Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My First Bullseye Match

+7
dronning
Aprilian
BE Mike
Dcforman
David R
Outthere
GaryWWhite
11 posters

Go down

My First Bullseye Match Empty My First Bullseye Match

Post by GaryWWhite 4/19/2019, 10:14 pm

I will be shooting my first ever Bullseye match outdoors (a 2700 I think you call it) and am scared $%%less!  I don't know what to expect. I have hardly ever shot at 50 yards and never one handed.  Just need some of you guys to walk me what the match will probably be like, what I need (I know how much ammo and guns) but anything else imperative to take.  This will be on May 19th which is my 69th birthday.  I didn't plan it that way. Any help, comments, suggestions will definitely be appreciated!

GaryWWhite

Back to top Go down

My First Bullseye Match Empty Re: My First Bullseye Match

Post by Outthere 4/20/2019, 5:29 am

Nothing to be scared of. They don't shoot back. Smile

When you check in, mention that this is your first match. They'll walk you through it.

And, Happy Birthday!
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by David R 4/20/2019, 6:52 am

Just have fun!   

Do you have white tape or dots to repair your target?  
A chamber flag? 
Timer for 10 minutes for timed fire? (Not important)
Something to put your spent brass in if you keep it.  
Something to make sight adjustment?
“Eyes and ears”
Pencil

Again, have fun!

David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by David R 4/20/2019, 7:43 am

If someone speaks to you about a safety violation, just comply.  Don’t take it personally.   
We all make mistakes.    

I have never shot a 2700.  All that is around here are 30 round matches.  Some at 50 feet indoors, a few are 25 and 50 yards with turning targets.  None of the local matches we shoot are NRA. 

My wife just started Bullseye 2 years ago.  She is 62.  

Again, just have fun. 

David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman 4/20/2019, 7:54 am

Hmm...

Masking tape for covering holes in your full size target that your repair center doesn't cover.

Stapler and extra Staples.

Small Clip board for score sheets.

Extra ammo, in case of alibis and extra strings

Water and lunch, if not provided

Cash

Chamber flag can be as simple as a fluorescent zip tie

Those are some of the things I forgot at my first match!

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 4/20/2019, 8:04 am

I hope that you are better prepared physically than you are with your equipment. A full 2700 is quite a marathon for someone your age. If your equipment and ammo aren't up to the task, you may get very frustrated and never want to shoot any bullseye matches again. My suggestion would be to ask to shoot only the .22 match. The centerfire and .45 matches are an exact copy of that match. Any decent .22 LR ammo and pistols will shoot in the black at both distances. My other recommendations are to study the course of fire and be familiar with the rule book. Preparation helps keep the monkey off your back.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 4/20/2019, 8:36 am

One way is to just dive in as others have suggested.  

An alternative is to talk to the match director and observe the .22 matches - including watching scoring at the targets.  Then shoot the two following matches as .22 matches.   I did something similar to that and it dropped the stress of my first match that I shot.   Remember, stress will impact both your shooting precision and slow your learning/understanding of what is going on around you.   

As to what you need to take with, most of us have enough to share during your first match.

Welcome to the addiction of Precision Pistol shooting!
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 4/20/2019, 9:40 am

Safety first, definitely let them know you are a 1st timer, pay attention ask questions.  If the Match director will allow you to I'd recommend shooting a 22 for the whole match and for the next several matches or at least until you are comfortable with the process.

Shooting just a 22 will help build confidence, it's less intimidating and less tiring (cheaper too!).  But if you really want to shoot the 45 go for it.  Staying focused will be a challenge, it can be for seasoned shooters too.
Have fun!
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryWWhite 4/20/2019, 10:32 am

Thanks so much for the helpful and needed information!!  I will definitely stock up on the supplies recommended and think it's a good idea to shoot rimfire for the first match.  I have a Mod.41 with a good RDS that shoots like a laser at 25 yards.  I really do just want to have a good time and know if I approach this as a learning experience and as a fun thing, I'll get through it with no problems.  I didn't know it would be so physically exhausting?  I'm not in great shape to say the least. 
Thanks again for all the helpful info!
Gary

GaryWWhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 4/20/2019, 11:15 am

I remember very clearly my first match. I had done my research ahead of time, called the match director, learned what the fees would need to be covered, course of fire, what lunch plans their were or weren’t and what I needed to plan for, I watched the wether like a hawk and had appropriate clothing and rain gear. I was ready to go. Even asked many questions on this very web forum. 

