Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fiber optic front sight, cmp legal ?

+7
bmac
Rob Kovach
knightimac
Fire Escape
Richard Ashmore
jmdavis
DavidR
11 posters

Go down

fiber optic front sight, cmp legal ? Empty fiber optic front sight, cmp legal ?

Post by DavidR 12/17/2015, 9:57 am

With all the changes to what can be used for a cmp service match, can a fiber optic front sight be used, many of the newer 1911s are coming with them these days
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

fiber optic front sight, cmp legal ? Empty Re: fiber optic front sight, cmp legal ?

Post by jmdavis 12/17/2015, 10:59 am

2015 Rules

Higher front sight to accommodate the height of an adjustable rear sight. Colored sights are permitted; the use of fiber optics or light enhancing inserts in sights is not permitted.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

fiber optic front sight, cmp legal ? Empty Re: fiber optic front sight, cmp legal ?

Post by DavidR 12/17/2015, 2:21 pm

wonder if you painted the fiber optic black and the front of it where the front sight bead is white if it would pass, the gun I was looking at comes with one just on front
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

fiber optic front sight, cmp legal ? Empty Worth the risk?

Post by Richard Ashmore 12/18/2015, 4:12 am

DavidR wrote:wonder if you painted the fiber optic black and the front of it where the front sight bead is white if it would pass, the gun I was looking at comes with one just on front

Seems like a lot of money to spend just to find out.  " the use of fiber optics ... is not permitted"  doesn't seem open to much interpretation.
Richard Ashmore
Richard Ashmore

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Escape 12/18/2015, 7:42 am

Unless the sight is really hard to change, why not substitute a solid black one? I was going to suggest just spraying it with 'Sight Black' but that can be easily wiped off - good for other shooting, bad if it happened accidentally in a match and got someone disqualified.

Bruce

Fire Escape

Back to top Go down

Post by knightimac 12/18/2015, 9:19 am

Yes you can paint them.  We got clarification through Rob sometime ago when the rules were changed.
knightimac
knightimac

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 12/20/2015, 10:06 am

Yep. Question asked and answered months ago on the forum straight from CMP.

Guns with fiber optic sights are CMP legal as long as you blacken the sight with nail polish or paint or something.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bmac 9/10/2016, 8:27 pm

Sorry for bringing this post back from the dead, but if I am reading the final rules correctly, fiber optic inserts are now OK on service pistols...

From 6.2.2 http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Rulebook.pdf?ver=20160510

"Higher front sight to accommodate the height of an adjustable rear sight. Colored sights are permitted; the use of fiber optics or light enhancing inserts in sights are permitted."

bmac

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot 9/10/2016, 9:37 pm

bmac wrote:Sorry for bringing this post back from the dead, but if I am reading the final rules correctly, fiber optic inserts are now OK on service pistols...

From 6.2.2 http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Rulebook.pdf?ver=20160510

"Higher front sight to accommodate the height of an adjustable rear sight. Colored sights are permitted; the use of fiber optics or light enhancing inserts in sights are permitted."
...and the words 'are permitted' are underlined, which means it is a rule change.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt 9/11/2016, 7:27 am

I thought I was having a senior moment, since the Rule Book I downloaded a while back, did not have that change in it.  Then I checked the date in the top right corner of the cover page.  What I downloaded was dated January 2016.  The above change is in the May 2016 version.  So nice of them to let us know they did a rule change in the middle of the year.  They don't mention the front sight for the .22 EIC, so I guess anything goes there.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 9/12/2016, 9:12 am

that makes the new colt competition  CMP ready right out of the box! these are nice guns, just bought one a few weeks ago. Defiantly a step above the range officer for the same money. imo
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 9/12/2016, 9:16 am

I'd be interested to hear more about that pistol? Hard to believe a factory Colt could be better than a RO. I know all the new Colts in military service now are frowned upon.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 9/12/2016, 7:07 pm

the Colt has an adjustable rear Novak style sight.. NM barrel

series 80 trigger(blah) but the example of one that I've seen was very nice.

original slide fit was not too bad..

prettier than the RO...
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 9/13/2016, 2:04 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:I'd be interested to hear more about that pistol? Hard to believe a factory Colt could be better than a RO. I know all the new Colts in military service now are frowned upon.
Jon
The gun I purchased has a good frame/slide fit it has a Colt national match barrel which have been proven very accurate by ransom testing at Travis Strahan'shop as they use quite a few of them now in gun builds. The sights are fiber optic, one thing I don't like is the novak built rear sight has only a elevation screw, windage has a set screw that must be loosened to set it. It is a series 80 setup, but that's easy to replace if you desire to. It has a high front cut on the frame, it feels better in my hand than a RO does but that's me. ive also been told by the accu-lock guys the steel is better quality than springfield uses in the RO as they have built many of them as well. It comes with a very nice set of VZ micarta grips too. Oh it only comes with one mag. I paid 725.00 + tax
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down