Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Soft bullet test

3 posters

Go down

Soft bullet test Empty Soft bullet test

Post by bruce martindale Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:32 am

I usually employed hardcast bullets but since l have always had excellent results with zero 185 hp lead ( loaded with 4.2 be), l thought I would test softcast. These were cast from spent pellets with tin added. They cast well with hardness ranging from 5, as expected, to as high as 9 when more tin was present or other bars got into the mix.

Care was needed to avoid distortion of the base or diameter during seating . I used Hornady 454 Casull dies for a minimal resize.

I found they shot well and didn't lead but I got an unexpected problem. They have less barrel resistance and hence when loaded with 4.6 of 231, l got much lower velocities and pressures (75 fps typically) l also got malfunctions.

I'll test again wih faster powders and heavier loads. Comments/Thoughts?

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Soft bullet test Empty Re: Soft bullet test

Post by noylj Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:58 am

Stay around 10-13 BHN for almost lead bullets in handguns. I "assume" this is for .45 Auto.
You control swagging down the bullet OD not with a larger sizing die, but an expander plug that gives a case ID (not case mouth flare) that is 0.001-0.002" less than bullet diameter. Measure the sized case ID and the sized case post-expansion and determine is you are in the 1-2 mil range that is optimum. If so, use the standard sizing die. If the ID is not changed, then the ID is most likely too large to really be able to grip the bullet.
Did you try to push the bullet into the case after seating to verify that the case tension was good enough?
Wouldn't less barrel resistance mean more velocity since there is less loss due to friction?

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by sharkdoctor Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:21 pm

Bruce,

I assume your Zero 185 HP are swaged.  Do you know the hardness?  I would take a swaged bullet and one of your soft-cast, put them base to base and crush in a vice.  Look at base distortion and evaluate which is softer.  It may be that "soft" isn't the issue, but perhaps something else.

sharkdoctor

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:32 pm

All the swaged bullet companies I contacted reported 10-13 BHN, with most being 13 BHN. Heck, if they wanted to, they could swage 18-22 BHN alloy.
None use "pure" lead as so many seem to think. Zero only makes swaged lead or jacketed bullets.
Soft also means easier to expand and seal the bore...

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:08 pm

So the Zero hp lead and these 2% tin bullets both test out at 9 bhn.

Loading 4.0 BE worked just fine with the cast.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down