Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Switching out 22 conversion slide between matches

5 posters

Go down

Switching out 22 conversion slide between matches Empty Switching out 22 conversion slide between matches

Post by SmoothBore870 Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:55 pm

I have shot Service Pistol at Perry for a few years. This year I will shoot 22 EIC also on Saturday.  Should I try and switch out my slide for my hardball gun after the Rapids? 

Is there a good place for me to open my pistol box other than back at my truck in between matches. I would really prefer to stay under the canopy and relax without having to walk back. And I have never really noticed anyone opening pistol boxes while behind the Tower.

SmoothBore870

Back to top Go down

Switching out 22 conversion slide between matches Empty Re: Switching out 22 conversion slide between matches

Post by JKR Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:09 am

Probably not the optimum situation but I've seen it done during the prep. I've also seen the recoil spring plug launched during such a switch over. Everything moves quickly at Perry as you know. Will your conversion work with the heavy mainspring on your service pistol?

JKR

Back to top Go down

Switching out 22 conversion slide between matches Empty Re: Switching out 22 conversion slide between matches

Post by dronning Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:48 am

One thing that will help is using a 1 or 2 piece full length guide rod.  Then you basically just remove the slide stop and the slide, guide rod, recoil spring and plug stay together as a unit - no accidental spring plug launches.

+1 on getting the mainspring weight right.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:47 am

You will have plenty of time.  I doubt you will be on the last relay for .22 and first relay for EIC.  In any event, they will generally be way behind schedule and take lots of time to get the EIC match started.  Don't sweat it. 

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:26 pm

+1 on don't sweat it.

Plenty of time to change over. I switch over in my current indoor winter league and I can change over if there is an alibi in rapid fire.

If you move briskly, you can do the changeover before the line is made safe. If you aren't confident, just make sure the range officer knows you are changing the gun over. Unless you are really slow, they will give you the time you need.
Founder
Founder

https://www.bullseyeforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by SmoothBore870 Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:50 pm

Thanks everyone. For the first few hundred rounds of CCI SV I have not had any failures with my regular EIC setup. I hadn't thought about switching over to a full length guide rod.  I take the top end off as a unit now when I switch at home in the basement, but just have to be really careful to not launch the spring plug into orbit. I will swith over guide rods which should make it much easier to do quickly and with less chance of "mass separation". I was just pretty sure that opening a gun box under the tents would probably be frowned upon.

SmoothBore870

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down