Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Variable rate recoil spring

3 posters

Go down

Variable rate recoil spring Empty Variable rate recoil spring

Post by mikemyers Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:18 pm

Specifically for Bullseye shooting, is there any advantage or disadvantage in using a variable rate recoil spring vs. a conventional spring?

When I bought my Baer in 2017, it came with an 18 pound spring.  Baer sent me a 16 pound spring shortly afterwards.  When I was discussing using the gun only for bullseye loads, they sold me two springs, a standard 13 pound recoil spring, and a variable 13 pound recoil spring.

Since then I have been told that a ten pound spring would be appropriate for the very light loads I'll be using (3.8, and maybe 3.5 grains of WST with Magnus #801 bullets), and I have  both a 10# and an 11# spring on order from Brownell's.  While digging through my folders for where I stashed my spare parts, I found the two 13 pound springs.  With Jon and Dave both recommending a 10# spring, that's what I plan on using, but I'm curious - what would a variable rate spring do for/against performance in Bullseye?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Variable rate recoil spring Empty Re: Variable rate recoil spring

Post by LenV Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:26 pm

I've never found them good for much. It lets the pistol come out of battery sooner. Perhaps too soon. I played with several of course in my lifetime. I think they make it a little easier to chamber a round on your 16# hardball pistol but really can't think of another reason to use them.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:50 pm

Variable rate springs are useful in compensated pistols to help them unlock.  They are of no benefit to our pistols.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:10 pm

Thanks - it will go back into the drawer it used to be in for years, in a "pendaflex folder" I rarely look at.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down