Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Green fiber optic front sight

3 posters

Go down

Green fiber optic front sight  Empty Green fiber optic front sight

Post by Sheriff1962 5/11/2019, 10:57 pm

I recently tried a green fiber optic front sight ( Bomar style rear)  with surprisingly good results. (at 25 and 50 yards) . I heard many times that it is more difficult to shoot accurately with fiber optic front sight . Anyone tired green fiber optic with black rear ?

Sheriff1962

Back to top Go down

Green fiber optic front sight  Empty Re: Green fiber optic front sight

Post by willnewton 5/12/2019, 9:47 am

Yep, I have a 1911 with a fiber optic green front and black rear.  Shoot it pretty good too.

Then I went to a famous shooter’s workshop where they were scoffed at and black sights were declared the way to go.  Then at the same workshop, we were shown how to scratch a gip and or paint the black front sight with a bright color.  “To help bring our focus to the front sight.”

HAHAHA!

I have tried a marker to color the optic rod black and tried to focus on the white highlight that appeared on the shiny black rod end.

I have also shot with no rod at all.  This was interesting because with a 6:00 or sub-6 hold, the white of the target shows through the front sight and does an OK job.  Range lighting conditions can cause variation though.

I even switched to a red rod, but was not a fan.

After my experiments, I went back to the green rod for that pistol.  One of my best 25-yd slowfire .45 targets was shot using it.

Generally, I shoot with a red dot though, but I am a fan of the green fiber front sight.  Learning what you like is half the fun!
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by knightimac 5/12/2019, 8:26 pm

Love green fiber optic front sights thus far.  My son who never shot much pistol began shooting well at 25 yards in one range sessions using green fiber optic front sight (kept most in black and on repair center) with Ruger Mark III.  I have Smith 325 revolver for home defense with green fiber optic front sight.  I also shoot that well.

I think that whatever draws to front sight is likely good for accuracy and speed.  But bullseye accurate and practical accuracy are two different things.  I still shoot bullseye better with my standard ultradot.

I have not experimented at 50 yards yet.  25 yard and under results are pretty good.
knightimac
knightimac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheriff1962 5/13/2019, 4:58 pm

I find that green front sight fiber optic on my gun makes: 1).  No difference with six o'clock or sub six o'clock hold since I just aligning my sights on white background below the bull.   2). Actually helps on the short line ( 25 yards) when I choose to use center hold with my sights on black bull.  Does this make any sense?

Sheriff1962

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down