Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Aimpoint "Acro P-1" red dot sight

+7
LenV
inthebeech
dronning
SteveT
DA/SA
messenger
mikemyers
11 posters

Go down

New Aimpoint "Acro P-1" red dot sight Empty New Aimpoint "Acro P-1" red dot sight

Post by mikemyers 7/4/2019, 7:59 am

Has anyone tried Aimpoint's new Acro P-1 sight on a 1911?  
https://www.aimpoint.com/product/aimpoint-acro-p-1/

A rail mount is available, which raises the height of the optical axis to 22mm, and fits Picatinny and Weaver rails.  Any thoughts on how this mount will stand up to a 1911?  The H-1 and H-2 Aimpoint sights are more reliable when mounted on a steel Kodiak mount; not sure how this new one will stand up.

Smaller battery, waterproof, totally enclosed (optical glass is inside the sight) and rugged, one-year battery life constantly on...

Interesting video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78jCaIF1OMI. or. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP3_UF1sr3Q

Is this a step up or down from the small H-1 and H-2 sights?  How suitable is it for Bullseye?

New Aimpoint "Acro P-1" red dot sight Csm_200504_ACRO_P-1_1_RF_1600x1180px_8bit_97360006ea
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

New Aimpoint "Acro P-1" red dot sight Empty Re: New Aimpoint "Acro P-1" red dot sight

Post by messenger 7/4/2019, 9:12 am

No way to put shades on it. Shades a must IMHO.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

New Aimpoint "Acro P-1" red dot sight Empty Re: New Aimpoint "Acro P-1" red dot sight

Post by DA/SA 7/4/2019, 9:18 am

Wouldn't care for it.

There is something to be said about shooting a round target using a round dot in a round scope.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 7/4/2019, 9:19 am

mikemyers wrote:The H-1 and H-2 Aimpoint sights are more reliable when mounted on a steel Kodiak mount
The Kodiak mount is nice, but it isn't necessary. Aimpoint sights are very reliable with the factory mount.

The Acro looks like a nice sight, though for bullseye I don't see much advantage over the Micro, maybe the sight sits a little closer to the barrel. Here's some random thoughts and observation for what it's worth.

• Cost is similar to Micro
  • It's light, but they don't give the weight with a mount, so it's probably similar to a Micro.
  • Does it automatically shutoff and can you set it long enough that it won't turn off in the middle of a match?
  • Personally I prefer a dial over pushbuttons, but could live with them if needed.
  • I like that it's 3.5MOA. I prefer a bit larger dot.
  • 0.6 MOA click adjustments is good for Bullseye.
  • CR1225 is not THE standard battery (CR2032), but common enough. Keep a spare or two on hand because you probably won't be able to get one from someone else on the line.

Most of the time, I don't think sun/rain shades are necessary, at least not with a good, anti-reflective, coated optic sight like an Aimpoint. I shot Aimpoints for a few years without them, now I have them. Meh. The one exception is shooting in the rain. I believe they would be better, but haven't tested the theory.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Big_Red likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 7/4/2019, 9:52 am

Not much interest back in this thread:
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t11130-any-new-aimpoint-products-at-shotshow#96841

Non starter for me is the shape. Then when you add the $650 price tag and no way to install shades that makes it a definite no.

A round optic aids the shot process because your subconscious likes concentric circles and will attempt to center them:
Like a round dot centered in a round target centered in a round sight picture (round optic).
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech 7/4/2019, 5:44 pm

Deleted

Last edited by inthebeech on 8/1/2023, 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/4/2019, 6:03 pm

I'm not sure if it needs "shades".  All the working glass is inside; the glass at either end seals the sight from dirt and moisture.  

I'd like to get one just to try it out.
Seems like most shops are sold out.  
I would like one more red dot sight; might try this one.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 7/4/2019, 7:13 pm

Mike, I think you missed this one. The glass on either end is what collects the dirt and moisture. And blocks visibility.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 7/4/2019, 9:52 pm

And oil especially on a 45. Finally got a shade on my 9000SC. I was having to clean off oil 2-3 times a match.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/4/2019, 11:00 pm

LenV wrote:Mike, I think you missed this one. The glass on either end is what collects the dirt and moisture. And blocks visibility.
Len, if you watch this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78jCaIF1OMI ) at the one minute mark they're describing it as "a tube within a tube", with the actual sight encased in a protective enclosure, with very durable glass at either end.   Yes, the glass at either end will collect dirt and moisture but it can easily be wiped off.  They show how rugged the sight and glass is.  

When I clean the lenses on my other sights, I use a special liquid eyeglass cleaner (a lens cleaner would also work, if I had it with me), and I'm extremely careful - as if I was cleaning a lens on my camera.  You might be right, but they imply that you just wipe it off anytime you need to.  The more I read about it, the more I'd like to try one.  

You've got far more experience than me, but there are so many things I like about this sight.  If it wasn't so expensive, I'd already have ordered one.  I still might......
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 7/5/2019, 12:02 am

Hi Mike, In a perfect world there is enough time to clean the lens between shots. During the middle of a rapid fire string not so much. I wasn't really talking about how easy they were to clean but more in the line of how easy they are to get dirty. I gave up using reflex sights for that very reason. One drop of rain water or more likely one drop of oil running down your lens will ruin a whole string. That drop of oil that flies up off your hammer and plops in the middle of your lens only seems to happen after you've pulled the trigger. But, we do this for fun. Your not going to lose this match or the next one because the lens got dirty. Go for it and tell us how they work.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by apipeguy 7/5/2019, 7:17 am

Not saying it would not work okay for bullseye but I think the Acro is being marketed for carry guns and run and gun competitions. It is Aimpoints answer to the Trijicon RMR.
apipeguy
apipeguy

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/11/2019, 1:58 pm

Interesting reading about Aimpoint sights:
https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/88201863-differences-between-aimpoint-micro-sights/

I'm waiting for the next shipment of Acro P-1 sights so I can buy one.  I had a long talk with John in Technical Support at Aimpoint, and I explained how bullseye shooters are mounting the Micro sights on a 1911 using the Kodiak mount from KC.  John suggested I buy another Kodiak, and. use the "#200526 Acro Micro Adapter" to work with it.  I'll post a photo once I have one here.  