When I arrived, there were already several cars and trucks there. People were already out and setting up their boxes on the line. They mostly seemed to know each other. All seemed to be in a very cheerful mood and joking with one another and talking about past shoots, new or old guns, friends injuries and recoveries, how their families were doing and the sort. A couple seemed on edge and not so talkative but for the most part this seemed like a great bunch of people to shoot along side. 

So I made my way with my gear to the match director and introduced myself. Got paid and checked in. Since I was new they stuck me right in the middle in front of the podium where the match director was to make his calls and commands. They wanted to keep an eye on me and be able to get to me quickly should there be any issues. And for added assurance they positioned two seasoned shooters on either side of me. They were a very supportive and welcoming bunch. 

I only shot the .22LR aggregate and had to leave because I was scheduled to pull range officer duties at another range. I also didn’t have a .45 pistol to use at the time but that didn’t stop three people from offering me a gun and Ammo to use. Still, I had other plans. 

There is nothing to worry about this first match of yours coming up. You’ll find that shooters are some of the most helpful and trustworthy people around. So long as you have the appropriate guns and the correct Ammo, a couple of pens, maybe some pasters, a staple gun (and staples mind you), ear and eye protection, you should be about covered. Everything and anything else will be there in any case. Don’t worry. Someone, who you don’t even know, will have you covered if need be. Watch the wether. Bring water. And most importantly, just have fun. 

This first match will be your crash course as to how a match is normally operated. So pay attention, listen, learn, and enjoy. That is key: enjoy the day of shooting. 

I was nervous because I wanted to do well. And I didn’t want to do something that wasn’t allowed either. Then I decided that I didn’t care how well I did or didn’t do. This was a new experience with nothing to compare it to. I knew how to shoot from another sport I was involved in so I decided to do what I could and have fun with a new bunch of shooters. No more nerves that day. Lots of fun though. Enjoy. Focus. Learn. 

Hopefully this helps you in some way.
Tim:H11
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasShooter 4/20/2019, 8:08 pm

+1 for everything Tim said. I tell new shooters at our matches that the purpose of your first match is to figure out where the bathrooms are...

If you're like most folks there's just too much new stuff to absorb, and expecting to shoot well too might be an unreasonable expectation. Expect to be safe, expect to enjoy the day, and expect to  get a feel for the rhythm and flow of a bullseye match. If you happen to have a couple of good targets mixed with those things then it's a really good day.

TexasShooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry2520 4/20/2019, 8:17 pm

You'll find some very good people at these things so I know someone will help you. Remember you're only shooting against yourself. Don't compare your scores with anyone else. I know it's called competitive shooting but compete with yourself and don't be embarrassed. Just have a good time.

Larry2520

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 4/23/2019, 10:33 am

Larry2520 wrote:I know it's called competitive shooting but compete with yourself and don't be embarrassed. Just have a good time.
I'm inexperienced, and quite frankly not that good compared to people that take practice seriously or have been doing competitions forever.

I went to a competition last year knowing that I was only there for the experience and to have fun. While my .22 scores were indeed disappointing and below my usual practice scores, not only did I get a fun weekend away and two days filled with shooting with friendly people, I completely surprised myself and won third place in centerfire sport pistol. A discipline I had never shot before using a borrowed pistol and the pistol owners ammo.

This year I have been very negligent in terms of practice. I've spent too little time at the range, and much of that has been more play and enjoyment than practice.

But, the competition is coming up in three weeks and I'm going to go and once again participate in every firing line that has a space for me. Let's just hope I don't shoot one into the dirt just over the shooting bench like I did last year. Embarassed
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry2520 4/23/2019, 4:23 pm

Practice is a good thing no matter what. Try to make sure you're learning something as you do so. Things like getting your timing and remaining calm. If you have a re-fire there's almost nothing you can do in practice to get ready for that. I always feel a little uncomfortable being the only one firing my alibi string. Once you get into a friendly competition that can be fun also. Go for it and again have fun!!!!!!!!

Larry2520

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down