Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

22 ammo question

+4
TonyH
kidneyboy
desben
markgrabowski
8 posters

Go down

22 ammo question  Empty 22 ammo question

Post by markgrabowski 3/13/2019, 9:34 pm

Ok, quick question. How important is it to use 22 ammo labeled pistol vs traditional 22? I’ve only used traditional stuff like Wolf Match Extra or Federal match. Any difference in performance or recoil?

markgrabowski

Back to top Go down

22 ammo question  Empty Re: 22 ammo question

Post by desben 3/13/2019, 9:55 pm

It's not important. If what you're using is accurate and RELIABLE, keep that.

Sometimes, what's labeled "pistol" may be different, but not necessarily better. You have to find what works best for you and your gun.
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by markgrabowski 3/14/2019, 4:22 am

Does “pistol “ ammo shoot any softer?

markgrabowski

Back to top Go down

Post by kidneyboy 3/14/2019, 5:45 am

markgrabowski wrote:Does “pistol “ ammo shoot any softer?
No. 
Standard velocity shoots softer than high velocity. Otherwise it's not important what the box says, it's what runs the best in your particular gun.

kidneyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 3/14/2019, 6:21 am

Does “pistol “ ammo shoot any softer?
This depends on the manufacturer and the easiest way to know is to look up the published specifications for the ammunition you are using. Below are a couple of examples, one from CCI and one from SK. If you look at CCI, only the mini-mag shows a higher velocity for a 40 grn. projectile. For SK, the published velocities are different depending on the type of ammunition you pick. Like the posters said above, find ammunition that works reliably and is accurate in your pistol and have at it. If using HV ammo in a 22 semi-auto, the weight of the recoil spring probably should be higher to prevent battering of the slide. In the end, experiment a bit to find the correct combination of reliability and accuracy, then work on your fundamentals (way more important than the type of ammo you shoot).
22 ammo question  Cci10
22 ammo question  Sk10
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by desben 3/14/2019, 7:59 am

You have to be careful when looking at the numbers in these charts. For example, SK Pistol Match Special is 955 fps, whereas Standard Plus is 1073 fps. So you may expect Pistol Match Special to be a lower recoil version, when in fact it is the opposite. SK Pistol Match Special is loaded slightly hotter to provide sure functioning in fussy pistols. The lower velocity comes from the shorter barrel used for testing (5.9") vs Standard Plus which is tested in a rifle (26").

I can't tell the difference between SK Standard Plus and Pistol Match, except in price. They shoot and feel the same. In the end, I went with the cheaper one.
22 ammo question  15263382356_15c022bca0

Experimentation in your pistol is key. Find something that you like and then shoot a bunch. Don't sweat it.
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 3/14/2019, 8:21 am

22 ammo question  3064385617 True dat. Look at charts carefully and compare apples to apples. If important, chronograph ammo out of your pistol.
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by David R 3/14/2019, 10:11 am

It also depends on what you are shooting it from.  

High Standard recommends only Standard Velocity for their pistols. 

What are you shooting?
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 3/14/2019, 10:29 am

desben wrote:You have to be careful when looking at the numbers in these charts. For example, SK Pistol Match Special is 955 fps, whereas Standard Plus is 1073 fps. So you may expect Pistol Match Special to be a lower recoil version, when in fact it is the opposite. SK Pistol Match Special is loaded slightly hotter to provide sure functioning in fussy pistols. The lower velocity comes from the shorter barrel used for testing (5.9") vs Standard Plus which is tested in a rifle (26").
Just an FYI .22LR velocity reaches peak at 16-17 inches, and is slowed by barrels longer than this length.  CF rifles the load can be with fast or slow powders.  Slower powders will accelerate longer but there is always an optimal length.
- Dave
I found this out the hard way when I built a 10/22 with a 28" Green Mountain barrel and could never get it to shoot well even after re-crowning, twice.  After doing some chrono work I had it cut down to 18" and it was dead accurate.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by SMBeyer 3/14/2019, 7:45 pm

From the SK Rep. at Camp Perry "Wolf Match Target, Wolf Match Extra, SK Rifle Match, SK Standard Plus, SK Pistol Match and sometimes SK Magazine (if there was enough rejected aforementioned ammo to fill the need) is all the exact same ammo."
SMBeyer
SMBeyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 3/15/2019, 12:38 pm

SMBeyer wrote:From the SK Rep. at Camp Perry "Wolf Match Target, Wolf Match Extra, SK Rifle Match, SK Standard Plus, SK Pistol Match and sometimes SK Magazine (if there was enough rejected aforementioned ammo to fill the need) is all the exact same ammo."
You have to assume that whatever is at the bottom was originally meant to be something of a higher quality.   That's why I buy Magazine instead of STD+.  My targets don't seem to show a difference between it and STD+ - but my wallet does.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down