Conversion questions

+4
TonyH
DA/SA
jglenn21
toddcfii
8 posters

Go down

Marvel Conversion questions Empty Marvel Conversion questions

Post by toddcfii 1/20/2019, 6:06 pm

So I ended up with two Marvel conversions. One is an older one with the fabric Marvel case and all the original equipment, sight rail, one metal magazine. The other I bought off this forum and it has a sight rail, no magazine, no case but has a threaded barrel with no thread protector or compensator and no takedown tool. Both are the no lock back type. 

My questions are:

1. What is the best place to get cheap but quality magazines?  I was hoping for metal but could be talked into plastic. Also how do I know they are non lock back type?  I heard using the wrong type can damage your conversion. 

2.  I generally like a heavy muzzled pistol. Has anyone put a threaded comp on their Marvel and do they like the results?  Nelson sells them as well as just muzzle weights. But YHM makes a threaded 22 muzzle brake for cheaper. Would that be worth a try?  Or should I just start with a thread protector and see how that goes for a while?  I see those for sale for about $10.

3.  I want to get a takedown tool. Are the Marvel and Nelson the same?

Thanks in advance. 

Todd
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

Marvel Conversion questions Empty Re: Marvel Conversion questions

Post by jglenn21 1/21/2019, 4:19 am

Cheap but quality... hmmmm

these are sort of metal

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/gsg-m-1911-22-lr-magazine-10-rounds-black-germm1911-813393012655.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=119456

they work pretty well.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by toddcfii 1/21/2019, 4:22 am

jglenn21 wrote:Cheap but quality... hmmmm

these are sort of metal

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/gsg-m-1911-22-lr-magazine-10-rounds-black-germm1911-813393012655.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=119456

they work pretty well.

Well Quality at the Cheapest Price possible.  Are those non lock back?
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 1/21/2019, 4:27 am

my marvel is a non lock back so not sure if they would. They will in a Nelson
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 1/21/2019, 4:49 am

I just got two of the GSG here. (cheaper than above)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-ATI-GSG-1911-922-22LR-10-Round-Magazines-GERMM1911-FACTORY-NEW-FAST-SHIP/232042842098?epid=10003304843&hash=item3606d4c7f2:g:rd4AAOSwq4VbSu9g:rk:45🇵🇫0

They deem to work fine with my marvel no lock back.

I tried a plastic magazine from Brownells that looked to be identical to the one that came with my marvel and stated specifically that it worked with a Marvel, but it turned my Marvel into a jam-O-matic, so I sent it back.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 1/21/2019, 4:55 am

The GSG mags a lot cheaper here:
https://gunmagwarehouse.com/ati-german-sport-guns-gsg-m-1911-22-lr-10-round-magazine.html
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 1/21/2019, 2:26 pm

toddcfii wrote:So I ended up with two Marvel conversions. One is an older one with the fabric Marvel case and all the original equipment, sight rail, one metal magazine. The other I bought off this forum and it has a sight rail, no magazine, no case but has a threaded barrel with no thread protector or compensator and no takedown tool. Both are the no lock back type. 

My questions are:

1. What is the best place to get cheap but quality magazines?  I was hoping for metal but could be talked into plastic. Also how do I know they are non lock back type?  I heard using the wrong type can damage your conversion. 

2.  I generally like a heavy muzzled pistol. Has anyone put a threaded comp on their Marvel and do they like the results?  Nelson sells them as well as just muzzle weights. But YHM makes a threaded 22 muzzle brake for cheaper. Would that be worth a try?  Or should I just start with a thread protector and see how that goes for a while?  I see those for sale for about $10.

Thanks in advance. 

Todd
For accesories like take down tool,recoil springs,etc,go www.fcwguns.com
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by brassmaster 1/22/2019, 3:58 am

toddcfii wrote:So I ended up with two Marvel conversions. One is an older one with the fabric Marvel case and all the original equipment, sight rail, one metal magazine. The other I bought off this forum and it has a sight rail, no magazine, no case but has a threaded barrel with no thread protector or compensator and no takedown tool. Both are the no lock back type. 

My questions are:

Thanks in advance. 

Todd

I have a Marvel non-lock back model too, purchased it new and it came with one German composite magazine. A friend with a Marvel told me to try a Kimber .22 Conversion Magazine as he had been using them for several years and they worked flawlessly. When I returned home from Camp Perry I order two of them from Midway and they worked fine, so I bought eight more. Although they are plastic, I have been using them for five years, work flawlessly.
brassmaster
brassmaster

http://www.whitehorsecenter.org, click on Brassmasters

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs 1/22/2019, 5:43 am

I have a marvel and nelson, use plastic mags with both. Gsg mags are ok, but just strainge for me. old metal mags are fine when adjusted, but are fragile. I have two that I haven't thown away yet...

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by Art 1/23/2019, 4:43 am

I have two of the early Marvel Precision Unit 1’s non-lock back, one runs perfect on the Colt marked steel mags, the other on a different frame runs flawlessly on the Advantage Arms plastic- I ground off the follower part that lifts the slide holder opener.
Here
http://www.advantagearms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AASOS&Product_Code=1911Mag&Category_Code=1911Mag

My friends lock back Marvel and my same unit 1 run perfect with the AA plastic mags,

The steel Colt marked mags needed lip work before they were reliable. I had one perfect one and duplicated the lips on 3 more.

Art

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 1/23/2019, 5:08 am

The great thing about the colt magazine is you can do.some interesting things to.make rounds almost feed perfectly with little or no bullet deformation. They are.pricey though
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 1/23/2019, 1:49 pm

jglenn21 wrote:The great thing about the colt magazine is you can do.some interesting things to.make rounds almost feed perfectly with little or no bullet deformation. They are.pricey though
+1 for colt mags.
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by Art 1/24/2019, 4:39 am

I couldn’t get Colt marked steel mags to work in one of my frames until I put an EGW Mag release that holds the mag about .025” higher. Helps get that straight feed into the chamber with some frames. It also ensures the slide feeds the round from the mag.
I also prefer the steel mags once tuned and the ones I have have been durable, needing no tuning.

Art

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down