Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Comparison, CCI SV vs. Eley "target".

+18
patch175
CO1Mtn
saltydog452
Wobbley
OldShooter43
10sandxs
TonyH
adminbot1911
Roland Jones
mustachio
DA/SA
james r chapman
orpheoet
Big_Red
jglenn21
JayhawkNavy02
fc60
mikemyers
22 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Comparison, CCI SV vs. Eley "target". - Page 3 Empty Comparison, CCI SV vs. Eley "target".

Post by mikemyers Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

If I say why I'm asking the following, that would probably influence the replies, so I'll make this generic.

For those of you who have shot both in handguns, how would you compare CCI SV ammo, (purchased usually at a rather low cost), with Elay "target" ammo (available through Civilian Marksmanship Program) ?

The two considerations would be "precision" and "reliability", especially in very hot climates.

Both are 40 grain, CCI is rated at 1070 fps and Eley is rated at 1090 fps.

Comparison, CCI SV vs. Eley "target". - Page 3 Img_6511
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Comparison, CCI SV vs. Eley "target". - Page 3 Empty Re: Comparison, CCI SV vs. Eley "target".

Post by mikemyers Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:52 pm

Can you post comparison photos?  What distance?  So far, I haven't noticed any difference in my groups regardless of which ammo I'm shooting.  I think next week I'll try out all of them using my so-far-unused rest.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Comparison, CCI SV vs. Eley "target". - Page 3 Empty Re: Comparison, CCI SV vs. Eley "target".

Post by patch175 Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:55 pm

Back in 06-07 I did some testing with a Ranson Rest & Chrony speed for check. I was testing outdoors at 50 yds with my 5" or 7" S&W Mdl 41s vintage 1970s. The summary of results are that CCI or SK produced 1" groups @ 50 yds in my 41s. Ely / Aquila were accurate but did not cycle my guns reliably all other 22s were noticeably less accurate.

This summer (2019) I checked CCI 0035 & 0032 in the same guns and conditions. The results are:
1. 0032 was still producing 1" groups in a RR @ 50 yds.
2. 0035 best I could get from a RR about 2" @ 50 yds.
The above refutes the rumor that CCI 0035 & 0032 are identical. In addition I get alibis with FTE using 0035 and can feel the variation in recoil. 0032 still shoots the best for my S&W 41s.

Would appreciate others perspective?

patch175

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:21 pm

What is 0032 and 0035?

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:34 am

ProDuct codes for paper and plastic box CCI
CO1Mtn wrote:What is 0032 and 0035?
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:12 pm

0035 packaged 50 rds per paper box. 0032 packaged 100 tds plastic pak.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:18 pm

I have found that the CMP bulk pack Ely shoots and functions well in either my Pardini or Marvel conversions. I have found the CCI SV 0032 or 0035 do well in Marvel, but not 100% in Pardini. I "think" this is due to variation in OAL between CCI and CMP Ely and Pardini mags. IOW, Pardini mags seemed to be ammo OAL sensitive.

My .02
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:21 pm

I'm squinting and trying to see what the bottom two medals are in your photo. The silver-gray ones, with the three shooters - where did you win those?

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:14 am

Allgoodhits wrote:I have found that the CMP bulk pack Ely shoots and functions well in either my Pardini or Marvel conversions. I have found the CCI SV 0032 or 0035 do well in Marvel, but not 100% in Pardini. I "think" this is due to variation in OAL between CCI and CMP Ely and Pardini mags. IOW, Pardini mags seemed to be ammo OAL sensitive.

My .02

I think there's a combination of CCI quality control and SAAMI vs. CIP specs.
For my FAS SP607, found that CCI SV often had problems. Often with failures to feed with the bolt jamming into the bullet or bending the entire cartridge.
Found that CCI HP subsonic shoots almost flawlessly. Variations in OAL length are VERY apparent in the HP bullets, or at least bad QA is. Some dimples are pronounced and deep, others just look like LRN.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:28 am

Geco is made by RWS and does function well in Nelsons  but not the most accurate in mine. I run Sk std plus and pistol match in it without failures.  Like any 22 it pays to test Your gun to see what it likes. My old Marvel loves aguila pistol match of all things
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:12 pm

CO1Mtn wrote:I'm squinting and trying to see what the bottom two medals are in your photo. The silver-gray ones, with the three shooters - where did you win those?

