Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SIG P240 Barrel Bulge

3 posters

Go down

SIG P240 Barrel Bulge Empty SIG P240 Barrel Bulge

Post by biged85 5/29/2019, 2:31 pm

I have heard so much conflicting info on the SIG P240 barrel bulging.  Some say it is because the barrel is .354" in diameter and the bullet is .357" in diameter, causing excessive barrel pressure. Therefore, you have to swag the barrel and cast your own bullets. But the Smith Model 52 has the same barrel diameter, shoots the same bullet and has no problem.
Some say it is rare and only caused by the skirt of a HBWC separating.  Help!!

biged85

Back to top Go down

SIG P240 Barrel Bulge Empty Re: SIG P240 Barrel Bulge

Post by dronning 5/29/2019, 4:17 pm

biged85 wrote:Some say it is rare and only caused by the skirt of a HBWC separating.  Help!!
More than a few M52's have bulged barrels due to this, which is usually due to a load that's a little too hot.  

I forgot to attach the SIG letter referencing this issue and the discontinuance of the .38 Special because of it. - see below

My M52
I knowingly bought one with a bulged barrel.  A friend had 2 M52's and decided to sell one, so we took them to the range and ransom rested them, they were both very accurate so I took the pretty one.  Got it home cleaned it and found a very slight bulge just past the chamber.  Apparently it was small enough and in a spot that didn't impact accuracy. He insisted that either I take the other gun or he'd give me my money back, but I kept it thinking I could pick up a spare barrel just in case.  That was 5 years ago, never did need or find a barrel, it's still very accurate.  Clark (is) & KKM (hopefully) are now making them.
- Dave

Important Communication

On purchasing the SIG-Hammerli P240 pistol you have received a perfect firearm with regard to technical characteristics and quality, for which we guarantee as such.
Unfortunately it has been pointed out to us for some time already that the ammunition .38 Special Wadcutter, as well as hand-loaded ammunition, which is available for this firearm, can lead to damage of the pistol in rare cases. We are in no way responsible for these disadvantages which are in the form of retained shots (approx 1 case per 100 000 shots) or even of causing cracks in the barrel (approx 1 case in 1 000 000 shots) and thus cannot accept any liability for them.
Numerous tests and expertises which we had carried out immediately, clearly indicated that the firearm operates perfectly with regard to its design, material and manufacture and that the damages mentioned were only due to the use of faulty ammunition.
We have seen to it that the firm, Dynamit Nobel Ltd (Geco), assumes the responsibility for such ammunition produced and that this company also accepts the full liability. Our attempts in this direction with other ammunition producers have been unsuccessful up to the present.
Although we are convinced of the quality of the P240 pistol, we cannot however have an influence on the ammunition used by the marksman. It is with great regret that we have thus decided to discontinue the manufacture of this excellent and very popular pistol.
We hope to have made the situation clear with this communication. We would like to emphasize and draw your attention to the fact that, should you have sold or lent your pistol to anyone in the meantime, it is your responsibility to inform the present owner of this communication, since you are fully liable for any damage which may be incurred. It need hardly be said that we deeply regret such a development, especially as we have no influence on it. We feel obliged, however, to provide you with this information.
This communication only applies to .38 calibre Special Wadcutter and not to the .32 calibre Smith & Wesson Long and .22 calibre long rifle.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 5/29/2019, 5:16 pm

Search this forum, - there was a tread regarding very same topic about a 6-7 months ago. I've posted on that tread, so you can try searching by my posts.

Penn Bullets offer to size DEWC in .356", -tested in P240 without any issues.
AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

SIG P240 Barrel Bulge Empty Thanks for your response

Post by biged85 5/29/2019, 5:40 pm

I have read in other forums by P240 owners that accuracy is not affected by the bulged barrel. Is there any danger of the barrel breaking up or causing any other dangerous situation?

biged85

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 5/29/2019, 6:33 pm

biged85 wrote:I have read in other forums by P240 owners that accuracy is not affected by the bulged barrel. Is there any danger of the barrel breaking up or causing any other dangerous situation?
Using soft loads it's very unlikely BUT the metal has been fatigued (how big is the bulge?) and if you had an accidental double charge a bulged barrel may not be able to handle it??  I've been shooting my 52 with a bulge for 5 years (indoor 25yd only) but my loads are so soft (2.6 CLAYS), with just enough crimp to keep the bullet from moving, it sounds like a primer only load.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down