New Aimpoint "Acro P-1" red dot sight Screen60
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 7/11/2019, 2:13 pm

I had to modify 2 of these bases to get the Nikon P-tactical to work. Please notice Mike that I don't have any shades on these 3 pistols. I also shoot for fun (when I can) and I suspect I won't be losing any matches because of dirt on the lens either. I am glad your getting that dot.

New Aimpoint "Acro P-1" red dot sight Dscf1415
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 2/18/2020, 6:37 pm

Curious - has anyone here had an opportunity to try an Acro P-1 in bullseye shooting?  Ignoring the potential problem of cleaning the glass, is the dot good, and is it easy to pick up the target?  Are there lots of useable settings for dot brightness?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 2/25/2020, 2:57 pm

WILL NOT WORK FOR TYPICAL BULLSEYE GU !!

Making a long story short, you guys were right, and I was wrong.  My ACRO P-1 arrived the same day as my March 2020 issue of Shooting Illustrated.  (Big article, starting on page 48.)  Ain't no way this sight is going to replace an H-1 or H-2.  There is nothing on the sight that would allow it to mount on my rail, and no easy way to do it at all.  They do sell an adapter for it, which raises the sight by a mile.  

I called Big Tex Outdoors, thanked them for their prompt service, and asked for a return shipping label.  Apparently, it's a wonderful sight, but for this issue (for me) and that the non-standard battery doesn't last as long as the reviewer expected.

I'm back to Aimpoint, Logitech, and "Vortex Venom".
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don 2/25/2020, 4:08 pm

Internet shopping is wonderful, but sometimes it is worth it to hold an item in your hand before you buy it.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by CrankyThunder 2/25/2020, 6:48 pm

Hey Mike:

I have some serious eyeball problems and have been fooling around with various red dot sights.  Not sure what problem you are trying to solve where the H1 is not the best but I recently purchased a Trijicon SRO Reflex sight 5 MOA and have been pleasantly surprised at the performance.  Not sure if you would be interested but Optics Planet (and probably big tex outdoors) has a very generous return policy that you might want to take advantage of.  

Regards, 
Crankster
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 2/25/2020, 6:54 pm

Thanks, Crankster.  I've got an Aimpoint H-1 on  Kodiak base, mounted on a 45, and the H-2 with standard base, mounted on my X-Series. I don't think I have ever seen a Trijicon SRO Reflex sight, but many people here have suggested that a "tube" sight is better for Bullseye than a "Reflex" sight.  

Your thoughts?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by CrankyThunder 2/26/2020, 3:21 am

Hi Mike:

I used to have a H1 on my pardini and as stated, have had serious eye problems with some treatments and surgeries that I will no go into.  The end result was that my H1 and other tube style dots started giving me comets and halos and saturns and galaxcies and a cow jumping over the moon instead of a round dot.  Naturally, wondering which part of the dot to hold in the center of the bull effected my shooting. 

With that being said, I was messing with my other guns, and took a look through my C-More Railway 6 MOA red dot and was amazed at the roundness of my dot.  especially with the new Foster Grant Tri power off the shelf reading glasses I discovered at Rite aid.  

I immediately transferred the C More railway to the pardini and saw a immediate improvement in my scores with the round dot.  The way I figure it, the three lenses of a tube style dot screw up the dot three times as much as the single lens in a reflex sight.  

Well the C more railway wouldn't work for a couple reasons, too high above the barrel and the zeroing adjustments are not up to snuff for a bullseye gun, so I tried a smaller C-more RTS and that reflex was simply too bright for all but the most brightest of days.  Might of been a particular issue with that particular unit but was not enamored with the zeroing adjustments so I tried the Trijicon SRO simply because I have some other Trijicon's and am impressed with their quality and was able to fondle it at the LGS.  

Been shooting with it for a month or so, not enough time to fully wring it out but have shot five matches and a number of practice sessions.  My scores are steadily climbing back to the level that they were before I started having eye problems.  For what it is worth, I look in my old H1 and still see the comet with a flare and a couple of secondary dots but the Trijicon is a beautiful pure round dot.  Went with the 5 MOA because I always liked the larger dot and missed it when I had the aimpoint.  

Regards, 
Crankster
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 2/26/2020, 5:29 am

Quick question - have you had a full eye examination lately by an ophthalmologist (not an optician).  From what you said about  your past treatment, in India they would want to see you periodically, and check both your eye and your vision. I don't know what other eye problems could cause the comets and halos and Saturns, etc., but one condition that would certainly cause them is astigmatism.  IF that is what you have, corrective eyeglasses, or even a lens attached to your sight might correct it.

Next time you go for an eye exam, take your red dot sight with you, and maybe they can give you a prescription for shooting glasses that corrects for this in your shooting eye.  

I've never seen a Trijicon SRO.  I read about it here:
https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2020/1/7/review-trijicon-sro-reflex-sight/
...and supposedly it can be purchased for $500.
If that works for you, it seems to be an excellent Reflex sight.  
Maybe some day someone will show me one.  Until then, the Aimpoint and Matchdot sights are the ones that work best (so far) for me.....    With the Venom Vortex still under consideration.  I like the size and weight.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down