Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trigger reset “issue”

+4
mdlmaker
Willfish30
Jon Eulette
joy2shoot
8 posters

Go down

Trigger reset “issue” Empty Trigger reset “issue”

Post by joy2shoot Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:40 am

The reason the word issue is in quotes, is because I am 99.99% confident, I am the issue.  But about every 2 – 3 matches the trigger on my .22 conversion will not reset during sustained fire.  I keep pulling on the trigger, nothing happens, I then fully release the trigger, reapply pressure but by then I run out of time and get a miss.  My observation is this is the only gun this happens to.  I do not have this issue with any of my .45s or my other .22s.  So, is there something on the conversion I should check to eliminate any possible causes in the gun?  Could this be an indication that something is beginning to wear or needs adjustment (other than myself)?  If it is relevant, the trigger pull is a little over 4 pounds.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Trigger reset “issue” Empty Re: Trigger reset “issue”

Post by Jon Eulette Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:13 pm

How much take up do you have? 0.015" should be minimum. Might not be resetting until your 100% letting off trigger which is not desireable.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:06 pm

Jon, when I look at it, I think the take up is fine.  But I did these two ‘tests’.  For both the .22 conversion and .45, I made sure they were unloaded, racked the slide, pulled the trigger, keeping the trigger held back, I racked the slide again.  I then turned the gun sideways so I could look at the trigger and my finger on the trigger.  I then slowly released the trigger until the trigger reset.

On the .45, as soon as I started to release pressure, the trigger started moving forward.  It’s return travel was consistent and the return pressure was constant until the reset snapped into place.  Sounds stupid, but it was like the trigger was eager to return.

On the .22, as soon as I started to release pressure, the trigger did not move.  Not until I released more pressure did the trigger move.  Its movement was lethargic and uneven.  Eventually the trigger clicked to reset.  It was not a solid snap like the .45.  It was like the trigger was taking a nap and didn’t want to get out of bed.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Willfish30 Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:19 pm

Just a wild shot. Maybe the sear spring, middle leg is not providing enough pressure?

Willfish30

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:17 pm

I would take lower apart and make sure trigger freely travels. Then as stated check middle leaf spring pressure for reset.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by mdlmaker Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:08 pm

I would also check the trigger travel with and without the mag inserted to determine if the trigger bow is rubbing against the mag.

mdlmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:33 pm

Yes! Did you have magazines in place both times?  Could be the 22 mag is draging.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:49 pm

Dr.Don wrote:Yes! Did you have magazines in place both times?  Could be the 22 mag is draging.
When I did my test, I did not have a mag inserted.  As suggested, I will take down the lower and check trigger travel and the sear spring.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  I will keep posted on what I find.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:44 pm

Keep it clean and lubricated. Polish the trigger bow and slots in the frame. Make sure the trigger bow doesn't drag on the magazine. Make sure the trigger moves smoothly. Make sure there is enough pressure on the trigger finger of the leaf spring.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Pbmoser1954 Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:14 pm

I had this problem in the past. Took the 1911 apart and trigger out and spotted that parts were sticky from oil
Pbmoser1954
Pbmoser1954

Back to top Go down

Post by David R Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:25 pm

The trigger should slide in the bare frame under its own weight.    You could also check each leg of the sear spring with a trigger pull scale.    I do this by removing the mainspring housing, swing out the hammer strut and reinstall the sear spring and MS housing.   Holding the hammer in the cocked position.   Put a scale and slowly pull.  You should get a reading as soon as the trigger starts to move.    This will be the disconnecter spring.   Should be about 16 oz.   pull more and you will get both sear and disconnecter spring.   Could be about 32 oz. (16 oz each) more if you halve s 4 lb trigger.   They should be about equal. 

David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by David R Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:30 pm

To check pre travel, put the hammer in the 1/2 cock Notch.  You should have some free play.  

David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down