Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S&W Perf. Center 686 Competitor (Weighted)

4 posters

Go down

S&W Perf. Center 686 Competitor (Weighted) Empty S&W Perf. Center 686 Competitor (Weighted)

Post by tovaert 8/17/2019, 2:14 pm

I saw a used one in like-new condition at a LGS. It looks legal for DR but I was curious if anyone here had any experience shooting one. Accuracy? The stock SA trigger is nice (very slight roll). Iron sights or mount an optic. DA pull is typical. It's heavy though...

tovaert

Back to top Go down

S&W Perf. Center 686 Competitor (Weighted) Empty Re: S&W Perf. Center 686 Competitor (Weighted)

Post by orpheoet 8/18/2019, 9:22 pm

I believe S&W is using EDM techniques for rifling now. I'm in no way an expert on rifling techniques but I can say I have a newer 686 and a 629 and neither one of them will hold the black at 50 yards. I went Distinguished with a '61' M14-1. The new Smith revolvers seem fine for run and gun sports but I'm skeptical considering the 2 newer ones I've had, both of which got sent back. The 686 had a huge gap between barrel and frame on the right side and I ran out of windage adjustment. 629 the rear sight was visibly canted. They did fix both issues.

Last edited by orpheoet on 8/18/2019, 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

S&W Perf. Center 686 Competitor (Weighted) Empty Re: S&W Perf. Center 686 Competitor (Weighted)

Post by Outthere 8/19/2019, 7:18 am

In the past few years,S&W has been putting out, (well, I'll be polite here), JUNK. 

You name a problem, they have it, and quite often, more than one serious problem on the same gun. Canted barrels, bad forcing cones, bad crowns, out of time, etc.

I like those Competitors. But way too heavy for me to shoot one-handed.

If you get a deal on it, why not? If it doesn't shoot, send it to a real revolver smith and he'll get it squared away.
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by adminbot1911 8/19/2019, 8:24 am

The barrel on this one was 5 inches, correct?

I think they're great looking guns with a lot of applications.  I don't see any reason why they'd not be legal for DR, though my first order of business would be to change out the grip to wood to make SA actuating easier.

I have a 686 6 shot with a 4" that hammers in DR.  90+ long line, 275+ overall, if not in my hands then someone else's.  As some know I have labrum issues so my model 14 is more fun to shoot.  But no functionality issues that are due to manufacturing from my end.
adminbot1911
adminbot1911

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert 8/19/2019, 12:26 pm

adminbot1911 wrote:The barrel on this one was 5 inches, correct?

I think they're great looking guns with a lot of applications.  I don't see any reason why they'd not be legal for DR, though my first order of business would be to change out the grip to wood to make SA actuating easier.

I have a 686 6 shot with a 4" that hammers in DR.  90+ long line, 275+ overall, if not in my hands then someone else's.  As some know I have labrum issues so my model 14 is more fun to shoot.  But no functionality issues that are due to manufacturing from my end.
6" barrel...it is heavy but I only held it with all of the weights installed. Lists for $1439 I think I could get it for under $1k. I like that I could also put a dot on it. But if I have to invest a lot to get it accurate it's less appealing. I'd rather just buy one that already hammers...

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down