Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone use a bulletfeeder on a Dillon Super 1050

5 posters

Go down

Anyone use a bulletfeeder on a Dillon Super 1050 Empty Anyone use a bulletfeeder on a Dillon Super 1050

Post by New2BE 3/17/2019, 12:20 pm

Up to now I’ve been a little reluctant to use a bulletfeeder on my Super 1050 because I didn’t want to give up the powder checker station. I am pleased to report that I’ve had no issues with squibs and my measures are surprisingly accurate after many thousands of rounds. I used the powder checker die as extra insurance to provide a quick visual reference that everything was a-ok. As a side note-I don’t use the audible alarms on the Dillons as i am not going super  fast and quite frankly, they are annoying. 

So as an experiment, I am in the process of hooking up a 4 inch Tft monitor to a small back up camera which will provide real time images of the charged case.  By doing so, it’ll fee up the powder die checker station thus allowing for a bullet feeder. (I am also thinking of adding a second camera to observe each what’s going on in the shell feeder bowl.) I am confident this modification will work out to be a great visual aide to confirm positive powder charge.

So with all that being said, anyone use a bullet feeder and if so, any likes/dislikes? Which works the best? How do they work with lead bullets? I plan on dedicating this to the machine with durability and functionality being the most important considerations.

Inquiring minds need to know. Any constructive input is most appreciated.

Thanks in advance. As always, good shooting to you!

New2BE

Back to top Go down

Anyone use a bulletfeeder on a Dillon Super 1050 Empty Re: Anyone use a bulletfeeder on a Dillon Super 1050

Post by 310yuma 3/17/2019, 2:49 pm

I can't imagine not using a bullet feeder on a 1050
I have been using a Mr bullet  feeder for some time and works great.l  have been loading only  9mm on it and it works well with 115 thru 147 gr bullets.  I use only fmj or coated bullets.  I don't think it would work well with  bare bullets.  I stopped using them years ago due to the wax buildup in the dies. On another machine l have been using  45 cal 200gr  Blue Bullets with great  results, very  accurate, low smoke, and the price is right

310yuma

Back to top Go down

Anyone use a bulletfeeder on a Dillon Super 1050 Empty Re: Anyone use a bulletfeeder on a Dillon Super 1050

Post by dronning 3/17/2019, 4:02 pm

My 1050 is currently 100% dedicated to 45acp loads.  I use a MrBulletFeeder on all FMJ/JHP loads.  The wax on the lead bullets would gum it up so I switched to the MBF Mini for lead - see pic.  I have thought about going to coated lead but I have about 5K to work through first.
- Dave

MrBulletFedder Mini

Anyone use a bulletfeeder on a Dillon Super 1050 MiniBF5

Last edited by dronning on 3/18/2019, 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 3/18/2019, 9:30 am

Have two 1050's, with MR bullet feeders on both.

One is set up for SP the other LP. I run the bullet feeder all the time with the SP set which I load 9mm, 38 spl and 38 super. All bullets are either 120 coated or 115 JHP and they work very well, with one setting. Not 100%, but I am sure it would be if I made all adjustments for one bullet.

The other I load only .45 ACP, but I use three different bullets. One is coated, one jacketed and one is lead. Again, one adjustment, which is not ideal for multiple bullets. I use the Mr bullet feeder for the coated and the JHP bullets. However, when I load the lead bullets, I disconnect the spring tube/switch dudad at the dropper tube. The tube will hold 5 or six bullets. I manually drop the bullets in that tube as I am loading. Since I start with the tube full, then I don't have to place a bullet every time. This way the hopper doesn't get lead or lube in it, neither does the spring chute. You still get some build up in the actual dropper using lead/lubed bullets. As we know they are a pain cleaning because of those 3 ball bearings.

Do over? I rarely load more than 300 rds at a loading session. I have over $900 tied up in these two bullet feeders. If I had it to do over again, I would just buy the dropper tubes and simply drop the bullets into those and let those drop and set the bullets onto the brass.

My .02
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 3/18/2019, 2:54 pm

Funny, I wanted a MBF but could not justify the cost.  After tons of reading I ended up buying a 3D printer and made my own!  Half the price and that includes the printer.  I’ve made 2 so far one for my Dillon and one for my star sizer.  Best money I’ve ever spent.  You can tweak the bullet plates, flipper etc for different bullets.  Wax/lead is still a choir because of the wax gums things up pretty good after awhile.

Something to look into.  It’s amazing the things you can print to make your reloading experience better.  I’ve made stands to hold all my Dillon tool heads etc.  I’m talking pennies to make something.  The printer I got was a Creality Ender 3. So simple to build and use.  I was up and printing in an hour.
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by New2BE 3/18/2019, 7:34 pm

The mini MBF looks the way to go for lead on 38 and 45, full of MBF for 9mm. Thank you for input and comments.

New2BE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down