Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many times to reload .45 brass?

+9
Wobbley
chopper
oldsalt444
John McCormick
Larry2520
BE Mike
CR10X
dronning
Bestdentist99
13 posters

Go down

How many times to reload .45 brass? Empty How many times to reload .45 brass?

Post by Bestdentist99 Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:19 am

How many times to reload .45 brass? 3b93e410
How many times is it safe to to reload .45 brass?
 I lightly spray my brass with case lube  and tumble them,
about 50 at a time in a Zip lock bag, when I heard a distinctive ring unlike the usual “brass sound”. I carefully  looked at each case a found one with a crack. It was a Browning case which I loaded 5 times previously.
Thanks for chiming in.

Bestdentist99

Back to top Go down

How many times to reload .45 brass? Empty Re: How many times to reload .45 brass?

Post by dronning Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:13 am

54 times for this guy's study. It still didn't split but the primer pocket depth was less than SAAMI specs and he felt it wasn't safe anymore.
http://www.massreloading.com/loading45ACP.html
-Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

How many times to reload .45 brass? Empty Re: How many times to reload .45 brass?

Post by CR10X Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:51 am

Case splitting is very dependent on your dies, case mouth expansion for seating, crimp, load density (pressure) and your particular chamber dimensions. Generally the working of the case for sizing, case mouth expansion, crimp, then expansion on firing, and extraction takes its toll on the forward portion of the case.  

But remember not to try to minimize the case mouth expansion for seating, that method just creates too many other problems.  Cases are a consumable product, just keep some records and feel the sizing operation (even on a progressive press).  

To more generally answer your question, about 9 to 10 times for me.  

To more specifically answer the question, I reload in batches of 2,000+ cases (usually add a couple hundred for attrition, etc.), starting with once fired cases (mostly Federal which were fired in new barrels for testing - got a giant batch from one manufacture years ago).   I test (Ransom) my loads the start of each reloading season (early spring), and for each new gun / barrel.  Since I run though about 4,000 to 6,000 rounds per year of .45 - that gives me 2 to 3 reloads per case per year.  Based on history and with my components, etc., its generally about 9 to 10 reloads before I see splits start showing consistently enough to give up on that batch. (Sometimes a split case or two will show up sooner, but after about 9 or 10 reloads it begins to increase in occurrence.)  

And no, I don't see any significant difference in group sizes or scoring even up to the last loading. And as noted above, the case base on a .45 takes the majority of the battering and will eventually get pounded shorter affecting the primer depth, but splitting tends to show up first.  And split cases tend to be ones with feeding / does not chamber issues, so that's another good reason to just start a new batch.  I'm looking for consistency on the long line and reliability on the short line.  And no, I don't separate long line or short line brass.  If its not good enough for one, then its probably not good enough for the other. 

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:08 am

Bestdentist99 wrote:How many times to reload .45 brass? 3b93e410
How many times is it safe to to reload .45 brass?
 I lightly spray my brass with case lube  and tumble them,
about 50 at a time in a Zip lock bag, when I heard a distinctive ring unlike the usual “brass sound”. I carefully  looked at each case a found one with a crack. It was a Browning case which I loaded 5 times previously.
Thanks for chiming in.
I wouldn't reload that case anymore, but I know people who would! Smile
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry2520 Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:16 pm

I've never been so obsessive that I count how many times I load brass. Basically you load it until it splits or like one did to me and blew out. I try to look at my brass before I load it to check for signs of failure. I have unwittingly reloaded split cases before and I'll be durned if I could tell the difference when fired but I assure you I didn't load it again.

Larry2520

Back to top Go down

Post by John McCormick Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:07 am

"I wouldn't reload that case anymore, but I know people who would!"

The same can be said for skeet and trap shooters. Some of them are loathe to part with any shell, ever.

John McCormick

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:40 pm

I just keep on reloading until I spot a crack, usually very small at the case mouth.  I use mostly military WCC cases and still using ones from 30 years ago.  Who knows, maybe 30-40 reloads.  Military brass lasts and lasts.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:39 am

I'd like to find more of that military brass. Anyone know a good supplier?
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:41 pm

Good luck finding military brass. There is some floating around my ut the US Military doesn’t use it much anymore. Most gets combined with the range pickup.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:21 pm

28 gauge is almost always good for one more....so they say.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:35 pm

Wobbley wrote:Good luck finding military brass.  There is some floating around my ut the US Military doesn’t use it much anymore.  Most gets combined with the range pickup.

If you shoot at matches held on a military base, just pick up the brass before they police it up.  It is considered expendable and they won't care if you pick it up and keep it.  If you happen to shoot next to a marksmanship unit soldier/sailor/marine at a big match, they'll give you their brass.  They don't reload it.  They have all the fresh ammo they can use, courtesy of our tax dollars.  

At Camp Pendleton Navy Matches, I used to think that all that brass was policed up was sent to be recycled.  It isn't.  It is given out to sailors who reload their own ammo after the match is done.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:55 pm

I have lots of military 9 mm that I'll have to swage the primer pockets sometime, but I don't shoot 9mil anymore.
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:45 pm

Found a source for military brass -

https://fedarm.com/product/45-acp-military-contract-brass/
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:35 pm

I load and shoot till it splits .. how many times? I have no idea.
Tim:H11
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:36 pm

oldsalt444 wrote:Found a source for military brass -

https://fedarm.com/product/45-acp-military-contract-brass/
it says they are out of stock.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:07 pm

Tim:H11 wrote:I load and shoot till it splits .. how many times? I have no idea.
This one!
The only thing I'd add is until it splits "or I lose it".
I'm still loading some winchester brass from 1967 I scrounged from a ways back.

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down