I take it you are speaking of me?

Actually, I think there are 4 shooters on each. The bottom two are Police Marksman Association Distinguished #16 and the other is awarded as member of 1490 Club. A PPC possible is 1500. NRA previously gave out a lucite desk set for 1480 Club. I think both of the above were either 1979, or 1980.

MJ
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by Deerspy Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:29 pm

my nelson grouped CCI, Aguila pistol match, and Eley target all the same about 2" at 50 yard
RR but the Eley has the least amount of failure , Aguila next and CCI sv last

Deerspy

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:31 pm

Years ago ago the plastic 100 box cci was made at a different factory from oo35..i.actually called cci about the two products a few years back. They said it all  comes out of the same plant these days. Just different boxes and lots....
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:49 pm

That's pretty cool MJ.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by saltydog452 Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:21 pm

Like Mike Meyers I spoke with cust serv Justin re CCI SV extraction problems. Justin asked for a brick of my suspect ammo to check into my extraction issues. Later Justin replied that velocity was where it should be and std dev is well within accepted tolerance. I replied that the problem with CCI STAND my guns wasn't with down range performance but with reliable extration. Then I was requested to send them the balance (4500 rds) of my batch. I did and to date haven't had a reply. on the 4500. I did receive a brick of another 500 complete with an overabundance of parrafin on the brass. No reply yet on the wax on the brass case. Paraffin on the case would I guess melt when in hot chamber and cause 'sticky' extraction.

saltydog452

Back to top Go down

Post by Soupy44 Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:09 pm

I can't comment on the functionality as much with my experience as a smallbore shooter.  Bolt action rifles tend to work quite reliably when you at least pay something for your ammo, even CCI SV.  I had to get out of ammo snob mode when I switched to pistol.  CCI SV wasn't even good enough for 50ft practice.

I spent much of my Jr year shooting Lapua Multi-Match, which was below Lapua Master and then Midas.  My Dad and I found a lot that simply shot perfectly in our guns, though not my Mom's gun.  We had dozens of 20x targets with that stuff, and I shot numerous national records with ammo half the price of Midas and Tenex.  

If you are willing to put the time in, you'll find "lower" lots of ammo that shoot exceptionally well.  Reliability I have to guess has the same distribution of good vs bad lots when compared to the number of accurate (consistent) vs lots full of fliers.  Just want to insert the numerous times experienced folks have told me to skip the testing and practice more until I can tell something's wrong with the ammo I'm shooting.  I hear many of us will never get to the level of competency.

100s don't come up regularly enough for me right now, so I'll keep using the cheap stuff so I can practice more (once I fix my wrist problems...not shooting related unfortunately).

Soupy44

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:30 pm

saltydog452 wrote:............Then I was requested to send them the balance (4500 rds) of my batch.  I did and to date haven't had a reply.   on the 4500. ..........
They kept mine for quite a while, and shot a LOT of it before they decided it was fine, and melted wax was causing my issues.  I had the extraction problems, and for me, it seems to have been the wax.  They sent me replacement ammo, which I hope to try this week.

My temporary "favorite" is Eley "target", but I have others to try.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by saltydog452 Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:44 am

Replacement for the initial brick of 500 was received 18 Sept. No printed explanation of findings at CCI. Verbal was veocityl checks ok as does s.d.. There was some, about 1/10 in, wax on the brass. Not all but 'some'.

5000 rounds received Friday. No additional information on how this fared in testing. Kinda doubt that it'd be tested sgain.

Cliff Notes verbal version was that yes, wax on the case was the probable cause. All plus an additional 500 were replaced at no cost.

No mention if assbly line would change the wax and go to a dry lube.

Untill I find a reasonable cost alternative, I will be wiping off wax during half-time televised college football.

WAR EAGLE.

saltydog452

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:52 pm

The reason for the wax, is reduce leading in the barrel.  Maybe you shouldn't wipe too much off.
Not sure.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3