Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VihtaVuori and Dillon Powder Bars

+4
tray999
Jwhelan939
Wobbley
230Ball
8 posters

Go down

VihtaVuori and Dillon Powder Bars Empty VihtaVuori and Dillon Powder Bars

Post by 230Ball 1/26/2019, 7:05 pm

Considering VV N330 for 9mm match loads, but have read where standard Dillon powder bars may have a problem with it.  Any suggestions on tuning the Dillon bar, or are most adapting other powder measures to their Dillon (XL650) presses?
230Ball
230Ball

Back to top Go down

VihtaVuori and Dillon Powder Bars Empty Re: VihtaVuori and Dillon Powder Bars

Post by Wobbley 1/26/2019, 7:30 pm

Most of the rifle guys use a Hornady or RCBS Powder Measure with a case activation linkage.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 230Ball 1/26/2019, 9:40 pm

Thanks!  That's interesting in a way. I was on the fence between a Hornady LNL and Dillon XL650.  I ended up with the Dillon, but if I stick with VV powders, I may have to use a Hornady powder measure.  No regrets regarding the Dillon... just kind of funny.
230Ball
230Ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 1/26/2019, 9:50 pm

I use a Dillon with 310, but I have the Arredondo bar. Works better than both my Hornady and standard Dillon bar did.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by tray999 1/26/2019, 9:54 pm

Jwhelan939 wrote:I use a Dillon with 310, but I have the Arredondo bar. Works better than both my Hornady and standard Dillon bar did.

Same here....
tray999
tray999

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 1/26/2019, 10:23 pm

I have two 550s, I load vv310 for 32 long and acp. One machine has the Dillon bar, the other has a new Arredondo. The Arredondo leaks a very minor amount of powder ( the 310 is pretty fine), the Dillon doesn’t leak at all. When loading 1.4 g, I don’t get much variance among charges, occasional 1.35 or 1.45.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by 230Ball 1/27/2019, 9:35 am

The Arrendondo appears to be the way to go, and much less expensive than a complete RCBS or Hornady powder measure.
230Ball
230Ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 1/27/2019, 10:13 am

Greg, when you got the Arredondo did you size it to fit? Or put it in tight and let it wear in?

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by spyer40 1/27/2019, 10:33 am

I've been having a little issue with VV powders also (N310 and N340).  Took the suggestions and polished the metal funnel part of the powder dispenser to a mirror finish with a dremel and Simichrome along with inside of powder bar then put a few coats of wax on it all.  Moved to a PTX powder funnel from a member here and while pretty polished I also touched it up with a cratex bit in the tube part.  Added a Uniquetek powder baffle which I also polished.  Basically anything that touched powder is polished and waxed so it flows easily.  Also bought some Novus antistatic polish and use it on the clear plastic part.  Suggested to put a ground wire on the powder drop but haven't gone there...yet.  Still get a little variance but seems to be within a tenth of a grain.  On the N310 4.18-4.26 now from my initial start and spot checking.  N340 seems to be in the same range of a tenth of a grain.

spyer40

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 1/27/2019, 11:13 am

Jwhelan939 wrote:Greg, when you got the Arredondo did you size it to fit? Or put it in tight and let it wear in?
 I put in tight, After i noticed the slight leaking I call Uniquwtek who indicated I could maybe try a different tool head. I tried a bunch of combinations of tool heads, which helped a little, finally gave up. There is a very interesting article from a guy who did a biunch of testing and comparing,of Dillon and Arredondo, and concluded Dillon slightly more accurate?  In any case, I personally wouldn’t buy one again unless I was having some type problem with the Dillon parts, which in my case I don’t.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot 1/27/2019, 11:32 am

I compared the X Small Dillon powder bar and the Arredondo.  Both had the UniqueTek micrometer installed.  I found that the Dillon powder bar was just slightly more consistent.  i.e. I did not find that the Arredondo was better at charge weight accuracy or consistency.  My comparison used both VV 310 and Power Pistol.  I have no experience with VV 330.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 1/27/2019, 5:14 pm

joy2shoot wrote:I compared the X Small Dillon powder bar and the Arredondo.  Both had the UniqueTek micrometer installed.  I found that the Dillon powder bar was just slightly more consistent.  i.e. I did not find that the Arredondo was better at charge weight accuracy or consistency.  My comparison used both VV 310 and Power Pistol.  I have no experience with VV 330.
Just to clarify, I also have the Uniquetek micrometer on both 550s. 

Attached is a very detail comparo on Dillon v Arredondo  (v RCB) for reloading 32.  This is “take2”, which he did to confirm “take1”.  His results conclude both are good, Dillon slightly more consistent. I don’t know the testor, this merely confirmed my very limited experience. It’s well worth watching.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded_uturn&v=VSJ82CY07tA

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by 230Ball 1/27/2019, 8:14 pm

Greg,
Thanks for passing along the video.  I have hand-loaded many years ago using fine powders, but the progressive loader world and its nuances is new to me.  For the time being I will stick with the Dillon bar and see what happens.  If things go awry, there are plenty of COAs here to adjust fire!
230Ball
230Ball

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 1/27/2019, 9:29 pm

I use a Dillon 550 and load VV310. I have had zero issues with it. No leaks, no measure variance, nothing.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down