Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dillon Small vs Extra Small Powder Bars

5 posters

Go down

Dillon Small vs Extra Small Powder Bars Empty Dillon Small vs Extra Small Powder Bars

Post by Soupy44 Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:15 pm

I was making test loads for my 38 special revolver. 2.8-3.2gr of BE and 3.3-3.7gr of Titegroup. I was OCD about it and was trickling each drop up to its target powder charge. 

I noticed the throws at 3.3 and under had a lot more variability than over that. Measuring 3.5-3.7 it was right on most of the time, or about 0.1gr light. Below 3.3 this happened more often. 2.8-3gr I often got some 0.2gr light.

Is the XS powder bar a good fix for this? What I read online had mixed reviews. I can also polish the surfaces if folks think that will help.

Or am I too OCD over this variability?

Thanks.

Soupy44

Back to top Go down

Dillon Small vs Extra Small Powder Bars Empty Re: Dillon Small vs Extra Small Powder Bars

Post by CR10X Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:39 pm

Maybe,  but I got improvement adding 2 wavey washers instead of one on the adjustment bolt.   Some used powder measures are missing even 1, which creates a lot of variance.  Additionally I drill and tap for a set screw to hold the adjustment slide in place once I get the setting I want.

CR10X

MikeGibbs likes this post

Back to top Go down

Dillon Small vs Extra Small Powder Bars Empty Re: Dillon Small vs Extra Small Powder Bars

Post by PhotoEscape Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:06 pm

Issue comes from backlash between poor quality threads on Dillon's OEM bolts and better quality threads on powder bar inserts.  Replacing adjuster bolts with aftermarket ones (i.e. mine) would help address it.  Regardless of that, drilling and tapping bar for set screw is a good way to go.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Al likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:14 am

Get one of these... not cheap,  but worth it

https://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1231

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by Soupy44 Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:58 pm

Not sure I'm experiencing drift. There was certainly a pattern of correct drops, though I was only loading 18 per target weight. Over 3.3 and even the ones that are 0.1gr under I felt like I trickled 5-6 granules in and it tipped up to the right weight.

Under 3.3, and I felt like it would be something like:

3.0, 3.0, 2.8, 3.0, 2.8, 2.9, 3.0, 2.8, 3.0, 2.8, 3.0, 3.0, 2.8

Makes me feel like it's more about a tall, narrow cavity it's falling into not filling efficiently (there has to be a better way to say that). Figuring a wide, shallow cavity would fill more consistently. Let me know if I'm missing something.

I read the XS bar is for 3.0 and under. Also curious if that's a hard 3.0 or can it go a bit above. Want to know if I'll have to change the bar if I end up with a light short line and hotter long line load.

Making revolver loads, figure three in each cylinder will give me a good idea for each drop and for both bullets I'm testing. What a pain measuring each load for 360 rounds!  And I'll be testing cylinders at the LL after this! Yes, I know I should be dry firing...

Soupy44

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:31 pm

Whether or not the x-small bar can meter over 3.0gr depends very much on the powder. The powder measure is volumetric and different powders can have significantly different amount of volume per weight.

That said, I do use the x-small bar to meter 3.2gr of VV N320 with success within about 5 hundredths of a grain.
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down