Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UltraDot Filter problems

5 posters

Go down

UltraDot Filter problems Empty UltraDot Filter problems

Post by Glenn Barber 11/14/2012, 2:26 pm

Guys, I am sure I'm not the only person on this board that has run into this issue - Many times when I am shooting T/R fire, my Filter will go completely dark on me and of course the results are Misses. (I wanted to say 9's instead of 10's but then you would know I was full of it.) lol! Does anyone have a magic solution to this problem? I have tried putting tape around the filter but that does no good. I am under the impression that after awhile you need to just throw them away and get new ones. Is this the best solution? THOUGHTS? Mad:x

Glenn

Glenn Barber

Back to top Go down

UltraDot Filter problems Empty Re: UltraDot Filter problems

Post by AllAces 11/14/2012, 6:23 pm

On my Ultradot Matchdot the filter screws off. It just has a plastic polarizer filter inside, nothing else. The filter is flexible and can be pushed out.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenn Barber 11/14/2012, 6:42 pm

Yes I know, but recoil makes it turn and go dark as your shooting.

Glenn Barber

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 11/14/2012, 11:05 pm

The filter is composed of two polarizing lenses that are secured with rubber o-rings. There are two possible troubles: 1- the actual adjustable lens is loose enough to turn under recoil, and/or, 2 - one (or both) of the individual lenses is loose enough to rotate under recoil.

The solution to 1, is to secure the outside of the two pieces using tape or a small, wide (lobster claw) type rubber band.

The solution to 2, is to carefully apply a dab of silicone sealer to the very edge of the individual lens where it meets the o-ring or housing. Do NOT use super glue! Super glue will give off fumes that will fog the lenses. You may need to pry the two sections apart to get a good spot to apply the sealer. You don't need to do more than a single small dab, but two shouldn't hurt. Don't make them too big out onto the lens, or you'll be looking at them instead of your dot.

Good luck with it.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Teams
Things of Interest to Bullseye (and International) Competitors

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by jakuda 11/15/2012, 12:40 am

My solution is even easier. I remove one of the polarizer lens. I generally wear tinted glasses suitable to the light conditions anyways.

jakuda

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenn Barber 11/15/2012, 5:35 am

Ed, Thanks for that suggestion - I will try the silicon - The tape thing is not working - I do not know where to get a Lobster claw rubber band unless I go to eat one HA! I have nothing to loose by getting into the Lens.

Jakuda, I have thought of this solution as well - If it is sunny this weekend I will try this as well - I where glasses when I shoot so i will have to see how this goes.

Glenn Barber

Back to top Go down

Post by davekp 11/15/2012, 6:34 am

I make wide rubber bands out of 10 speed bicycle tubes.

davekp

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 11/15/2012, 11:39 am

jakuda wrote:My solution is even easier. I remove one of the polarizer lens. I generally wear tinted glasses suitable to the light conditions anyways.
For those that choose this option, remember that both scope lenses are polarized. If you are wearing polarized sunglasses, the lens on the scope will interact with the one in the sunglasses. If the one on the scope is loose to spin, it will still cause trouble.

Ed Hall

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 11/15/2012, 11:45 am

davekp wrote:I make wide rubber bands out of 10 speed bicycle tubes.
I don't have any of those tubes around, that I can think of, but I believe I have the square equivalent of a standard rubber o-ring sitting in the groove of my filter. (I also didn't know the tube would be small enough to work for a 1 inch filter.) You can get rubber o-rings fairly inexpensively from any hardware store. OTOH, I think you can get the lobster claw rubber bands by attending one of the Lobster Matches put on by Larry Carter in Maine each year. Laughing

I rarely use my filter, but it is in my box ready to "deploy" at the first sign of need.

Ed Hall

Back to top Go down

Post by jakuda 11/15/2012, 12:19 pm

I leave the polarizer on, unless I'm shooting at night, similar to the reason why many photographers leave a UV filter on their lens. it's simple protection and easier to clean than the actual glass lens of the scope itself. Although. the dot is one order of magnitude cheaper usually. =D

jakuda

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenn Barber 11/15/2012, 12:31 pm

Ed, I thought about a O-ring in the groove as well but did not know if it would work or not - I will go get one and try it. Thanks guys for all the ideas.

Glenn Barber

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down