Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I have been thinking....

+4
james r chapman
David R
gregbenner
Multiracer
8 posters

Go down

I have been thinking.... Empty I have been thinking....

Post by Multiracer 4/14/2019, 11:53 am

I know..dangerous territory.

So I read all about the process of building our ammo, do this don't do that, use this don't use that, wax vs tumble, etc, etc, etc
What makes the factory ammo such a good benchmark ? We all use similar components to build ours.
Is it nothing more than consistency ?
Ron

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

I have been thinking.... Empty Re: I have been thinking....

Post by gregbenner 4/14/2019, 1:06 pm

Hmmm.  I’ve only thought certain factory ammo, in certain calibers. was useful as a benchmark? In those instances I have thought is was consistency.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by David R 4/14/2019, 2:35 pm

Have you reloaded yet?

Once I did, I learned a respect for factory ammo. It takes a while to be able to make stuff that is better.

David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 4/14/2019, 5:30 pm

I found certain factory ammo was consistent in its accuracy.
Fed gm45
Old rem 38 hbwc
Old win mark III in .22

I just see what I can assemble to reasonably match those.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by David R 4/15/2019, 8:07 am

I just started loading Zero 185 for the long line.  I compare them to federal 185 FMC.   Last check shooting my Dan Wesson Valor, I was getting 1" 5 shot groups hand held at 25 yards with the federal.   I am getting 1.1" with my hand loads.   Not there yet.  It works out the same on the 50 yard targets.  

With my Kimber that I installed a Kart EZ fit barrel, I am getting 2.3" with federal and 2.6 for my handloads at 50.  

David

Last edited by David R on 4/16/2019, 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 4/16/2019, 7:43 am

I think that it is hard to beat the "Marine Load" worked up by Al Doorman and Dave Salyer. The best ten shot machine rest group I've ever personally seen was sub 1" using this load and a new Rock River wadgun. That being said, Federal 185 grain match wadcutter ammo is darned good.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 4/16/2019, 7:53 am

BE Mike wrote:I think that it is hard to beat the "Marine Load" worked up by Al Doorman and Dave Salyer. The best ten shot machine rest group I've ever personally seen was sub 1" using this load and a new Rock River wadgun. That being said, Federal 185 grain match wadcutter ammo is darned good.

So what is the "Marine Load"?

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 4/16/2019, 9:27 am

185 grain Nosler Competition Match HP
4.1gr VV310 (although some have a higher charge)
Large Pistol primer (I don’t think it matters)
New Cases 
Taper crimp to (.468?)
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 4/16/2019, 11:24 am

Wobbley wrote:185 grain Nosler Competition Match HP
4.1gr VV310 (although some have a higher charge)
Large Pistol primer (I don’t think it matters)
New Cases 
Taper crimp to (.468?)
Dave Salyer gave me an alternate load of Alliant Bullseye, which works very well. It is 4.5-4.6 grains. New Starline cases and taper crimped to around .470". I'm really old. I was surprised to hear the question. Somehow I thought that the "Marine Load" would be long woven into the fabric of what bulleye is.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by David R 4/16/2019, 11:59 am

You folks are the best.   I was loading my Zero 185 with 4.5 Bullseye.  Getting 735 fps.  Not satisfied with the accuracy.   I upped the charge to 4.7.  They seemed a little too much.  Now I read 745 fps is the minimum, so I am now going with 4.6 Bullseye.  That should put me just over 750 fps.  

Thanks for the help.
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 4/16/2019, 12:46 pm

David R wrote:You folks are the best.   I was loading my Zero 185 with 4.5 Bullseye.  Getting 735 fps.  Not satisfied with the accuracy.   I upped the charge to 4.7.  They seemed a little too much.  Now I read 745 fps is the minimum, so I am now going with 4.6 Bullseye.  That should put me just over 750 fps.  

Thanks for the help.
Nothing is written in stone, Grasshopper.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Wells 4/16/2019, 1:22 pm

I believe that the accuracy/consistency of Federal's GM Match 185 gr in part is due to screening all of the components. I weighed out a box of it a few years back and the consistency or lack of variation amazed me. I weight out all 550 cases after I had shot up a half case (500) rds + another 50 and again I was amazed at the consistency. I weighed out some of the spent primers and that was also very consistent. I have called Federal several times regarding their GMM.45185gr ans was told that they screen almost everything. I asked them if that included the completed rds and they told me they screen every loaded rd. Is it possible that the screening of the empty case weight would add to the consistency of the volume of the empty cases?

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer 4/16/2019, 5:25 pm

Gary Wells wrote:I believe that the accuracy/consistency of Federal's GM Match 185 gr in part is due to screening all of the components. I weighed out a box of it a few years back and the consistency or lack of variation amazed me. I weight out all 550 cases after I had shot up a half case (500) rds + another 50 and again I was amazed at the consistency. I weighed out some of the spent primers and that was also very consistent. I have called Federal several times regarding their GMM.45185gr ans was told that they screen almost everything. I asked them if that included the completed rds and they told me they screen every loaded rd. Is it possible that the screening of the empty case weight would add to the consistency of the volume of the empty cases?
Now we are getting somewhere, the factory has a recipe and that recipe includes heaps of consistency.
Thanks for that.
Ron

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Wells 4/16/2019, 11:30 pm

If you weigh out and chart a  box of loaded rounds the lack of variation will shock you. I think that screening the weight of each individual component might have something to do with their success.

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 4/17/2019, 8:06 am

IIRC, when Brian Zins was shooting for the USMC team, they were loading their own ammo. He decided to shoot Federal Match at Camp Perry. He claims that one round was loaded light and that he shot a low 6 at the long line. He switched back to the "Marine Load" and had no further problems. I'm not knocking Federal Match (except for the price). It just goes to show that as good as it is, it can still have a lemon in the bunch. I found in my limited machine rest testing, that any good accurized 1911 would shoot the "Marine Load" well inside the 10 ring at the long line.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 4/17/2019, 8:27 am

If I was a HM, I’d be loading hand assembled reloads.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down