Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post back injury advice

+3
Jack H
dronning
dapduh2
7 posters

Go down

Post back injury advice Empty Post back injury advice

Post by dapduh2 Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:58 pm

Finally started seeing some great improvement. Then earlier this week I sustained a lower back injury at work. MRI is Tuesday but they believe it’s an annular tear of a disc? It is extremely painful in certain positions. My normal position I can’t make work. Anybody have a prior experience with this and any recommendations on adjustments?

I was at about 90 degrees to target, leaning slightly back. Now with some dry fire I’m at about 80 degrees and more so standing tall with less offset. Still more wobble than before. Any suggestions would be appreciated
dapduh2
dapduh2

Back to top Go down

Post back injury advice Empty Re: Post back injury advice

Post by dronning Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:37 pm

Coming from someone that has gone through major back surgery all I can say is don't push it.  You could end up doing additional damage - it's just not worth it.  Certainly wait until you have had an MRI.

My issue began in '72 from an accident racing snowmobiles and was diagnosed as an annular tear, bed rest for 3 weeks.  It calcified over the next 10 years which began to push on my spinal cord creating a need for a decompression by removing the calcification.  My surgery was in '82 and I've had no issues since.

Do the exercises.  Good luck.
- Dave

obviously diagnosis and treatments have come a long way since then.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by dapduh2 Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:42 pm

So far, as long as I don’t push it, standing and moving feels better than sitting/ laying/ being stationary. Gives me hope. But I am definitely not going to overdue it. Thanks for the insight
dapduh2
dapduh2

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:40 pm

It's funny how the little bit of weight on the end of your outstretched arm can transfer to the lumbar and torque it into painful aches. 
That's me after surgery and more disk problems. 
Very careful and specific core strengthening, and position awareness are very important.  Also prepare by careful stretching.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:27 pm

Good advice from the guys here, don't push it right now until you are properly checked out and a MRI is the best. I blew out 2 lumbar disc about 4 years apart. I never really felt it on the first one, but the 2nd one put me in the hospital. It was then that I had a MRI and found out the 1st one had fused perfectly and the 2nd one was already fusing pretty decently. I have 3 vertebrae fused altogether and not a scar from surgeries at all. This was all in my late 20s early 30s, and the neurosurgeon said if I hadn't been in good physical shape I wouldn't have been so lucky. I still do my floor exercises and stretches, they are a must. You will come out in great condition, just do what the doctor says and give it 110% effort with a positive attitude. I also recommend walking and ibuprofen for some relief of pain.
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NKF Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:16 pm

I have 6 had disks now. Take it easy and do some easy walking. For me, the best thing for post surgery was PT in a swimming pool. It really helps with range of motion. It is very easy to over do it too.

NKF

Back to top Go down

Post by NKF Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:16 pm

I have 6 had disks now. Take it easy and do some easy walking. For me, the best thing for post surgery was PT in a swimming pool. It really helps with range of motion. It is very easy to over do it too.

NKF

Back to top Go down

Post by TampaTim Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:27 pm

This is the place I go to with gun and ammo questions. I go to a medical site if I have medical questions. It sounds like you do not trust your health care provider. Get a different one if that is the case and go to a facility that specializes in your condition. Your back is nothing to fool around with. Best of luck with your recovery and follow the recovery instructions.

TampaTim

Back to top Go down

Post by dapduh2 Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:33 pm

Pistol champ,

I trust the doc, going back Tuesday. But the pain comes when I lay or sit. I just have adjusted my stance to accommodate it. I figured others have had the same issues so I decided to ask if there was a position or stance that helped them achieve success. I’m not planning on going crazy or pushing the limit, but I’m not going to lay in a bed feeling sorry for myself either
dapduh2
dapduh2

Back to top Go down

Post by Ring3 Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:46 am

Two surgeries so far and still not right. Docs say nothing left to be done for me. Flare ups can and do put me down. I still get along fine most of the time just have to know my limitations. All I take is Alieve. Issue started in 2008. Im still loading railcars and tending to farm chores. Just had to learn how to do it without causing myself trouble and to slow down. 

My advise would be to listen to the medical professionals, give it time and carefully assess how you use your back going forward. I didn’t do any of these things initially and its caused me plenty of grief. Much of it permanent. 

Rob

Ring3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down